Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#284614 - 11/28/99 09:09 PM "Where Does He Get Those Wonderful Toys?" Why, from the Toddster, of course!
buck futter Offline

Loc: Central City
I thought I'd share with all of you this newspaper article I read today; I found it alternatingly amusing and pathetic, on a number of levels...

Combined news services

HARTFORD, Conn. - The playthings topping a Hartford minister's annual "warped toy" list have gone from gross to gruesome.

When the Rev. Christopher Rose began compiling the list in 1986, most of the toys he targeted featured mucous or vomit. The themes have grown increasingly violent to include dolls with severed limbs and cut-off human faces.

"At first I thought this was going to be a better year," said Rose, the rector of Grace Episcopal Church. "I was wrong."

The toy topping Rose's list: Curse of Spawn action figure Ryan Hatchet, the bloody disemboweled corpse of a former high school student. It comes with an ax/spear weapon, a shovel, a bendable spine, a handful of bloody hearts and intestines and a small plastic face that can be hung on its belt. Its maker, McFarlane Toys, did not return calls seeking comment Saturday. After last year's list criticized some of his company's toys, Todd McFarlane said parents, not censors, should decide what their children should be allowed to play with.

Along with the "warped toy" list, published Saturday in the Hartford Courant, Rose called for a ratings system similar to that used by the movie industry.

Uh oh, that sounds familiar. Fortunately, though, there was no mention of Mark McGuire's balls...

#284615 - 11/29/99 12:41 AM Re: "Where Does He Get Those Wonderful Toys?" Why, from the Toddster, of course!
Robert Offline

Loc: The belly of the beast
Coinciding with the release of the Spawn live-action film a couple of years ago, CNN did a 15-minute piece on McFarlane which included scenes of Toddler making farting noises into his speaker phone during a conference call with his toy designers. Todd was exhibiting his stringent quality control and aesthetic tastes by helping perfect the sounds he wished his latest action figure to emit.

And Toddler seems to be a regular on rector Rose's "warped" list. I remember seeing at least two TMP toys featured on the list a few years back. I'm sure Todd takes some sort of pride in this. Besides...he's just doin' it for the kids, man!

------------------
~~~Robert Young~~~
members.aol.com/creednail/page/index.htm
The Comics Interpreter Online--Essays, reviews,images, and links to the best sites on the web.

#284616 - 11/29/99 01:14 AM Re: "Where Does He Get Those Wonderful Toys?" Why, from the Toddster, of course!
Rick Bradford Offline

Loc: Texas, USA
It's simply amazing the way some people will devote their lives to cleaning up the world to suit their own tastes. I wish all the concerned parents would contact me instead of the Reverend. I'd be happy to send them an e-mail or letter that says "If you don't want your kid playing with gross toys, don't buy them." I mean, geez, I'm only 30, maybe I'm just being naive...

--Ricko

#284617 - 11/29/99 01:41 AM Re: "Where Does He Get Those Wonderful Toys?" Why, from the Toddster, of course!
Inkognito Offline

I think that two years ago a McFarlane toy was #1 on the list, and that last year his toys were runners-up. I also think that Todd responded to media-inquiries last year with a quote something like: "Yeah, we're all real disappointed, but we're shooting for that #1 spot again next year." Or something to that extent. It was one of his more endearing mass-media moments.

-Ryen-

#284618 - 11/29/99 01:47 AM Re: "Where Does He Get Those Wonderful Toys?" Why, from the Toddster, of course!
Robert Offline

Loc: The belly of the beast
I find all of his "mass-media moments" endearing. If only he'd learn to share his m&m's.

#284619 - 11/29/99 05:11 AM Re: "Where Does He Get Those Wonderful Toys?" Why, from the Toddster, of course!
jack Offline

Loc: Just south of NYC
I always thought his toys appealed to that perverse little part that made your eyes open wider whenever you pulled the wings off a fly or saw someone get run over by a car.

Other than that, his toys are awful, because they break instantly. All the Mcfarlane toys around here are all missing parts, like snapped off at the "fully articulated" joints. When I ask Kyle if he wants a Beast Wars or a Spawn toy, there's just no choice.

#284620 - 11/29/99 06:38 AM Re: "Where Does He Get Those Wonderful Toys?" Why, from the Toddster, of course!
Stephen R Bissette Offline

Loc: wilmington, VT USA
Crystal-ball gazing: quote from next year's dangerous toys press release:

"The toy topping Rose's list: Curse of Spawn 2nd Series action figure Wu Wong, the crispy
mutilated corpse of a former Third World child laborer who lost his life making McFarlane toys. It comes with a mourning family, a week's wages (two small coins) fused to the stumpy remains of a hand, a detachable metal toy-part mold that's part of it's ribcage, a bendable spine, a handful of scorched hearts, blister-pack of toasted intestines, and its own pathetic plastic face that can be draped over the remnants of its skull. Its maker, McFarlane Toys, did not return calls seeking comment Saturday. After last year's list criticized some of his company's toys, Todd McFarlane said Third World parents, not activists, should decide what factories their children should be allowed to work at."

#284621 - 11/29/99 02:29 PM Re: "Where Does He Get Those Wonderful Toys?" Why, from the Toddster, of course!
RICK Offline

Loc: Whitesboro, New York, USA
It is a little known fact that I was able to get Todd McFarlane to acknowledge the existence of (ORCA) Organized Readers of Comics Associated by informing him of a situation I had with the mother of a younger member of our group.

I had been contacted by this irrate woman over the fact that her 10 year old son had gotten a selection of free comics from us, within that bunch, a copy of SPAWN. In fact, the youngster requested it! She was upset with the general 'look' of the book. Upon further discussion, she told me she had not bothered to read the issue in question.

Since we were talking over the telephone, I placed her on hold long enough to look into what exactly her son had shared with me regarding his reading habits and requests.

I then, upon taking her off hold, asked her to READ the issue in question. I also alerted her to the fact that her efforts in buying "Little Jimmy" some of the SPAWN toys had perked his interest in the actual comic book.

Did it end there? No. She called me back several days later, apologizing, and sharing with me that she was wrong, having had enjoyed the story. I didn't 'convert' her ... I merely helped her to discover reason.

Upon hearing this, Todd was nice enough to honor our group by creating a hitman character named "ORCA" in issue #46 (or was that #47? The memory is the first to leave you) Anyway - Just thought I'd share that with you all.

Personally - As far as I'm concerned ... Todd can keep making toys forever!

RICK

[This message has been edited by RICK (edited 11-29-1999).]
orca@eGroups.com

#284622 - 11/29/99 03:35 PM Re: "Where Does He Get Those Wonderful Toys?" Why, from the Toddster, of course!
Jeff Bartoletti Offline

I never had a problem with Todd's toys breaking.

Marv holding Geoff Darrow's head is a Favorite of mine.

#284623 - 11/29/99 05:25 PM Re: "Where Does He Get Those Wonderful Toys?" Why, from the Toddster, of course!
SeanvdM Offline

Loc: Utrecht, The Netherlands
I don't buy that many toys these days, but I have a few of Macfarlane's thingies.
The Sin City action figure was very good, as was his version of The Crow. I've also ordered the Sleepy Hollow figures. they all look great and are a hell of a lot cheaper than all those fancy statues.
On the other hand, I'm still a lot happier with Graphitti's Big Blast action figures (Mage, Grendel and Madman) and there brilliant Jay and Silent Bob set (and I'm VERY happy with the upcoming Hellboy figure).

Now if only DC had the balls to do a John Constantine action figure (smoking a pack of Silk Cuts of course)....

------------------
Paprika Chicken, Baby!

#284624 - 11/29/99 06:35 PM Re: "Where Does He Get Those Wonderful Toys?" Why, from the Toddster, of course!
RICK Offline

Loc: Whitesboro, New York, USA
Todd's SLEEPY HOLLOW toyline better be under my tree Christmas morning. They look real sweet. I'm just starting to get more into that obsession.

Did ya' hear that, Santa!?
orca@eGroups.com

#284625 - 11/30/99 12:35 AM Re: "Where Does He Get Those Wonderful Toys?" Why, from the Toddster, of course!
Rick Bradford Offline

Loc: Texas, USA
Bissette, you're a kook!

--Ricko

#284626 - 11/30/99 07:00 AM Re: "Where Does He Get Those Wonderful Toys?" Why, from the Toddster, of course!
Gwyn Boudreau Offline

Warped Toys?

Frankly I doubt we'll see any kids disemboweling their schoolmates with shovels any time soon but I'd be surprised if there haven't already been cases where children have organised their own "cock-fights" with pet kittens and puppys in imitation of Pokemon. Then there's the obsessive behaviour that the marketing of the line has caused, and which has already been linked to one well publicised juvenile stabbing.

Rev. Rose is clearly suffering a knee-jerk reaction to imagery which while shocking to him (and perhaps most of his generation) is simply a reflection of media which todays children take for granted, and he seems to have no concept of what may actually have a detrimental effect upon childrens behaviour.

"Also on the list are World Wrestling Federation action figures, Jacqueline, a large-breasted, scantily clad woman" Considering Jacqueline is a real-life large breasted, scantily clad woman this can hardly be faulted in the toys. Does he similiarly lambast Beach Barbie as being a large breasted, scantily clad teenager who (with her fantastically exagerated physical proportions) contributes to unrealistic ideals of beauty for young women?

MacFarlanes toys are no more warped than letting children read copies of "The Hunchback of Notre Dame", "The Phantom of the Opera" or "Dracula" and stand as some of the best fuel for young imaginations that I've seen in increasingly PC toy stores.

[This message has been edited by Gwyn Boudreau (edited 11-30-1999).]

#284627 - 11/30/99 11:44 AM Re: "Where Does He Get Those Wonderful Toys?" Why, from the Toddster, of course!
eric hess Offline

mattel's missing the boat on this, big time.

"vampire killer barbie" and "zombie queen barbie" (with "reanimated corpse ken") would be surefire sell-throughs, i bet.

#284628 - 12/01/99 04:07 PM Re: "Where Does He Get Those Wonderful Toys?" Why, from the Toddster, of course!
Chris Medellin Offline

Loc: Dallas, Tx, Dallas County
Just say a press release for McFarlane Toys, concerning new toys in their Movie Maniac line. Coming out sometime next year will be Edward Scissorhands, the Fly (they didn't say from the first movie or second), Snake Plissken from Escape from New York! and,finally Ash from the Evil Dead series!

The last two I wouldn't mind having on my book shelf. They are working on Hellraiser figures , too.

later

#284629 - 12/02/99 02:56 PM Re: "Where Does He Get Those Wonderful Toys?" Why, from the Toddster, of course!
Timothy J Miller Offline

Loc: Portland, OR
He certainly has the right to make and sell them, but serial killers and gore-riddled corpses are inappropriate fare for Toys R Us. I'm wondering when Todd is going to come out with the Ron Jeremy and Seka action figures.

[This message has been edited by Timothy J Miller (edited 12-02-1999).]

#284630 - 12/02/99 03:55 PM Re: "Where Does He Get Those Wonderful Toys?" Why, from the Toddster, of course!
Lomi Monet Offline

Loc: The Hinterland
A Ron Jeremy figure with auto-fellatio action, Kung-Fu grip, and real body hair!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >