Topic Options
#285230 - 12/29/99 08:55 AM Schulz quotes
DanSouder Offline

Loc: USA
I had the opportunity to borrow Peanuts Jubilee, a 25th Anniversary collection published in 1975. (Btw I recommend picking it up if you find it on eBay - it's oversized, hardback, and the reproductions are huge.) Anyway, Schulz had a few things to say that seemed to go with his retirement and I thought I'd post them here. Fair use strictly for review purposes, of course.

His influence on others:

"When I sit behind the drawing board I feel that I am in command. I am comfortable in my studio and I am reasonably proud of many of the things that I have drawn. I think that I have done my share toward contributing to the advancement of our profession and this also makes me proud. There have been a few regrets, of course. I think the fact that the Peanuts strip has always been printed so small (the size of the feature was developed to overcome sales resistance during a time of newsprint shortage) has contributed toward a dangerous and negative trend... There is a real struggle for the limited space that is available in the Sunday section of the average newspaper. Years ago, each feature covered an entire page of the newspaper. This space has shrunk... has made a mockery out of many otherwise fine features."
(Schulz, p.179)

A clue as to what the final strip probably will not include:

"There is sometimes a great temptation to complete one or another of the running themes that are in the feature. It is always tempting to let Charlie Brown kick the football, or to give in and let Schroeder become Lucy's boyfriend. But this is something that has to be avoided. Charlie Brown can never be a winner. He can never win a baseball game because it would destroy the foundation of the strip. We cannot destroy the caricature of his personality any more than we can begin to modify some of his features to make him look more like a real little boy."
(Schulz, p.172)

On creating Peanuts:

"It has always been a mystery to me how we can be accused of overcommercializing something that is basically a commercial product.
"But it really does not matter what you are called, or where your work is placed, as long as it brings some kind of joy to some person someplace. To create something out of nothing is a wonderful experience. To take a blank piece of paper and draw characters that people love and worry about is extremely satisfying. I hope very much that I will be allowed to do it for another 25 years."
(Schulz, p.179-180)

You got your wish, Mr. Schulz. Congratulations.

(Edited for typos.)

[This message has been edited by DanSouder (edited 12-29-1999).]

#285231 - 12/29/99 09:48 AM Re: Schulz quotes
DanSouder Offline

Gah! Please excuse the typo in the title. How embarrassing. I've asked Rick Veitch to fix it.

#285232 - 12/29/99 09:52 AM Re: Schulz quotes
Rick Veitch Administrator Offline

Loc: Vermont, USA
Dan,
For some reason I can't figure out how to edit a topic header. I'll pass your plea on to the real brains of the outfit! Steve???

------------------
Rick Veitch
Invites You To Read THE DAILY RARE BIT FIENDS
updated every day along with news of the world's most popular artform!
THE COMICON.COM DAILY SPLASHis always refreshing!
www.comicon.com/splash

#285233 - 12/29/99 10:36 AM Re: Schulz quotes
Don Markstein Offline

Loc: Earth
Could be worse. It could have been typoed as "Schultz". Then you'd have looked like a semi-literate dork. This way, you only look like a guy whose finger slipped.

Thanks for sharing these timely quotes. What a positive attitude he's always had! Maybe that's one reason his strip shines so brightly.

Hey, here's a trivia question. Does anybody (besides Nat Gertler, who knows everything about Peanuts -- and me, of course, or I wouldn't ask it as a trivia question) happen to know how he got the nickname "Sparky"?

Quack, Don

------------------
HUNDREDS of daily comics -- and MORE!
http://www.stormloader.com/markstein/daily.htm
"Your Daily Dose Links Page"

#285234 - 12/29/99 10:50 AM Re: Schulz quotes
David Watkins Offline

Loc: Mpls, MN, USA
Nicknamed (by an uncle) after Barney Google's horse, Sparkplug. A bunch of us (cartoonists) have been meeting once a month (for nearly 20 years) at O'Gara's in St. Paul. The Schulz family barbershop used to be above. He came to a meeting a few years ago, he's such a sweet man.

------------------

We gotta take over the world for its own good.

Supervillain Team-Up
Ka-Thoom Silverage eList

Messages For The Damned

#285235 - 12/29/99 11:19 AM Re: Schulz quotes
Steve Conley Administrator Offline

Loc: Arlington, Virginia, USA
Done. Thanks for the great thread!

#285236 - 12/29/99 12:33 PM Re: Schulz quotes
DanSouder Offline

Thanks, Rick and Steve. I wouldn't want Don to think I'm a semi-literate dork! [img]http://207.69.158.95/ubb/wink.gif[/img]

#285237 - 12/29/99 06:36 PM Re: Schulz quotes
RICK Offline

Loc: Whitesboro, New York, USA
Nice thoughtful reflection, Dan. I also enjoyed the other posted comments. Is it too soon to feel like something I've enjoyed nearly all of my life is gone?
Best,
RICK
orca@eGroups.com

#285238 - 12/30/99 09:14 AM Re: Schulz quotes
Don Markstein Offline

Loc: Earth
Right you are, David. And Rick, Peanuts will never be gone, any more than the work of Mark Twain or Washington Irving is gone. What you mean, of course, is that new strips won't continue to come out, and that's true -- but Peanuts is a classic, and will live forever.

Quack, Don

------------------
HUNDREDS of daily comics -- and MORE!
http://www.stormloader.com/markstein/daily.htm
"Your Daily Dose Links Page"