Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#285242 - 12/29/99 07:12 PM Harvey Awards Become Jerry Robinson Awards?
Rick Veitch Administrator Offline

Loc: Vermont, USA
I received this press release from Steve Morger two days ago. Thinking it all a bit sudden I e-mailed Kim Thompson for confirmation and background but never heard back. Anyone know anything about this?

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:
COMICS' PIONEER JERRY ROBINSON LENDS NAME TO INDUSTRY AWARDS
FORMER HARVEY AWARDS CEREMONY AT WONDERCON - APRIL 7, 2000
The Jerry Robinson Awards, named in honor of comics' pioneer, Jerry Robinson, will be presented by the Cartoon Art Museum and the Words & Pictures Museum at WonderCon in Oakland, California, in April of 2000.
Formerly known as the Harvey Awards, the Jerry Robinson Awards will continue to recognize creative excellence in the comic art form and are the only awards exclusively voted upon by creators in the industry.
"I am extremely proud to have Mr. Robinson associated with these awards," said Steve Morger, the Awards Coordinator. "No one better exemplifies the excellence in all areas of comic art than Jerry Robinson, having been an accomplished creator, artist, writer, editor, strip artist, ambassador and
historian. Jerry has literally done it all in his 60-year career."
Jerry Robinson started his career working with Bob Kane and writer Bill Finger on the earliest Batman comics in the late 1930s. His comic book career includes work for many of the top publishers of the 1940s and 1950s.
His career also includes being an instructor at the School of Visual Arts, being President of the National Cartoonists Society and winning the coveted Rueben Award for Best Syndicated Panel. With his Cartoonists and Writers Syndicate, Robinson has worked with cartoonists all over the world.
WonderCon, the site of the Harvey Awards for the last three years, will now host the Jerry Robinson Awards. As in the past, all nominations will be made by creators in the comic art field. Nomination ballots will be
available by e-mail during the first week of January 2000. To request an
e-mail ballot, please e-mail your request to Smorger@wendel.com. Written
ballots are also available upon request by sending your request to Steve
Morger, c/o Wendel, Rosen, Black & Dean LLP, 1111 Broadway, 24th Floor,
Oakland, CA 94607. All nomination ballots will be due no later than
February 7, 2000. Final ballots are expected to be available by e-mail on
or around the third week of February 2000.
The Jerry Robinson Awards will be presented at WonderCon on April 7, 2000.
Seats at the pre-award banquet are limited. Please contact Steve Morger
regarding availability. The awards presentation ceremony is open to the
general public and everyone is invited to attend.

------------------
Rick Veitch
Invites You To Read THE DAILY RARE BIT FIENDS
updated every day along with news of the world's most popular artform!
THE COMICON.COM DAILY SPLASHis always refreshing!
www.comicon.com/splash

#285243 - 12/29/99 07:23 PM Re: Harvey Awards Become Jerry Robinson Awards?
John Roberson Offline

Loc: Chicago
Nothing AT ALL against the great Mr. Robinson(I should defend him for the name alone), but,
uh, well, what about Mistah Kurtzman? Would anyone argue Robinson was AS important?(important though he is)
Or is that persnickety of me? http://members.delphi.com/JOHNROBERSON/index.html

[This message has been edited by John Roberson (edited 12-29-1999).]

#285244 - 12/30/99 01:52 AM Re: Harvey Awards Become Jerry Robinson Awards?
Rory D. Root Offline

Loc: Berkeley,Ca.,USA
I believe this was at Mrs. Kurtzman's request.

#285245 - 12/30/99 02:41 AM Re: Harvey Awards Become Jerry Robinson Awards?
John Roberson Offline

Loc: Chicago
Ah. Well, that's different, then. Never mind...

#285246 - 12/30/99 01:23 PM Re: Harvey Awards Become Jerry Robinson Awards?
JackieEstrada Offline

Loc: San Diego, CA 92115
The Splash states something to the effect that the Eisners and Harveys "have been sniping at each other" ever since the two programs were created. I just want to point out that since Comic-Con International took over the Eisners in 1990, we have never "sniped at" the Harveys.

Jackie Estrada
Eisner Awards Administrator

#285247 - 12/30/99 01:30 PM Re: Harvey Awards Become Jerry Robinson Awards?
Lea Hernandez Offline

Loc: San Antonio, Texas, USA
In fact, the sniping has been, um, rather one-sided and Jackie's exhibited superhuman control in answering criticisms of the Eisners, and ignoring snipes.

Lea www.DivaLea.com
April 2000: RUMBLE GIRLS, Image Comics
Near-Life Experience @ ModernTales.com

#285248 - 12/30/99 04:42 PM Re: Harvey Awards Become Jerry Robinson Awards?
Smorger Offline

Loc: Lafayette, CA, USA
Mrs. Kurtzman did make the request and, of course, it was honored. Both Adele's and Harvey's (by name) participation with the awards in the past was a great honor and was and is greatly appreciated.

I would also note that, as of last year, the Cartoon Art Museum and Words & Pictures took over the Harveys/Robinsons. This will be my second year working on the awards. During my tenure with the awards, I have not heard of any "sniping" from the Eisners or of any directed to the Eisners. To the extent that has occurred, I would guess it was from people not affiliated with the awards themselves. Since the basic criteria for each sets of awards are different, I think their co-existence is good for the industry.

#285249 - 12/30/99 09:00 PM Re: Harvey Awards Become Jerry Robinson Awards?
Rick Veitch Administrator Offline

Loc: Vermont, USA
Jackie,
A quick review of Kim Thompson's 'Eisner' thread on this board tells me you're right. Sorry I didn't check it before putting in that 'sniping' remark. I've deleted it from the SPLASH article. Apologies!!

------------------
Rick Veitch
Invites You To Read THE DAILY RARE BIT FIENDS
updated every day along with news of the world's most popular artform!
THE COMICON.COM DAILY SPLASHis always refreshing!
www.comicon.com/splash

#285250 - 12/31/99 09:25 AM Re: Harvey Awards Become Jerry Robinson Awards?
Bradly E Peterson Offline

Loc: Fort Worth, Tx USA
So now, they're not the "Harveys" anymore, they're the "Jerrys"?

Good grief.

------------------
Bradly E. Peterson
Psychodrama Press
"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds"
(Albert Einstein)
www.fastlane.net/homepages/drama/
(Albert Einstein)
www.fastlane.net/homepages/drama/

#285251 - 12/31/99 11:24 AM Re: Harvey Awards Become Jerry Robinson Awards?
Don Markstein Offline

Loc: Earth
I hate to second-guess people by making after-the-fact suggestions of my own (so the names "Carl Barks" and "Julie Schwartz" will not escape my lips -- oops!), but the loss of Harvey Kurtzman's name is very, very sad. They'll have to go far to find anyone else of his stature, who deserves to have an award named after him and whose immense prestige lends credibility to the awards themselves -- and, no slight intended to Mr. Robinson, in my humble opinion, they haven't gone far enough.

Quack, Don

------------------
HUNDREDS of daily comics -- and MORE!
http://www.stormloader.com/markstein/daily.htm
"Your Daily Dose Links Page"

#285252 - 12/31/99 11:32 AM Re: Harvey Awards Become Jerry Robinson Awards?
Joe Zabel Offline

Loc: Cleveland Heights, OH 44106
I think this hurts the awards considerably. Sad news to have at the end of the century.

Does anyone know what specific problems caused Mrs. Kurtzman to withdraw permission for the use of the name? Could these problems be corrected?

Also I'd like to know more about Jerry Robinson. Is he still alive? If so, it must be a thankless task being asked to step into the Great Man's shoes.

#285253 - 12/31/99 12:49 PM Re: Harvey Awards Become Jerry Robinson Awards?
JackieEstrada Offline

Loc: San Diego, CA 92115
Robinson is very much alive. In fact, he was a guest of honor at this summer's Comic-Con International, and he won the Bob Clampett Humanitarian Award. Here is the bio that ran in the Comic-Con program book:

Jerry Robinson began his cartooning career at age 17 as an assistant to Bob Kane, who had just created the Batman character for Detective Comics. Jerry was in on many ďfirstsĒ for Batman and is credited with creating the Joker and for naming Robin, the Boy Wonder. After working for Kane for about a year, Robinson went on to work directly for DC/National, penciling and inking Batman stories and covers. Later in the 1940s Robinson teamed up with Mort Meskin to produce Johnny Quick and the Vigilante for DC and stories for Standardís Fighting Yank and Black Terror titles.
Robinson left comic books for the comic strip world, and in 1953 his first strip, Jett Scott, appeared. Since then he has produced a wide variety of syndicated cartoons, and today his award-winning feature of social/political satire Life With Robinson is internationally syndicated.
Among Robinsonís 30 books is The Comics: An Illustrated History, acclaimed as the definite study of the genre; Skippy and Percy Crosby; and The 1970s Best Political Cartoons of the Decade. This last book served as the genesis for Robinsonís Cartoonists & Writers Syndicate (CWS), which syndicates and exhibits the work of 350 leading cartoonists and graphic artists from over 50 countries.
Robinson has served as president of both the Association of American Editorial Cartoonists and the National Cartoonists Society and is a member of the board of trustees of the International Museum of Cartoon Art (IMCA) in Boca Raton, Florida, for which he also serves as chair of the international advisory board. He has curated exhibitions in the U.S. and abroad, and has traveled the world extensively on behalf of CWS, serving on international juries and acquiring works of major creators for the IMCA.
Robinson has played a major role in court cases involving creator rights, including copyright, trademark, censorship/first amendment, and human rights issues. Among these efforts, he represented Siegel and Shuster in their efforts to obtain financial security and creator credits for Superman, obtained the release of jailed and tortured cartoonists in Uruguay and the Soviet Union, and served on the joint arts committee that negotiated creator protection in the renewal of the copyright law.

#285254 - 12/31/99 12:56 PM Re: Harvey Awards Become Jerry Robinson Awards?
Jim Hanley Offline

Loc: NYC
And he had an apartment at 211 East 33rd Street during the 40's that was immortalized by Jules Feiffer as the studio where the cartoonists scraped the tiles off the wall to cook dinner while working on an all-night deadline push during a blizzard.

------------------
"I love him like a brother. David Greenglas." -- Woody Allen - Crimes & Misdemeanors

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >