Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#285284 - 08/01/02 11:43 AM SUPERMAN: DAY OF DOOM
Steve Conley Administrator Offline

Loc: Arlington, Virginia, USA
[img]/resources/pulse/images/080102_day_of_doom_cover.jpg[/img]
BY JENNIFER M. CONTINO

Almost ten years ago the impossible happened - Superman the greatest hero the DC Comics universe has ever known, died! Sure, he came back, but the event was a boon for the comics industry as scads of people – existing comics fans and those intrigued by the novelty of it all - went in droves, stood in line, and fought tooth and nail to get a black bagged edition of Superman # 75. Some were expecting the comic to be worth a mint. Others got interested in the story based on the massive radio and TV coverage (remember the Saturday Night Live skit? “Aquaman, go talk to fish!”) There wasn’t enough supply for the demand as issue # 75 was reprinted six times with first prints at the time selling for upwards of two and three-hundred dollars. DC Comics, the creators involved, and the comic book stores made out as this newfound interest in comics was definitely good for all. The Death of Superman was one of the biggest events in modern comics history. And now, close to the anniversary, DC and Dan Jurgens are taking another look at the Death of Superman, from a decidedly different perspective in Superman: Day of Doom, a four-issue limited weekly series beginning in November.

The Pulse: Why did Superman die ten years ago?

Dan Jurgens: Everyone accused us of creating a marketing stunt, but it all boiled down to us wanting to tell what we thought was an exciting story. First we wanted to tell the story of the death itself. What excited us more was telling the story of a world without Superman, of the reaction to his death, etc. We had no idea the national media would pick up on it. Honestly, we didn't even think the comic media would do so. It's not like Superman was ever on the cover of Wizard before then.

The Pulse: What was the most challenging about working on those tales?

Dan Jurgens: Keeping up with the general insanity of the time. The books came out in November but it was clear by early October that we had a tiger by the tail. Everyone wanted a piece of it somehow and, in retrospect, it's amazing we ever got the books out.

The Pulse: If you could change one thing about that story now, what would it be?

Dan Jurgens: I'd have built more character exploration into the beginning of the story. Not of Doomsday or Superman, but of the people around him. Doomsday was supposed to be lightning...something that appears without warning or explanation. In Superman's universe of characters, that was pretty rare at the time.

In truth, I probably wouldn't alter much. When the whole story is factored into the equation, from the death on through the return, I think it worked well. Everyone, from Mike Carlin on through all the creative teams, busted their humps to make it happen.

The Pulse: What is Superman: Day of Doom?

Dan Jurgens: Day of Doom explores happenings and incidents around Superman's death that have resurfaced years later. It also explores the time in general, which is my way of trying to explain some of what was happening with the media's reaction to what we were doing. It's also a different look at Metropolis, a city we tried to make as real as possible as we did the project.

The Pulse: How does it feel to be both writing and drawing this series?

Dan Jurgens: It's weird in a fun kind of way. It's been a long time since I drew Superman and to deal with it when part of the story is set in the past is sort of like going to a High School reunion.

The Pulse: What familiar Superman characters will have a role in this story?

Dan Jurgens: Clark, Lois and Jimmy are in the story, as is Superman. Booster Gold and Blue Beetle will appear as frames of reference to the past JLA. The main character, however, is a young, new reporter at the Planet named Ty Duffy. He was given the job of writing a story regarding the Anniversary of Superman's Death. However, how do you write a story about the death of a man who's still alive? If Superman didn't really die, does the anniversary mean anything?

The Pulse: Who - if anyone - influenced how you created Ty Duffy? Is he named after Ty Templeton and Jo Duffy?

Dan Jurgens: Like all creations, the character is a mixed bag of traits, qualities and behavior in people I've known over the years. As for the names, neither come from Templeton or Jo Duffy.

The Pulse: Who else is involved with this project?

Dan Jurgens: Eddie Berganza is editing, Bill Sienkiewicz is inking, John Workman is lettering and the Hi-Fi Colour studios are coloring.

The Pulse: What are some of the challenges to working on this series?

Dan Jurgens: Revisiting the past. Superman is obviously very different now, and going back to a character you did 10+ years ago can be something of a mistake. Still, it's been a lot of fun.

The Pulse: Why should people who don't normally read Superman check out Day of Doom?

Dan Jurgens: For those who remember the event, it supplies a new perspective. For those who didn't experience it but heard about it, it supplies context. Nothing like it had happened in comics before, and never will again.

The Pulse: What do you think of the art you've seen?

Dan Jurgens: I'm very, very happy with the way it looks. I think the book will have a very electric feel to it. There's a sense of energy on the page that I hope readers will really get into.

The Pulse: What do you hope this series is remembered for ten years from now?

Dan Jurgens: Oh, man! I can't conceive of anything like that. When I work, I always want people to read the book and walk away feeling it was worthwhile. I guess that goal will stay constant be it ten days, weeks or years down the road.

The Pulse: What other projects are you working on?

Dan Jurgens: I'm still writing Thor which is really heating up and am also drawing the new G. I. Joe: Frontline mini-series that Larry Hama is writing.

#285285 - 08/01/02 12:23 PM Re: SUPERMAN: DAY OF DOOM
Christian@LEGION Offline

Loc: Wroclaw
Great interview...I look forward to seeing more here at PULSE.

I've always liked Jurgens and I'm interested in seeing how this series plays out. It looks like it's an opportunity to cover all the bases that were missed the first time out ten years ago.

#285286 - 08/01/02 12:57 PM Re: SUPERMAN: DAY OF DOOM
steel: A Long Departed Hero Offline

Loc: The MBA (Mysterious Blue Area)...
WOW! The site looks incredible, although, I wish you'd gotten Dan to talk about the new villain.

#285287 - 08/01/02 02:04 PM Re: SUPERMAN: DAY OF DOOM
Elayne Riggs Offline

Loc: Bronx, NY, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Christian@LEGION:
Great interview...I look forward to seeing more here at PULSE.

As Sequential Tart regulars already know, Jen Contino is probably the best interviewer in current comics journalism.

YAY JEN!!

- Elayne

#285288 - 08/01/02 04:58 PM Re: SUPERMAN: DAY OF DOOM
-OM- Offline

Loc: A Northern Suburb of Armagetto...
...So, who's running the show around here, and where did Mikey & Matty wind up after all?

Shit, I feel like the Earth-2 Superman after the first few pages of Crisis on Infinite Earths #11...

"Suffer Not The Trolls and Little Fools Unto Me, For I Am The New God of Creative Flaming. I even have a neat Kirby(tm) Krackle drawn about me..."

#285289 - 08/01/02 05:41 PM Re: SUPERMAN: DAY OF DOOM
Elayne Riggs Offline

Loc: Bronx, NY, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by -OM-:
...So, who's running the show around here, and where did Mikey & Matty wind up after all?

"Running the show" for the moment are Steve Conley as admin and Heidi MacDonald and Jen Contino as reporters. See Rick\'s announcement in Splash! for more details.

Don't fret, Michael and Matt can be found here . Be patient, that site loads a lot more slowly than Comicon's. I double-dog dare you to register there under your real name. smile

- Elayne

#285290 - 08/01/02 06:02 PM Re: SUPERMAN: DAY OF DOOM
-OM- Offline

Loc: A Northern Suburb of Armagetto...
Quote:
Originally posted by Elayne Riggs:
Don't fret, Michael and Matt can be found here . Be patient, that site loads a lot more slowly than Comicon's. I double-dog dare you to register there under your real name. smile

...I think you know my answer to that one, E.

"The people of Poppup have no need for names. We know who we are."

"Suffer Not The Trolls and Little Fools Unto Me, For I Am The New God of Creative Flaming. I even have a neat Kirby(tm) Krackle drawn about me..."

#285291 - 08/01/02 06:08 PM Re: SUPERMAN: DAY OF DOOM
Grimm Offline

Loc: Philadelphia, PA
This sounds like a great idea! I always wondered what the characters thought of Supes comming back from the dead.

#285292 - 08/01/02 06:45 PM Re: SUPERMAN: DAY OF DOOM
DrCool975 Offline

Loc: Oakland, CA
I tried to register on Newsarama but to no avail. Anybody else have that problem?

#285293 - 08/01/02 06:47 PM Re: SUPERMAN: DAY OF DOOM
howler Offline

Loc: brockton ma usa
hey first its good to know i am still logged on to comiccon and you are continuing to let fans give instant feed back on the news.
I guess DC realized it was a mistake to cut the former Super team out of the mix so it good to have Jurgens back. His work on Thor has really shook up the status quo in that book and I am sure that a few years back he could have done the same on Superman if given the chance.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Steve Conley, The Pulse