Page 2 of 49 < 1 2 3 4 ... 48 49 >
Topic Options
#28865 - 10/03/07 01:07 PM Re: The Bryan Talbot "Extreme Dislike" Thread
gene phillips Offline

Loc: Houston, TX
'"No more" also encompssess "significantly less" or "none at all."'

I don't even wanna know how you justify that definition.

You asked what negative thing Talbot should have said of Smith, and I said only to show no particular favoritism between the claimants and their equal capacity for lying. He doesn't even make the most cursory effort of even-handedness. So he's a dick.

Sometimes the "loonies" tell more truth than the allegedly-sane, albeit not always in an outright manner.

#28866 - 10/03/07 01:11 PM Re: The Bryan Talbot "Extreme Dislike" Thread
Charles Reece Offline

Loc: us of fuckin' a
less and none are no more than. it's part of the simple logic of the term. to wit, 1 is significantly less and no more than 100. 0 is singificantly less and no more than 100.

Talbot has every right to put more weight behind Smith's version than Sim's. I'd call that rational, namely an inference to the best explanation.

#28867 - 10/03/07 02:49 PM Re: The Bryan Talbot "Extreme Dislike" Thread
gene phillips Offline

Okay, make "no more" into "no more and no less," if you will pick nits. I believe you understood what I meant well enough.

Talbot is rational the way FoxNews is rational; i.e., he plays to whoever happens to be his favorite.

I see no intrinsic reason that Sim's version couldn't have happened as easily as Smith's. It's not like Sim put a flying saucer, or even a void, into his version of the tale.

#28868 - 10/03/07 08:46 PM Re: The Bryan Talbot "Extreme Dislike" Thread
ChrisW Offline

Loc: Lincoln, Nebraska USA
Isn't threatening to take someone out and deck them for saying things you don't like an acceptable way of treating people?

Or is it only acceptable if Dave Sim is the one being threatened? If he had said "Jeff, you say one more word and I'm going to take you out and deck you" and Bryan Talbot printed that story, would Jeff Smith be the bad guy here?

"I think ChrisW is the funniest man in entertainment still alive..."
-- the perceptive Tom Spurgeon

#28869 - 10/04/07 06:29 PM Re: The Bryan Talbot "Extreme Dislike" Thread
stanleylieber Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisW:
Isn't threatening to take someone out and deck them for saying things you don't like an acceptable way of treating people?

Or is it only acceptable if Dave Sim is the one being threatened? If he had said "Jeff, you say one more word and I'm going to take you out and deck you" and Bryan Talbot printed that story, would Jeff Smith be the bad guy here?

What do you have against violence, girly boy? smile

#28870 - 10/04/07 08:58 PM Re: The Bryan Talbot "Extreme Dislike" Thread
IvanJim Offline

Loc: Los Angeles
Quote:

While it's not particularly polite to tell your guest that if he doesn't stop belittling and insulting his hostess he'll face physical repercussions, neither is it acceptable when visiting a couple to keep insulting and belittling your hostess to your host, particularly when he's requested several times that you desist in such behaviour.

Perhaps the appropriate action is to warn said guest that he is no longer welcome if his behaviour doesn't immediately change, and that he will be asked to leave the premises post haste if said request is not immediately met. As this, however, might create an even more uncomfortable than already exists situation, perhaps the host might take a more subtle tack.

If the host says "If you don't stop verbally abusing my wife I'm a gonna deck you", in an odd way it allows the "threatened" guest to save face by believing that the host is joshing about physical abuse (whether he actually is or not) but is 'subtly' conveying a signal that the conversation should be shifted. It's, y'know, a guy thing.

The fact that a warning was thrown instead of a punch should be a clear indication that the host is actually trying to problem solve.

#28871 - 10/04/07 09:42 PM Re: The Bryan Talbot "Extreme Dislike" Thread
cincinnatus Offline

Loc: Cincinnati
Quote:
Originally posted by gene phillips:

Talbot is rational the way FoxNews is rational; i.e., he plays to whoever happens to be his favorite.

I see no intrinsic reason that Sim's version couldn't have happened as easily as Smith's. It's not like Sim put a flying saucer, or even a void, into his version of the tale.
Not sure what you're getting at here, Gene. I didn't take it as Talbot saying "here is an objective, third-party witness account" of what happened. It's pretty clear to anyone who has any concept of the whole debacle that if it ain't coming from Sim, Jeff Smith, or his wife, it's not an eyewitness account. And given the viewpoint it seems to express, you can guess which "side" he's on.

I don't expect fair and balanced discussion from a creator who likely has a favorite. I would expect it, however, from a journalist (or pseudo-journalist).

Jake

#28872 - 10/05/07 07:50 AM Re: The Bryan Talbot "Extreme Dislike" Thread
gene phillips Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by IvanJim:
Quote:

While it's not particularly polite to tell your guest that if he doesn't stop belittling and insulting his hostess he'll face physical repercussions, neither is it acceptable when visiting a couple to keep insulting and belittling your hostess to your host, particularly when he's requested several times that you desist in such behaviour.

Perhaps the appropriate action is to warn said guest that he is no longer welcome if his behaviour doesn't immediately change, and that he will be asked to leave the premises post haste if said request is not immediately met. As this, however, might create an even more uncomfortable than already exists situation, perhaps the host might take a more subtle tack.

If the host says "If you don't stop verbally abusing my wife I'm a gonna deck you", in an odd way it allows the "threatened" guest to save face by believing that the host is joshing about physical abuse (whether he actually is or not) but is 'subtly' conveying a signal that the conversation should be shifted. It's, y'know, a guy thing.

The fact that a warning was thrown instead of a punch should be a clear indication that the host is actually trying to problem solve.
If it was a "problem," then it's one the host created (according to Sim) by asking, "What are you up to now?"

I'm not sure that even Smith's account has Sim being abusive to Vijay; both accounts signified to me (when I read them) that what was talked about was all theoretical gender-war stuff.

But see, Smith's account makes it sound like he's the big hero, protecting his wife's honor, and that plays well to a lot of guys, both mainstreamers and indy-fans. Makes them feel big by proxy.

#28873 - 10/05/07 07:55 AM Re: The Bryan Talbot "Extreme Dislike" Thread
gene phillips Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by cincinnatus:
Quote:
Originally posted by gene phillips:

Not sure what you're getting at here, Gene. I didn't take it as Talbot saying "here is an objective, third-party witness account" of what happened. It's pretty clear to anyone who has any concept of the whole debacle that if it ain't coming from Sim, Jeff Smith, or his wife, it's not an eyewitness account. And given the viewpoint it seems to express, you can guess which "side" he's on.

I don't expect fair and balanced discussion from a creator who likely has a favorite. I would expect it, however, from a journalist (or pseudo-journalist).

Jake
So if you're not technically a journalist, it's OK to write any old bullshit you like?

#28874 - 10/05/07 08:02 AM Re: The Bryan Talbot "Extreme Dislike" Thread
gene phillips Offline

Quote:

If Sim had said it, it would be just another incident of "crazy Dave" going ape.

On the other Sim thread, Jesse Hamm expressed concern about Sim's charisma over his followers.

I think he alienates more than he attracts, even to the extent of supposedly-rational people making arguments against him for no solid reason.

Page 2 of 49 < 1 2 3 4 ... 48 49 >

Moderator:  Rick Veitch, Steve Conley