Page 3 of 49 < 1 2 3 4 5 ... 48 49 >
Topic Options
#28875 - 10/05/07 09:47 AM Re: The Bryan Talbot "Extreme Dislike" Thread
IvanJim Offline

Loc: Los Angeles
Quote:
Originally posted by gene phillips:
If it was a "problem," then it's one the host created (according to Sim) by asking, "What are you up to now?"

I'm not sure that even Smith's account has Sim being abusive to Vijay; both accounts signified to me (when I read them) that what was talked about was all theoretical gender-war stuff.

I think perhaps your memory is of Sim's account and not so much of the account told by Smith. My recollection of this several years old incident includes Smith describing telling Sim to ease up several times before isssuing the threat, as opposed to Sim's description of Smith asking him once to cut it out and not even mentioning the possibility of fisticuffs (and thus the after the fact of his invitation to Smith of a boxing match).

Regardless of whether Smith or Sim is remembering this more accurately (presuming my own memory of this is accurate), the contention that a host asking of a guest "What are you up to now?" as being an acceptable excuse for the guest to repeatedly insult his hostess is somewhat disingenuous and it's the type of excuse that is usually used to excuse one's own poor behaviour. It's this type of justifying that has me tend to believe that Sim's behaviour was probably more inappropriate than Smiths.

#28876 - 10/05/07 10:22 AM Re: The Bryan Talbot "Extreme Dislike" Thread
snoid Offline

so um like Becky told me she saw Tommy frenchin' Dawn behind the monkey bars, and I'm like NO WAY so then she is like duh I saw them and then I'm like you lie....

#28877 - 10/05/07 12:34 PM Re: The Bryan Talbot "Extreme Dislike" Thread
gene phillips Offline

Loc: Houston, TX
Quote:
Originally posted by IvanJim:
Quote:
If it was a "problem," then it's one the host created (according to Sim) by asking, "What are you up to now?"

I'm not sure that even Smith's account has Sim being abusive to Vijay; both accounts signified to me (when I read them) that what was talked about was all theoretical gender-war stuff.

I think perhaps your memory is of Sim's account and not so much of the account told by Smith. My recollection of this several years old incident includes Smith describing telling Sim to ease up several times before isssuing the threat, as opposed to Sim's description of Smith asking him once to cut it out and not even mentioning the possibility of fisticuffs (and thus the after the fact of his invitation to Smith of a boxing match).

Regardless of whether Smith or Sim is remembering this more accurately (presuming my own memory of this is accurate), the contention that a host asking of a guest "What are you up to now?" as being an acceptable excuse for the guest to repeatedly insult his hostess is somewhat disingenuous and it's the type of excuse that is usually used to excuse one's own poor behaviour. It's this type of justifying that has me tend to believe that Sim's behaviour was probably more inappropriate than Smiths.
Well, I remember Smith only saying that Vijaya was "annoyed," but it's easy enough to check. Thanks to all the other Sim-threads I know exactly where to find my (secondhand) copy of the Smith JOURNAL issue.

Again, though none of us were there, I have seen Dave Sim speak in person, both individually and before crowds. I imagine that he's probably capable of some sort of boorish behavior-- a lot of us are-- but it's my impression that he doesn't usually project himself as a boor. Hence I find it hard to believe that Smith really *had* to resort to physical threats.

#28878 - 10/05/07 12:39 PM Re: The Bryan Talbot "Extreme Dislike" Thread
gene phillips Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by snoid:
so um like Becky told me she saw Tommy frenchin' Dawn behind the monkey bars, and I'm like NO WAY so then she is like duh I saw them and then I'm like you lie....
Re your sig line:

Nietzsche also said:

"The irrationality of a thing is no argument against its existence, rather a condition of it."

#28879 - 10/05/07 01:01 PM Re: The Bryan Talbot "Extreme Dislike" Thread
snoid Offline

Quote:
Quote:
Re your sig line:

Nietzsche also said:

"The irrationality of a thing is no argument against its existence, rather a condition of it."
as a service for the willfully obtuse this must be repeated;

#28880 - 10/05/07 02:03 PM Re: The Bryan Talbot "Extreme Dislike" Thread
Scott Shaw! Offline

Loc: Sherman Oaks, California, USA
Geez, hasn't anyone realized that this Sim Kong-Vs.-Smithzilla story is taken from Talbot's THE NAKED ARTIST (illustrated by the great cartoonist Hunt Emerson, which should be a clue that this ain't a exactly a tome of "serious" facts), a book of oft-repeated stories about the comic book biz that's clearly labeled "Legends".

Y'know, like myths and legends?

Folktales?

Legends?

Bueller?

Get it?

LEGENDS!!!

This book has stories of autographing breasts, drunken rampages and pants-shittings. It's scandalous and hilarious and wonderful and I know enough of the people mentioned herein that there's at least a ring of truth to these "legendary" tales of comicdom.

(I'm just surprised that Bryan somehow missed the story of how, at the 1972 WorldCon, I covered myself with 18 pounds of chunk-style peanut butter and corn niblets and entered the costume contest as "The Turd", the star of my first underground comix story!)

No offense, folks, but I think you've completely missed the ain't-no-how-serious context of this excerpt from Bryan Talbot's THE NAKED ARTIST.

Aloha,

Scott!

#28881 - 10/05/07 02:14 PM Re: The Bryan Talbot "Extreme Dislike" Thread
gene phillips Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Scott Shaw!:
Geez, hasn't anyone realized that this Sim Kong-Vs.-Smithzilla story is taken from Talbot's THE NAKED ARTIST (illustrated by the great cartoonist Hunt Emerson, which should be a clue that this ain't a exactly a tome of "serious" facts), a book of oft-repeated stories about the comic book biz that's clearly labeled "Legends".

Y'know, like myths and legends?

Folktales?

Legends?

Bueller?

Get it?

LEGENDS!!!

This book has stories of autographing breasts, drunken rampages and pants-shittings. It's scandalous and hilarious and wonderful and I know enough of the people mentioned herein that there's at least a ring of truth to these "legendary" tales of comicdom.

(I'm just surprised that Bryan somehow missed the story of how, at the 1972 WorldCon, I covered myself with 18 pounds of chunk-style peanut butter and corn niblets and entered the costume contest as "The Turd", the star of my first underground comix story!)

No offense, folks, but I think you've completely missed the ain't-no-how-serious context of this excerpt from Bryan Talbot's THE NAKED ARTIST.

Aloha,

Scott!
I respectfully disagree.

#28882 - 10/05/07 02:17 PM Re: The Bryan Talbot "Extreme Dislike" Thread
gene phillips Offline

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Re your sig line:

Nietzsche also said:

I disrespectfully disagree.

#28883 - 10/05/07 02:23 PM Re: The Bryan Talbot "Extreme Dislike" Thread
snoid Offline

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
quote:
Re your sig line:

Nietzsche also said:

I disrespectfully disagree.
OOH a 50 year old plus fanboy who uses EVERYTHING he can to
justify his own love of shitty comics disrespects me. What will I do?

you Gene are no better than a 12 year old girl.

#28884 - 10/05/07 02:26 PM Re: The Bryan Talbot "Extreme Dislike" Thread
Scott Shaw! Offline

Loc: Sherman Oaks, California, USA
But Gene, if you "respectfully" disagree with me, that's not gonna make a very interesting reminiscence about you for my upcoming book, COMIC BOOK FANS WHO DON'T SHARE MY SENSE OF HUMOR.

Of course, with a title like that, it's not gonna be a very interesting book, either.

Aloha,

Scott!

P.S.: Or do you respectfully disagree that I once covered myself with peanut butter? Hey, I was THERE, Gene. -- SS!

Page 3 of 49 < 1 2 3 4 5 ... 48 49 >

Moderator:  Rick Veitch, Steve Conley