Page 48 of 49 < 1 2 ... 46 47 48 49 >
Topic Options
#29325 - 12/19/07 11:04 AM Re: The Bryan Talbot "Extreme Dislike" Thread
gene phillips Offline

Loc: Houston, TX
Byran Talbot wrote:

"I happen to like Dave"

Jeez, I'm glad he doesn't "like" me.

I've said everything I have to say about Talbot's work, and it's unfair to take continued shots against a guy who's said he's not going to defend himself. But nothing BT has said here alters my beliefs about what was done, as exemplified in this early statement of mine from 10-3:

"Dave Sim certainly did himself no favors in hurling two or three unfounded accusations at Gary Groth, but why are his unfounded accusations the only thing at which fandom takes umbrage?

Talbot (maybe relaying stories told him by Smith, who the fuck knows) put a story into print that accuses Sim of being a pissy little coward. Maybe he is and maybe he isn't, but the accusation's no less unfounded than anything Sim said to Groth."

#29326 - 12/19/07 11:17 AM Re: The Bryan Talbot "Extreme Dislike" Thread
Charles Reece Offline

Loc: us of fuckin' a
Quote:
But nothing BT has said here alters my beliefs about what was done,
Did you need to say this? We know.

#29327 - 12/19/07 02:55 PM Re: The Bryan Talbot "Extreme Dislike" Thread
gene phillips Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Charles Reece:
Quote:
But nothing BT has said here alters my beliefs about what was done,
Did you need to say this? We know.
I said it for those who are slow of mind.

#29328 - 12/19/07 07:40 PM Re: The Bryan Talbot "Extreme Dislike" Thread
IvanJim Offline

Loc: Los Angeles
Quote:
Originally posted by gene phillips:
Byran Talbot wrote:

"I happen to like Dave"

Even without the quotes on 'like', there's little chance that you'd have to worry about that. From Talbot or anyone else.

Let's face it, you're just not very likable.

#29329 - 12/20/07 07:44 AM Re: The Bryan Talbot "Extreme Dislike" Thread
madget Offline

I like Gene, sort of. But I don't really know why.

K

#29330 - 12/21/07 10:21 AM Re: The Bryan Talbot "Extreme Dislike" Thread
gene phillips Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by IvanJim:
Quote:
Originally posted by gene phillips:
Byran Talbot wrote:

"I happen to like Dave"

Even without the quotes on 'like', there's little chance that you'd have to worry about that. From Talbot or anyone else.

Let's face it, you're just not very likable.
frown :rolleyes:

#29331 - 12/21/07 04:26 PM Re: The Bryan Talbot "Extreme Dislike" Thread
madget Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Bryan Talbot:

I don't think that Dave has actually read the book. Otherwise, I can't imagine that he would be so upset about it.
Just for the record, this is from Dave's new letter to Gary Groth:

Quote:
Bryan Talbot never contacted me to get my side of the story. Just took Jeff Smith's word as gospel truth. How are you going to change that fact? How are you going to make that into decent human behaviour? How are you going to make that my fault?

What depths of psychosis are you collectively willing to stoop to in order to justify that act on the part of Bryan Talbot: criminally libelling someone and not even giving them advance notice, let alone an opportunity to defend themselves? How you people live with yourselves, I don't know, but that's your problem, not mine.

K

#29332 - 12/21/07 11:36 PM Re: The Bryan Talbot "Extreme Dislike" Thread
Peter Urkowitz Offline

Loc: Salem, MA, USA
It really was very nice of Bryan Talbot to visit us here; hope you enjoyed it, Mr. Talbot!

So, the central point he seems to be making is that THE NAKED ARTIST is "a book of intentionally silly anecdotes which I take many pains at pointing out aren't necessarily TRUE."

Not having read the book, I can't judge just how explicitly Talbot took those pains, but it's hard to argue with the premise when stated that baldly. Basically, none of it is true, so it's irrelevant whether it is well-researched, or takes both sides, or follows any journalistic or historical ethical guidelines. It's all in fun.

Apparently Dave Sim still doesn't see it that way, so I can't tell whether Sim has read the whole Talbot book or just the part about him, missing the "all in fun" caveats. So it's hard to tell whether Sim is offended based on a simple easily-corrected misunderstanding, or whether he is offended based on a more intractable Sim-ian misreading of reality itself.

Or maybe Talbot is misrepresenting his own book, and Sim is right to be offended? But what are the chances of that? smile

#549934 - 06/29/09 11:24 PM Re: The Bryan Talbot "Extreme Dislike" Thread [Re: madget]
madget Offline

Originally Posted By: madget
I haven't heard White Chalk though, might have to give it a spin sometime.

I finally heard this album. It's not great, but I like the song White Chalk itself a lot, and the general style is solid. Better than "Stories" for sure.

Oh, wait ... what? Where am I?

K

#549938 - 06/30/09 12:46 AM Re: The Bryan Talbot "Extreme Dislike" Thread [Re: madget]
Charles Reece Offline

Loc: us of fuckin' a
I laughed all over again. Did Talbot actually read the entire thread? Chee chee, squeaky.

Completely forgot about White Chalk.

Page 48 of 49 < 1 2 ... 46 47 48 49 >

Moderator:  Rick Veitch, Steve Conley