Page 16 of 17 < 1 2 ... 14 15 16 17 >
Topic Options
#294926 - 12/29/02 11:42 AM Re: UPDATED: ROB LIEFELD ON ALIAS, JJ ABRAMS AND HOLLYWOOD
robdandy Offline

Garn,

The Re:Gex will indeed be featured in a back-up feature in the first issue of Youngblood Bloodsport. Thanks for the kind words and your enthusiasm.

Rob

#294927 - 12/29/02 04:51 PM Re: UPDATED: ROB LIEFELD ON ALIAS, JJ ABRAMS AND HOLLYWOOD
Jennifer M. Contino Offline

Loc: PA
Thanks for the information, Rob smile
Jen

#294928 - 01/04/03 06:38 PM Re: UPDATED: ROB LIEFELD ON ALIAS, JJ ABRAMS AND HOLLYWOOD
Phatman Offline

[QUOTE]Originally posted by the ImpactPlayr Justin Vargo:
[QB]Wow you all really have no clue and no respect or idea what the industry or what art is all about.

far to often comics are rushed now a days. I personally would rather wait 5 months for a book that is top notch in sotry and art then some of the crap I get when I read my X-bocks, or half the crap that is put out now a days.

Art takes time it always has and that why we se so many crappy books from marvel, Dc and the like. Did the maters create a painting in a month? No! In a year? No Try more then a year in most cases if not 10+ years. Art takes time.

Rob has always provided some of the best and most dynamic art there is in the industry and bloodsport looks to do the same.

varients are good not bad.

I will wait for this book forever((and I might))

This has got to be an all time record for idiotic statements in one post.I'll comment on a few of them.

1)Comics are "rushed" because they need to be kept on schedule. Regularity and consistancy are the ingredients for any successful comic.

2)If books were all 5 months apart, the already shrinking audience would evaporate.

3)The reason the comicbook companies put out "X-book crap" is that idiots like you buy it no matter how bad the stories or art.

4)As far as art taking time and and the masters, you might want to check out an art history book at the local library. Artists, even the Masters of the Renaissance forward, have had to meet schedules and complete their work for whomever commissioned them. Then, like now, your reputation for completing excellant work in a timely manner was expected.

5)Rob's work was influential and original for it's time. However, the medium has moved far forward in the last ten years and he has failed to move forward as an artist with the industry. He, like McFarlane, were incredibly important figures in the formation of Image and changing the industry as we know it today. By today's standards, his work is not dynamic and certainly not among the best in the industry. However, you could say the same thing about Byrne, McFarlane, et al. Time marches forward in the art world.

6)I'll let the stupidity of the variants comment stand on it's own.

#294929 - 01/05/03 06:17 AM Re: UPDATED: ROB LIEFELD ON ALIAS, JJ ABRAMS AND HOLLYWOOD
siegwulf Offline

Loc: Avon, France
phatman wrote :
"This has got to be an all time record for idiotic statements in one post.I'll comment on a few of them.

1)Comics are "rushed" because they need to be kept on schedule. Regularity and consistancy are the ingredients for any successful comic.

bull$#*t. you can take example with the european comics, fans wait for months, even a year sometimes, for one book (64 pages) and they're still there for the second issue and else. regularity is something you're used to in the USA but this doesn't make a book better.

2)If books were all 5 months apart, the already shrinking audience would evaporate.

So how can you explain why the TPB are really appreciated ? I pik up mostly of my Marvel Comics with TPB now, it's way better. And I know I'm not the only one. period.

3)The reason the comicbook companies put out "X-book crap" is that idiots like you buy it no matter how bad the stories or art.

and what defines a "good" x-book of a "bad" x-book ? Your point of view on it ? Tastes are personal feelings, and I doubt you're omniscient, knowing what's good or bad for fans. Nowadays, people like new x-men or x-statix because they think it's cool but many others think it's shit too. that's not the number of fans that defines a good or a bad book.

4)As far as art taking time and and the masters, you might want to check out an art history book at the local library. Artists, even the Masters of the Renaissance forward, have had to meet schedules and complete their work for whomever commissioned them. Then, like now, your reputation for completing excellant work in a timely manner was expected.

fact is the painters have commands, they have to complete their work for one person (like a king, a merchand or else). Bloodsport is Rob's property, he has no schedule to respect, he can do whatever he wants to. Fans can be deceived of course (and I'll be if the series doesn't ship this month), that's all.

5)Rob's work was influential and original for it's time. However, the medium has moved far forward in the last ten years and he has failed to move forward as an artist with the industry. He, like McFarlane, were incredibly important figures in the formation of Image and changing the industry as we know it today. By today's standards, his work is not dynamic and certainly not among the best in the industry. However, you could say the same thing about Byrne, McFarlane, et al. Time marches forward in the art world.

your point of view. and if rob was a "has-been", why the topic he appears on are always the longest ? 7-8 or more pages each time. Put just his name on a topic and you'll see the results. That still makes him a star, whatever his haters can do or say.

6)I'll let the stupidity of the variants comment stand on it's own. "

variants are for collectiors essentially, does it disturb you so much ? you're not very tolerant.... aren't you ? Or maybe you're just jealous because you can't afford you the prices of these variants covers..... ? the stupidity I see is in the kind of people who can't be cool with that kind of stuff, it's only comic-book, variant covers, nothing fatal. :p

#294930 - 01/05/03 03:10 PM Re: UPDATED: ROB LIEFELD ON ALIAS, JJ ABRAMS AND HOLLYWOOD
Phatman Offline

Siegwulf,

I don't view Rob as a has-been, far from it. He seems to be having a very successful career outside of comics. However, aesthetically it can't be argued that his work isn't up to that of the top artists of today. If your a fan of his work and want to buy it, be my guest. The point that the poster, Impact,was making is that his work would stand up to that of the best artists of today. Rob is still a lightning rod for comment and criticism on any message board. However, if you post about McFarlane, Joe Mad, manga-style artists, Marvel vs. DC, Wolverine vs. Batman, etc. on a comic message board there will be similar arguements and interest. This doesn't make Rob a "star", just an interesting and controversial person to talk about.

#294931 - 01/05/03 06:34 PM Re: UPDATED: ROB LIEFELD ON ALIAS, JJ ABRAMS AND HOLLYWOOD
Lev Bronstein Offline

Loc: Montreal
Quote:
LIEFELD: Obviously BLOODSPORT is late and I'm completely to blame. I choked, froze up, got stage fright, whatever description fits. I keep re-drawing entire sequences, panels, pages, I wasn't prepared for how intimidated I would be working with Mark Millar. Ultimately, it's terribly unprofessional of me and a great example of why I can no longer do regular work. Mark has a great roster of artists that he works with and I didn't want to be seen as the weakest link, although, inevitably, I am and will be. It's shipping at year's end and hopefully the fans who were looking forward to it will be pleased with the end product

Pulseguys, did Liefeld say which year end by any chance?

#294932 - 01/07/03 01:43 PM Re: UPDATED: ROB LIEFELD ON ALIAS, JJ ABRAMS AND HOLLYWOOD
siegwulf Offline

"Pulseguys, did Liefeld say which year end by any chance? "

lol !!!

apparently, the book should ship in some weeks now, some days maybe of this month, january, 2003. wink

#294933 - 01/07/03 01:57 PM Re: UPDATED: ROB LIEFELD ON ALIAS, JJ ABRAMS AND HOLLYWOOD
siegwulf Offline

phatman wrote :
Siegwulf,

I don't view Rob as a has-been, far from it. He seems to be having a very successful career outside of comics. However, aesthetically it can't be argued that his work isn't up to that of the top artists of today. If your a fan of his work and want to buy it, be my guest. The point that the poster, Impact,was making is that his work would stand up to that of the best artists of today. Rob is still a lightning rod for comment and criticism on any message board. However, if you post about McFarlane, Joe Mad, manga-style artists, Marvel vs. DC, Wolverine vs. Batman, etc. on a comic message board there will be similar arguements and interest. This doesn't make Rob a "star", just an interesting and controversial person to talk about.

I completely agree with that. wink
and believe me when I say I'm one of his biggest fan, I'm the creator of the Extreme Genesis website devoted to him and his works. wink

#294934 - 01/07/03 02:56 PM Re: UPDATED: ROB LIEFELD ON ALIAS, JJ ABRAMS AND HOLLYWOOD
ctsmith83 Offline

Loc: Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by Lev Bronstein:
Pulseguys, did Liefeld say which year end by any chance?

Probably 2099. That way it can be part of Marvel's revamped 2099 line. Youngblood: 2099 - the new blood is better than the old blood! :p

#294935 - 01/11/03 01:16 PM Re: UPDATED: ROB LIEFELD ON ALIAS, JJ ABRAMS AND HOLLYWOOD
stlfan79 Offline

Loc: collegeville central
Quote:
Originally posted by robdandy:
Okay, I know I'm behind on a few questions so let me get caught up.

First, yes, Jon Sibal was an Extreme studio grad. He was great back then and he's even better now. Mucho talented.

Second, yes Century will see the light of day. It is one of many books sitting on the back burner while everything comes together. It certainly doesn't hurt that Keron Grant has become so popular of late. The Century stuff is, obvious bias aside, my favorite work that he has done. Close second would be his last X-Men issue.

I was not as impressed with the Avatar's handling of the characters they licensed from me. Is that politically correct enough for you? Those characters will receive renewed treatment soon. And no, it's not because there is a timed clause with Avatar, those properties were never exclusive to them.

And thank you to Impact and others who risk their reps by sharing their enthusiasm with others! I always appreciate the brave and the bold.

Finally, I haven't received any hate mail period, at least not for six-seven years. Nasty posts on message boards, yes, but no hate mail. So now I'm certain I'll be deluged.

Rob

Thanks for getting back to my questions Rob, as always you show respect to your fans by getting back to them. Sorry if I started any hate-mail trends and I can't wait for Bloodsport and Century!
3 Rex Mundi
4 Walking Dead
5 Invincible
6 Majestic
7 Punisher
8 Goon
9 Fables
10 Y
11 Shaolin Cowboy
12 Fell
13 Desolation Jones
14 Doc Frankenstein