Page 13 of 17 < 1 2 ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 >
Topic Options
#294896 - 12/15/02 07:45 AM Re: UPDATED: ROB LIEFELD ON ALIAS, JJ ABRAMS AND HOLLYWOOD
DerekWatson Offline

Loc: St. Albans
Here, here!

Rob is not the only problem, but he is part of the problem. That's why a publisher like Crossgen is a retailer's dream: high quality product that ALWAYS ships on time! More and more of my customers are moving their orders to Crossgen titles. They are fed up with waiting...and waiting...

Obviously, Marvel are the league leaders in this business. Some of their core titles also ship late, but they do eventually ship. If their late title is part of an ongoing series it will still sell to standing-order customers. The casual off-the-shelf customer, however, may be lost -- if it's not there thay can't buy it!

We've noticed a dramatic decrease in shelf sales. Partly because of this and partly because our standing-orders have increased because our customers don't know anymore when their favourite title will ship and they worry that they'll miss the ship day and have a gap in their collection. It's also partly because we can't reorder Marvel product: if our "shelf" customer comes in when we've sold out of Ultimates we can't get it in for him.

Standing-orders are the solution then, you say! Not a problem then, you say?

Wrong!

Because our customers can no longer rely on published ship dates, and they're scared of missing a Marvel issue, they set up standing-orders. Because they can rest assured that we'll reserve their comics for them they no longer feel the pressure to regularly come into the shop to pick up their comics. This means that we'll have unsold stock in our standing-order boxes for longer than the credit time we have with Diamond -- we end up paying for the goods before we've actually sold them!

And, if our customers pay fewer visits to our store we sell less product. Why? It's a physical thing....Customer X comes in only once a month now. He collects his standing-order...it's quite a big pile...."Hmmm, " he thinks, "I get a lot of comics! I won't check the shelves for anything else because I'm gonna be spending too much already!" Before, he came in every week. He only picked up a handful of comics..."This looks interesting. I'll give it a try..."

I have more examples of how things are/can go wrong in the exciting world of comics retailing but I'm boring myself now... :-)

Derek (still on the block; looking for a way off!)

#294897 - 12/15/02 01:46 PM Re: UPDATED: ROB LIEFELD ON ALIAS, JJ ABRAMS AND HOLLYWOOD
stlfan79 Offline

Loc: collegeville central
Rob-the pages look great.
3 Rex Mundi
4 Walking Dead
5 Invincible
6 Majestic
7 Punisher
8 Goon
9 Fables
10 Y
11 Shaolin Cowboy
12 Fell
13 Desolation Jones
14 Doc Frankenstein
15 Ex Machina
If Hellboy was monthly it would be #1

#294898 - 12/16/02 09:36 AM Re: UPDATED: ROB LIEFELD ON ALIAS, JJ ABRAMS AND HOLLYWOOD
Hank Wirtz Offline

Loc: Issaquah WA USA
Quote:
Originally posted by DerekWatson:
Here, here!

Rob is not the only problem, but he is part of the problem. That's why a publisher like Crossgen is a retailer's dream: high quality product that ALWAYS ships on time! More and more of my customers are moving their orders to Crossgen titles. They are fed up with waiting...and waiting...

Dude, Crossgen rocks. Hard. They have so many safeguards in place to ensure on-time shipping that not only do they deliver on their ship dates, the one time I remember them shipping late (and I don't think it was even their fault) they issued press releases APOLOGIZING and saying it wouldn't happen again...and it hasn't, to my recollection.

On top of all that, they have SO many ways to enjoy their stuff. I paid less for my 2-year subscription to Comics On The Web than I did for the JLA Earth-2 Hardcover. Forge and Edge reprint their books 2 months after initial print for a third of the price.

Color me a fanboy, but I just LOVE Crossgen. They're what's right about comics these days.

#294899 - 12/16/02 11:46 AM Re: UPDATED: ROB LIEFELD ON ALIAS, JJ ABRAMS AND HOLLYWOOD
MSlander Offline

Loc: Arlington, VA
Tis true...

I was shopping in GeorgeTown a while back and two kids in the mall stopped me cause they saw me carrying comics.

They asked me if I was into comics, cause most of their friends weren't these days. They asked what I was buying (TPBacks mostly - from the primo BIG PLANET COMIX - REPRESENT!).

Anyway, point is, both kids were NUTSO for Crossgen.

And those Leifeld pages....well, they DO have backgrounds, which is something I guess (YUUCK.
What is it with Rob and cheekbones?

-- MS

#294900 - 12/16/02 11:53 AM Re: UPDATED: ROB LIEFELD ON ALIAS, JJ ABRAMS AND HOLLYWOOD
robdandy Offline

In the interest of full disclosure and further proof that I'll bite on every bait thrown to me....

The cheekbones in question on the foes of Shaft are indeed severe because they are zombies, hence deeper cheekbones and crusty faces.

I know, I know, but what's Shaft's excuse...

It never ends.

Fortunately.

rob

#294901 - 12/16/02 12:26 PM Re: UPDATED: ROB LIEFELD ON ALIAS, JJ ABRAMS AND HOLLYWOOD
MDC Offline

Loc: Ireland
In the interest of full disclosure, can you disclose where Shaft's sword dissapears to mid flip, when he's upside down with his back to us?

MDC

#294902 - 12/16/02 01:40 PM Re: UPDATED: ROB LIEFELD ON ALIAS, JJ ABRAMS AND HOLLYWOOD
robdandy Offline

The sword was added in post.

rob

#294903 - 12/16/02 01:47 PM Re: UPDATED: ROB LIEFELD ON ALIAS, JJ ABRAMS AND HOLLYWOOD
Elayne Riggs Offline

Loc: Bronx, NY, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Hank Wirtz:
My point remains, though: Gary looks best with a more fluid inker, and Robin certainly fits that description.

That he does. I have to agree with you about Sibal's inks not fitting Gary's pencils very well on that Avengers issue, but I have to figure Gary had his choice of inkers and must have been happy with Sibal. Also, on our copy of Avengers at least four pages were printed off-register, making the art even harder to discern.

- Elayne

#294904 - 12/16/02 02:52 PM Re: UPDATED: ROB LIEFELD ON ALIAS, JJ ABRAMS AND HOLLYWOOD
robdandy Offline

In regards to Sibal's inking over Gary Frank, as Elayne pointed out, Gary probably had veto power over the decision and clearly was comfortable with Jon's inks, especially considering they worked together on the lion's share of Midnight Nation.

Count me among those who enjoy their collaboration. I've also noticed that Frank's style has gradually hardened quite a bit since his Hulk days. He seems to pencil with a sharper edge than before. I am very much looking forward to his Squadron Supreme series with J. Michael Straz.

rob

#294905 - 12/16/02 04:30 PM Re: UPDATED: ROB LIEFELD ON ALIAS, JJ ABRAMS AND HOLLYWOOD
Elayne Riggs Offline

Loc: Bronx, NY, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by robdandy:
In regards to Sibal's inking over Gary Frank, as Elayne pointed out, Gary probably had veto power over the decision and clearly was comfortable with Jon's inks, especially considering they worked together on the lion's share of Midnight Nation. Count me among those who enjoy their collaboration.

Didn't Sibal spend some time in your studios, Rob? I believe he was an "Image west-coaster" prior to going to Top Cow.

- Elayne

Page 13 of 17 < 1 2 ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 >

Moderator:  Steve Conley, The Pulse