Page 8 of 17 < 1 2 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 16 17 >
Topic Options
#294846 - 12/10/02 08:53 AM Re: UPDATED: ROB LIEFELD ON ALIAS, JJ ABRAMS AND HOLLYWOOD
Hank Wirtz Offline

Loc: Issaquah WA USA
Quote:
Originally posted by steel: A New Hope:

Since we are assigning blame here, isn't that Marvel's fault?

Maybe, but it's part of the reality comic buyers face today, and in no way absolves Rob of his abuse of the market.

#294847 - 12/10/02 10:20 AM Re: UPDATED: ROB LIEFELD ON ALIAS, JJ ABRAMS AND HOLLYWOOD
MSlander Offline

Loc: Arlington, VA
Word to your mother Hank...!

It seems the only person Steel wants to heap pity on is Rob Liefeld.

Steel keeps saying that all he wants to talk about re: Rob's professionalism issues is how they effect consumers.

My contention is that the discussion is broader than that - that retailers (who serve consumers) get nailed by this kind of conduct. Rob is not the only offender, but he is perhaps one of the most egriegious in terms of promising work prduct but not delivering.

But Steel is not totally heartless when it comes to retailers. You have to love the bone he throws them... (paraphrase) "They're adults, right...they know the risks..." Wow, FEEL THE EMPATHY! Could he be more of a d*ck?

Methinks not. It seems odd that he would deign to call me closed minded, when he refuses even to broaden the conversation to address how the lateness of these books squeezes retailers.

Steel doesn't seem interested in addressing those points (he's all about the consumer, man) but Hank, you certainly illustrated how Rob's bad habits (and others, yes others) do affect the consumer negatively, as well as the retailer.

Perhaps thats why Steel suddenly started talking about McDonalds. He's suddely run out of excuses for Liefeld and the like. Saying that the comic industry is "fukt" doesn't exactly cover it.

Like I said, if anyone has signed up for the "pity party" posse its Steel and he only has eyes for Liefeld.

Oh and, while I appreciate Mr. Liefeld's candor about when and where he has screwed up, you have to love how he brings up "The Ultimates" being late as a backhanded excuse for his own mistakes.

That was real classy.

I do very much, Mr. Liefeld, your willingness to take it on the chin and continue this dialog with us. It must not be the easiest thing to face snarky criticizm and perhaps we should be more sensitive.

The reality though, is that the proof is in the pudding. If you want to start contributing to the the industry on which you have become something of a cancer, just do the work and stop making excuses. At this point, even your excuses have excuses. Eventually, you will find that no one is listening anymore.

You will find that to be the only way of rehabilitating your reputation with both consumers and retailers.

-- MS

#294848 - 12/10/02 12:20 PM Re: UPDATED: ROB LIEFELD ON ALIAS, JJ ABRAMS AND HOLLYWOOD
steel: A Long Departed Hero Offline

Loc: The MBA (Mysterious Blue Area)...
Quote:
Originally posted by Hank Wirtz:

it's part of the reality comic buyers face today,

Exactly! So is Rob. Life and the comics industry are not fair.

#294849 - 12/10/02 12:31 PM Re: UPDATED: ROB LIEFELD ON ALIAS, JJ ABRAMS AND HOLLYWOOD
Howard Offline

Mr Liefeld:

To paraphrase a multitude of X-MEN covers...

"Welcome to Comicon.com. Hope you survive the experience." smile

Seriously, though, welcome aboard!

#294850 - 12/10/02 12:34 PM Re: UPDATED: ROB LIEFELD ON ALIAS, JJ ABRAMS AND HOLLYWOOD
steel: A Long Departed Hero Offline

Loc: The MBA (Mysterious Blue Area)...
The McDonalds comment was just to illustrate (maybe not clearly enough) that the people that aren't retailers here are just looking for any little thing that they can't change and that they have some half-baked theory about its indirect effect upon the decline of the world (comics industry) to cry about. How many of you would actually buy "Marvel's Captain Phoneybone#17" if there were more at the store? Not me, it'd be $3.50 and probably late itself, short shipped, with shipping damage, and cover material most people hate. I'd excercise my right as a consumer and pass it up. Rob's books, on the other hand, usually arrive at the store looking pretty good at a decent price.

#294851 - 12/10/02 01:18 PM Re: UPDATED: ROB LIEFELD ON ALIAS, JJ ABRAMS AND HOLLYWOOD
Hank Wirtz Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by steel: A New Hope:
How many of you would actually buy "Marvel's Captain Phoneybone#17" if there were more at the store? Not me, it'd be $3.50 and probably late itself, short shipped, with shipping damage, and cover material most people hate. I'd excercise my right as a consumer and pass it up.

You're missing the whole point. Your attitude is "ignore him and he'll leave you alone" BUT HE WON'T. Rob's continued abuse of the marketplace makes your decision to skip a particular comic not a choice at all, since the other comic didn't have a chance to make it to the shelf in the first place.

Simply sneering and saying "It doesn't matter that Rob's crowding other books out of the marketplace because they'd probably suck anyway" is remarkably insular.

(And my example was Captain Fonebone. Captain Phoneybone was his greedy cousin who got them run out of Captain Boneville. I'm still waiting for the Captain Ted the Bug one-shot.)

#294852 - 12/10/02 01:48 PM Re: UPDATED: ROB LIEFELD ON ALIAS, JJ ABRAMS AND HOLLYWOOD
MSlander Offline

Steel,

Your indictment of Hank's "bone" example doesn't really work. Its not just about what YOU want to read. The point with "bone" is that, its a book that may get crowded off the shelves, may never get seen, may be removed from the options available to consumers because of how Rob historically operates.

Hank, through this example, is responding to your earlier (and I think by this point thoroughly invalidated and otherwise extremely insensitive)argument that only retailers need be concerned by Rob's practices.

I feel obliged to point all this out, even though by this point its prety clear that any interest you had in actually discussing this subject is long since gone.

-- MS

#294853 - 12/10/02 01:50 PM Re: UPDATED: ROB LIEFELD ON ALIAS, JJ ABRAMS AND HOLLYWOOD
MSlander Offline

And since when do Rob's books actually arrive at the store. Seems your being mighty presumptuous on that one....

-- MS

#294854 - 12/10/02 02:10 PM Re: UPDATED: ROB LIEFELD ON ALIAS, JJ ABRAMS AND HOLLYWOOD
Hank Wirtz Offline

And FWIW, my example of "Captain Fonebone" is not actually a reference to Jeff Smith's "Bone" (Which is great, go buy all the hardbacks) but rather a generic term for some random superhero. John Byrne uses it all the time in his column at slushfactory.com, and I'm reasonably sure the term is where Smith got the name for his protagonist (not from Byrne, but the generic use of the term).

Anybody want to give an (Off-topic) etymology lesson?

#294855 - 12/10/02 02:39 PM Re: UPDATED: ROB LIEFELD ON ALIAS, JJ ABRAMS AND HOLLYWOOD
siegwulf Offline

Loc: Avon, France
Chris Irvine wrote :
"Stop defending him frenchy, he doesn`t care about anybody but himself. Do you think he cares if the fans have to wait forever for his books? Before anyone gets a copy of Youngblood: Bloodsport 1 i expect a mutiny.

Furthermore, look at disdain he has for the comic-book industry when he talks about it. And these are bad feelings that he was the sole responsible of creating. If he view the industry as flawed, why doesn`t he try to change that by creating enthousisam like Jim Lee did by doing Batman?"

You expect a mutiny ? lol ! don't even bet on it. Of course we're sad to wait again (some weeks) to read Bloodsport #1 but at least we'll read it and we'll sure enjoy it with more enthusiasm as ever.
And of course he cares about his fans, you don't know him. :-)

as for his point of view on the comics industry, you can say what you want but he's always here with a series. Youngblood, Re:Gex, Fighting American, and else. He's always here, doing something that his fans will enjoy.
Of course I ca nudnerstand you dislike his art, his projects, but imagine what us, his fans, enjoy when we receive his newest project in our bare hands !

rob liefeld will probably always be considered as a bad-boy, and we can't change that, all we want is to be respected for an artist we like, just like others like a jim lee or a charest for example. wink

bloodsport will kick a$$, because of rob AND millar. and we'll always be there to promote and defend this series. :p

Page 8 of 17 < 1 2 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 16 17 >

Moderator:  Steve Conley, The Pulse