Page 3 of 17 < 1 2 3 4 5 ... 16 17 >
Topic Options
#294796 - 12/06/02 03:43 PM Re: UPDATED: ROB LIEFELD ON ALIAS, JJ ABRAMS AND HOLLYWOOD
THE C0NSPlRACY Offline

Quote:
It's not a matter of whether we're better than he is, or whether his work has artistic merit or not. It is a matter of constantly soliciting work that is either months late or never appears and his looking at the past through rose colored glasses.

Please. The man knows he fucked up, he even says in this interview that he has problems with keeping on schedule.

I just think it's funny that this is SUCH an issue with some posters who more than likely wont even get the damn thing. If this were XMEN or some other "expected monthly" title than sure, kvetch all you want about the publishing schedule. But this i RL's thing, which didn't have a pre-order of more than 30,000.

RL saying such and such will be out and not living up to it does NOTHING to any of those titles you like to read each and every month.

Sharpe's art ranges from simply capable at best to sorely lacking in detail. - TheFourthRail.com

Part of me wants to pass all this up, since I have no appreciation for Rob Liefeld's artwork...However, Millar is one of my favorite writers, and his interview at Newsarama made the team sound... interesting. Damn him! - TheFourthRail.com

#294797 - 12/06/02 03:47 PM Re: UPDATED: ROB LIEFELD ON ALIAS, JJ ABRAMS AND HOLLYWOOD
j.scott71 Offline

If Rob's so passionate about comics, why is all of his time spent on projects OUTSIDE of comics...develop this movie over there, produce this cartoon over here.

Liefeld's passion was about being a comic book star, not a comic book artist. Looking at the stalemate of his artistic development since coming onto the scene could show that.

The one thing I must give him is his enormous hustle and drive. He gets deals done in tinseltown, or at least pockets enough cash in selling off those ideas. The man is a maddog!

And on a personal note...While it's apparently fashionable to bash Liefeld because you're all obviously better than he is... God, I've always disliked that statement...

Yeah, I think I am better than he is artistically, but I'm in my studio still trying to finish my comics presentation while he's been responsible for comics sales in the millions and has been published, so that fact does make him better.

But one these days, I'm gonna finish that last panel... :p

#294798 - 12/06/02 04:20 PM Re: UPDATED: ROB LIEFELD ON ALIAS, JJ ABRAMS AND HOLLYWOOD
admwriter Offline

Loc: Bear, DE USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Christian@LEGION:
That was a great interview! While it's apparently fashionable to bash Liefeld because you're all obviously better than he is, I wish him the best of luck.

I'm looking forward to seeing what he does next.

I usually would agree with this. Familiarity breeds trendy contempt; ask any pop star from 10 years ago or more.

HOWEVER...

Rob deserves all the criticism he gets. He constantly disrespects his fans by promising work that he never delivers on. Saying the man has a short attention span is not trashing him, it's a fact. His massive collection of unpublished material speaks to that.

Aaron

#294799 - 12/06/02 04:31 PM Re: UPDATED: ROB LIEFELD ON ALIAS, JJ ABRAMS AND HOLLYWOOD
Drew Price Offline

Loc: Pittsburgh-
Quote:
Originally posted by j.scott71:
If Rob's so passionate about comics, why is all of his time spent on projects OUTSIDE of comics...develop this movie over there, produce this cartoon over here.

I think it's because he's pretty much burned alot of bridges in comics, he's been sued alot it seems in the industry and several things happened that never went to court. He can make a biger chunk of change in hollywood, especially since everyone remembers him from the 501 commercial! He says "I worked with Spike Lee"-- hhaha-- So thats smart money wise on his part. I think he needs to just sit down and do the work though. Quit yapping about movies THAT WILL NEVER be made.

djcoffman.com

PV COMICS!

#294800 - 12/06/02 05:05 PM Re: UPDATED: ROB LIEFELD ON ALIAS, JJ ABRAMS AND HOLLYWOOD
SwiftMann Offline

Loc: Baltimore, Maryland
Good interview. I just hope that we do get to see the Alias book this month since it's by a great writer (I don't know why but it cracks me up that J.J. wrote/created Felicity too) and an artist I like.

#294801 - 12/06/02 06:08 PM Re: UPDATED: ROB LIEFELD ON ALIAS, JJ ABRAMS AND HOLLYWOOD
steel: A Long Departed Hero Offline

Loc: The MBA (Mysterious Blue Area)...
Great interview. Sounds like Rob's job now is being kind of an idea man. He must be very charismatic in person to gain the support of J-Ho and other power players(or whatever.) It sounds like he's really building a career for himself. I'll be very happy if I'm where he's at in ten years.

I've always mostly liked his comics. Like he says, he just tries to put out fun stuff. So what if a books late. If it wasn't for him, it wouldn't even come out at all. I really don't understand people getting so upset over a late Liefeld book. There would be no Youngblood comic to be late if he didn't create one. It's not like it's Superman or something. Personally, I'm glad to hear he's redrawing complete sequences, trying to perfect them because those sequences will be that much better. People today have no patience, and that bothers me.

#294802 - 12/06/02 07:08 PM Re: UPDATED: ROB LIEFELD ON ALIAS, JJ ABRAMS AND HOLLYWOOD
MrLuckyPierre Offline

Loc: Compton, CA, USA
Great interview. Ol' Rob really put himself out there (and yes, thank goodness Sydney's not gonna turn out to be gay and slapping leather, or this thread would break records). I'm looking forward to the comic, and ordered it. Oh - and I have nada against Rob - he was cordial enough when I spoke with him at the 2000 San Diego Con, while he was doing this KICKASS Siryn sketch for my cousin (he actually did a couple of pre-sketches, trying to get the image just right for her). So, I wish him luck in this.

#294803 - 12/06/02 11:30 PM Re: UPDATED: ROB LIEFELD ON ALIAS, JJ ABRAMS AND HOLLYWOOD
Beyerstein Offline

I think Millar is a much bigger hack than Liefeld. They'll make a great team.

#294804 - 12/07/02 12:15 AM Re: UPDATED: ROB LIEFELD ON ALIAS, JJ ABRAMS AND HOLLYWOOD
stevezundy Offline

I find it funny that before people were saying that "bashers" of Liefeld will buy the book.Now some one said the "bashers" won't buy the book so stop bashing him.

This was suppose to come out in October.Liefeld said that variant covers do not hurt.I think that fade has weared off in comics.Is Youngblood the only comic that was suppose to come out in October and didn't?No Ghost in the Shell 2 was and didn't come out as well.

I know Liefeld has said the industry is in bad shape(and it is) ,but did he ever think it was the factors of creatures that are late, never come out with the product, come out with a very bad product,variant covers, or the increasing cover price of comics.

#294805 - 12/07/02 02:43 AM Re: UPDATED: ROB LIEFELD ON ALIAS, JJ ABRAMS AND HOLLYWOOD
Doom Offline

Loc: Latveria,Europe
Quote:
Originally posted by Beyerstein:
I think Millar is a much bigger hack than Liefeld. They'll make a great team.

You are High...

Page 3 of 17 < 1 2 3 4 5 ... 16 17 >

Moderator:  Steve Conley, The Pulse