Page 9 of 17 < 1 2 ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... 16 17 >
Topic Options
#294856 - 12/10/02 02:46 PM Re: UPDATED: ROB LIEFELD ON ALIAS, JJ ABRAMS AND HOLLYWOOD
Dan Carroll Offline

Loc: Chicago, IL
Quote:
Originally posted by Hank Wirtz:
Anybody want to give an (Off-topic) etymology lesson?

I might be mistaken, but wasn't Dr. Fonebone the name of a recurring Mad character?

#294857 - 12/10/02 03:21 PM Re: UPDATED: ROB LIEFELD ON ALIAS, JJ ABRAMS AND HOLLYWOOD
ctsmith83 Offline

Loc: Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by siegwulf:
rob liefeld will probably always be considered as a bad-boy, and we can't change that, all we want is to be respected for an artist we like, just like others like a jim lee or a charest for example. wink

Oh yeah... Charest really has a lot of respect... He's done what? 8 pages of work in the 2+ years that he's worked for Humanoids. I've heard that they're pretty fed up with his antics. Just ask Scott Lobdell about Charest's tendency to draw whatever he wanted for Wildcats (ignoring the script completely) and having to write dialogue around images that didn't fit the story HE was trying to tell.

Quote:
bloodsport will kick a$$, because of rob AND millar. and we'll always be there to promote and defend this series. :p

This series is the poster-boy for many of the problems with the industry - primadonna creators that have no concept of deadlines and continue to believe how great they are. Millar is very overrated (swipe from Ellis or Morrison much?) and Rob...

#294858 - 12/10/02 04:17 PM Re: UPDATED: ROB LIEFELD ON ALIAS, JJ ABRAMS AND HOLLYWOOD
robdandy Offline

A couple thoughts here, first, respect, in any industry, but especially this one, is way over rated. The older you get the more you realize that what's important in life, is taking care of your family, paying your bills and enjoying every day. Respect is a fickle girl, she comes and goes, so don't get hung up on respect. Like what you like and be satisfied with your choices.

Wether or not Travis draws on time is irrelevant to many of his fans who drink up anything he produces, 1 page, 10 pages, means the same to me. The fact is he is one of the most beautiful illustrators in the world. Jim Lee fans agree that his work is incredibly detailed and dynamic, attracting their loyal devotion. I have no idea what it is that people enjoy about my work, I'm just pleased they dig it. I've heard time and again the reasons why people despise my work, and some are valid, others are ludicrous? Can't draw hands and feet? Knees? Keeerazzy!

Anyway, I'll go out on a limb and predict that everyone, even the most sincere and ardent retailer will be caught short on Bloodsport. Even discounting the Marvel character equation, the math doesn't add up. Millar's Marvel work sells on average around 100,000 copies, Bloodsport will ship 30,000 copies. There's quite a discrepancy that I believe will be revealed when D-day arrives. Keep your logic away from this one as I believe you'll have to throw out the rule book on B-sport.

Rob

#294859 - 12/11/02 10:44 AM Re: UPDATED: ROB LIEFELD ON ALIAS, JJ ABRAMS AND HOLLYWOOD
DerekWatson Offline

Loc: St. Albans
Hi! "Adult" retailer here again. One who doesn't want to be "shafted" (heh!) any more than is necessary!

For your information, Youngblood: Bloodsport 1 appears on all Diamond retailer invoices this week. Not because it's going to ship this week but because Diamond has, as they usually do, given us the opportunity to reduce (or increase) our original order levels for this item.

So...if you are a fan of Youngblood -- but especially if you are not -- please let your retailer know if you're still going to buy this comic from them.

Oh, and thanks to all the posters who saw my humble point of view -- it was much appreciated! We're in this business because we LOVE comics.

#294860 - 12/11/02 11:10 AM Re: UPDATED: ROB LIEFELD ON ALIAS, JJ ABRAMS AND HOLLYWOOD
robdandy Offline

I was talking to a retailer that I frequent and sharing with him the theory shared here by some of the brightest retail minds of how 30,000 ordered copies of Youngblood have upset the delicate balance of the comics business. He was curious, as am I that if this holds true, than what are the possible ramifications of late titles such as Spider Man/ Black Cat, Spider Man Blue and the Ultimates, each of which sell double or over three times the Youngblood sales. If you who have been so condemning are as an informed a retailer as you claim, then I'm certain that you are equally worried about each of these titles and the adverse conditions that they are creating for your business.

As long as it's good for the goose, it has to be good for the gander...

Rob Liefeld

#294861 - 12/11/02 11:19 AM Re: UPDATED: ROB LIEFELD ON ALIAS, JJ ABRAMS AND HOLLYWOOD
SwiftMann Offline

Loc: Baltimore, Maryland
Here's one less customer buying Spider-Man/Black Cat. The story wasn't too good and definitely isn't worth waiting months between issues. Does my one unpurchased book cause an impact? I don't have a clue.

Rob - It's always impressed me that you are willing to jump right into the thick of things here on the 'net (or when a certain Kaboom fan writes a particularly nasty letter and it gets printed and responded to in Kaboom vol. 2 #3 cool ). That said, what about my question a few posts up inquiring about Alias #0s shipping schedule?

#294862 - 12/11/02 11:37 AM Re: UPDATED: ROB LIEFELD ON ALIAS, JJ ABRAMS AND HOLLYWOOD
Hank Wirtz Offline

Loc: Issaquah WA USA
Quote:
Originally posted by robdandy:
A couple thoughts here, first, respect, in any industry, but especially this one, is way over rated.

Especially when everyone hates you. :-)

Quote:

The older you get the more you realize that what's important in life, is taking care of your family, paying your bills and enjoying every day.

Which is ironic, since, as many have pointed out (myself included) you seem to have no qualms with interfering with the family caretaking and billpaying by retailers you mess with by consistently shipping books late, if at all.

Obviously, Rob, you mean what you say about respect, or else you wouldn't be here taking our abuse. And I suppose that entitles you to a certain modicum of bizarro-world respect.

I guess I just see you as a...not a bull in a china shop...but more like Curious George. You follow your muse with unbridled enthusiasm and the best of intentions, but you're oblivious to the consequences of your actions or inactions. And the retailers are the Man in the Yellow Hat,cleaning up your messes.

I understand that the press came to you and spilled the beans about YB:BS. But you could have talked about the project without soliciting the issue, or better yet, the entire miniseries, before the work was done. Wouldn't that have been the responsible thing to do?

And hey, if that gains you some respect, that's just gravy.

#294863 - 12/11/02 12:00 PM Re: UPDATED: ROB LIEFELD ON ALIAS, JJ ABRAMS AND HOLLYWOOD
ctsmith83 Offline

Loc: Canada
Quote:
A couple thoughts here, first, respect, in any industry, but especially this one, is way over rated. The older you get the more you realize that what's important in life, is taking care of your family, paying your bills and enjoying every day.

It's rather difficult to pay your bills and take care of your family when you have no respect within the industry that you work. It's awfully difficult to get paying jobs when a bad reputation preceeds you into an interview situation. Respect is a very key contributor to building any kind of career. Trust is also important in building the relationships that can help propell your career to the next level.

Quote:
Anyway, I'll go out on a limb and predict that everyone, even the most sincere and ardent retailer will be caught short on Bloodsport. Even discounting the Marvel character equation, the math doesn't add up. Millar's Marvel work sells on average around 100,000 copies, Bloodsport will ship 30,000 copies. There's quite a discrepancy that I believe will be revealed when D-day arrives. Keep your logic away from this one as I believe you'll have to throw out the rule book on B-sport.

I won't keep my logic away from this one because there are several reasons why Millar's Marvel work sells (and will continue to sell) several times over what Youngblood may sell. First, the books are from Marvel. Second, they're Ultimate books (which are "kewl" nowadays). Third, they are X-Men and Avengers books. Fourth, they have Kubert and Hitch artwork. Fifth, they come out "monthly". Sixth, he hasn't solicited issues/titles and then disappeared without releasing them. I hope that you are successful with our latest venture, but based on the track record, I'm highly sceptical that we'll see the conclusion of this series. Also, have you found those Captain America sales numbers yet?

#294864 - 12/11/02 12:10 PM Re: UPDATED: ROB LIEFELD ON ALIAS, JJ ABRAMS AND HOLLYWOOD
Hank Wirtz Offline

Loc: Issaquah WA USA
Quote:
There's quite a discrepancy that I believe will be revealed when D-day arrives.

So it'll be shipping June 6?

And that's not even a Wednesday!

(copious smileys)

#294865 - 12/11/02 12:35 PM Re: UPDATED: ROB LIEFELD ON ALIAS, JJ ABRAMS AND HOLLYWOOD
robdandy Offline

Hank and Ctsmith,

I'm sorry that I haven't made it clear that comics work doesn't and cannot pay the bills in my house. Not if I was the top payed artist in the business could I justify abandoning my current career path based on my fiscal responsibility to my family. The money in comics is gone, it dried up about six years ago after most of us set up our homes and lifestyles . A top writer who can produce numerous titles can most certainly do very well in the business, but artists have seen better days. There are maybe seven artists who approach six figures in the comic biz. Top rate for 98% of pencillers is 250.00 per page times 22 pages x 12 months puts you around 66 grand before taxes. I can't do a monthly title and if I could that would not bring home enough to make my nut. So let's stop kidding around that comics abandoned me, flip it and you'll find the truth. Yes, it's true that my last few comics at Marvel were canned, but again, we're talking part time freelance work.

I love comics, I buy a ton of them and I love drawing stories. As I've said numerous times before, I'm doing B-Sport at a loss for love. I'm drawing this for me first and business second. If I make some mistakes along the way because of that fact, but in the end produce a better product, I did my job and the fans will be pleased.

Let's stop acting like B-sport is taking all these retailers down the tubes. It's a crock and you know it and I now it. Most retailers ordered on average maybe 5-10 copies of the first issue and when B-sport ships in a few weeks, they'll have the opportunity to make up the 15-30 bucks they've been missing. That's right, 15-30 bucks. Keep it in perspective, this isn't Ultimate X-Men we're talking about.

Rob

Page 9 of 17 < 1 2 ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... 16 17 >

Moderator:  Steve Conley, The Pulse