Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#332248 - 06/13/04 05:35 PM Re: RIDDICK: EVERYTHING PLUS THE KITCHEN DIESEL
milkmandave Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by THE Anti-Hunter:
I don't recall anywhere in the movie where it was implied that Riddick's being a Furyion was connected with the shine eyes. Maybe, just his look in his eyes, you know the windows to the soul kinda deal, but not the silver tint. I'm not sure how you got that from the movie.

Thats kinda the problem. The eyes were unexplained. There was a good rational explanation for them from Pitch Black, but Jack/Kyra apparently claimed that that was a lie. So, one possible interpretation is as follows: if he wasnt given the eyes in the manner he had said before, then perhaps he was born with them? the other possible causes: he wasnt lying and for whatever reason she couldnt find the person who had done the procedure, or there is some other completely unaddressed explanation. But the major curiosity was the fact that the dinosaur-dogs had the same reflective eyes, implying that it was a genetic, not artificial, trait. So I dunno. It just seemed to me that the filmmakers un-made a really solid concept.

Dave

#332249 - 06/13/04 06:34 PM Re: RIDDICK: EVERYTHING PLUS THE KITCHEN DIESEL
malshnut Offline

Loc: san jose, california, united s...
this movie was soooo bad!!! It was a bloated dead stinking on the beach whale of a movie! Characters were underdeveloped and plot points with no folow up were thrown in, really,one of the all time worst movies of our time.

#332250 - 06/13/04 06:58 PM Re: RIDDICK: EVERYTHING PLUS THE KITCHEN DIESEL
THE Anti-Hunter Offline

Loc: oceanside,Ca
Quote:
Originally posted by malshnut:
this movie was soooo bad!!! It was a bloated dead stinking on the beach whale of a movie! Characters were underdeveloped and plot points with no folow up were thrown in, really,one of the all time worst movies of our time.

Dude, I think you're full of shit. The above statement you just made is one of a constant sickening growing trend.

C'mon give why you think this movie sucks point by point. And I'll try and rebuttal point by point. Give us an informed reason why you think it doesn't measure up.

If you can, cool. You've made you're point then. I'll back down, if I can't bring something to the table. But otherwise, this is just typical comic book mess board farting in the wind.

What were your thoughts on the Matrix sequels? Did you like them?

My forum: http://p207.ezboard.com/fthebullpen28879frm43

and the art blog: http://j-m-hunter.livejournal.com/

#332251 - 06/13/04 08:45 PM Re: RIDDICK: EVERYTHING PLUS THE KITCHEN DIESEL
CptFishStick Offline

Loc: New Mexico
Id give this film a C+.

To get it out of the way, I thought Pitch Black was one of the best sci fi movies made. Its unique characters were fresh and entertaining, and the tone they created for the future was reminicent of Blade Runner and Aliens: Dingy, commercialized, and prettymuch humans still act like humans. I'm sick of intergalactic battles, lazer guns, and world peice. Pitch Black did away with these and made a human oriented sci fi movie. The best part ofthe movie however was Riddick. Here you have this evil guy and you can't help but like him. He has no morral turn arounds in this movie, he doesnt do decent things, he enjoys killing, he doesnt care about anyone, and you love him for it...not sure why but you do.

Why was it Good?:
I really think the strength of the film lies Mostly on the part taking place on Crematoria. This section took the bulk of the movie as it was, and I still wish it took longer, in fact I wish it was the whole movie. As neat as the Necromongers were, I feel that their part in the movie was poorley handled, and by far not as interesting as the scenes in the prison. I also felt the feel of Crematoria closley reflected the scope, tone, and all around purpose of Pitch Black, and as itself would have stood as a better sequel.

Why was it bad?:
Well to put it simply, it had two problems. One was the cinematrography. At several points during the movie either the strobing flashes were so intense I had to close my eyes, or the cuts were so fast and chaotic it made it difficult to decipher what was exactly going on during all the action scenes. These of course are minor problems.

The main problem was Riddick. They forgot to put him in the film. I said earlier that I loved the character in the first film, but I wasn't to fond of riddick in this movie. He was a totaly different character. IN Pitch Black he was an evil murder, who enjoyed his hobby, and would often interact intimidating ways, either through terror, or humor (such as when he introduces himself as "Riddic, escaped convict, murderer" Their was a priceless tone and look on Vin's face that made you laugh). All this is forgotten in the sequel. Instead of being an evil guy you like, hes a Goodguy with an attitude. In other words, hes Riddick Light (reduced for kiddies).

The Strengths of the movie often outweigh the problems, but I still can't help but feel that this movie had more than it needed. I mean honestly, just compare the whole bit on crematorea to Pitch Black. They seem perfectly linked to eachother in tone, purpose, feel, etc. They had a great sequel, its just sandwhiched between some other weird crap.

-Captain

#332252 - 06/13/04 11:05 PM Re: RIDDICK: EVERYTHING PLUS THE KITCHEN DIESEL
saiyanspider Offline

Loc: nyc
Not to give too much away but I loved the movie but the relationship between the head Necromonger and the Furion race was way to similar to the Freiza Saiyan relationship from Dragon Ball Z, which I'm sure is similar to something I don't know about, but that's what I noticed about it

#332253 - 06/13/04 11:52 PM Re: RIDDICK: EVERYTHING PLUS THE KITCHEN DIESEL
arthurcurry Offline

Loc: Florida
I personally don't EVER go for what critics think. I don't think highly of them or the crap they spit out.

With that said, I can speak as a fan and tell you that I went to see this movie with not much high expectations.

In the end that was good, because the movie DID entertain the hell out of me. It had very imaginative visualization, a high amalganization of things seen before, only it was done very tastefully. 'The Chronicles of Riddick' was like...Conan, Dune, StarWars, and Escape From Alcatraz put together...in a good way!

Sure sometimes the dialogue was corny, but then again that's much better from other movies that try to be too damn clever.

Surprisingly I found that my favorite character was the bounty hunter that resembles Wolverine. He was funny, and seemed the most human of all, the most relatable character who was in all this just for money.

Great movie, great ending(and different resolve from what I imagined), and I never saw a sequel to Pitch Black coming, but it did it for me!!!

#332254 - 06/14/04 12:30 AM Re: RIDDICK: EVERYTHING PLUS THE KITCHEN DIESEL
Kabukiman Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by milkmandave:
Thats kinda the problem. The eyes were unexplained. There was a good rational explanation for them from Pitch Black, but Jack/Kyra apparently claimed that that was a lie.

Why do you assume it was a lie? Just because nobody would do the same for her, even if she paid him 20 cigarettes (oooooo, 20 cigarettes for major eye surgery?). It's pretty obvious to me that he was showing off a bit for the kid's benefit in Pitch Black.

But my question: Why is it such a big deal? Who cares if he paid a guy 20 smokes or threatened to kill him or whatever? Why can't we accept that?

Also, why is 'It's an animal thing" not a good enough explanation for him befriending the dog-thing at the prison? It's perfectly in line with Pitch Black, in which he gives a voiceover speech about all bu the animal side of people shuts down in cryo, which explains why he was still awake.

And while I'm defending the movie.... Riddick was, again in PItch Black, explained to be a guy basically looking out for #1. The one person he cared about was Jack/Kyra and he isolated himself on a frozen planet to try and keep his hunters away from her. His solitary life was disturbed by mercs because Imam had a bounty put on his head. So why the frigging hell would he want to help Imam's planet defeat the Necromongers? Ooooo, there's a prophecy, so friggin what? Again, this is perfectly in line with the way his character was established over the movie+ that preceded the news of a prophecy. If you can explain why he would put himself in certain mortal danger to save a guy who's effed up his life and brought all the mercenaries that money can buy on his ass, I'd LOVE to hear it.

In the end, the prophecy IS fulfilled, only it is fulfilled in a way that is true to his anti-hero character, rather than some shitty plot with him being the superhero. If you want a superhero movie, go rent the shitty Matrix sequels.

#332255 - 06/14/04 01:15 AM Re: RIDDICK: EVERYTHING PLUS THE KITCHEN DIESEL
Kristopher83 Offline

Here's a review I wrote for another publication:

Hold your doom and gloom for later. All this apocalyptic thriller delivers is disgustingly cheesy lines, horribly confusing fight scenes, and near seizure-inducing cinematography and lighting.

Vin Diesel stars as the bald and shiny Riddick, who spouts out horrible lines such as ďbeen a long time since I smelled beautifulĒ and ďfollow this,Ē while trying to hold up his bad boy image as he beats people up while flashing lights provide a cover of confusion so you canít tell whatís going on. Letís face it, if you canít come up with a good fight sequence, drowning it out with strobe lights isnít going to help.

Oh yeah, and he can see in the dark. Maybe that explains why thereís always flashing lights while he fights. Iím sure thereís some kind of scientific explanation for it. I guess I mustíve just slept through that part of Physics class. Although Iím not sure Riddick understands it himself, since throughout the movie he canít seem to decide when to use his goggles or not.

On the other end of the spectrum are the Necromongers, evildoers who destroy planet after planet, seeking converts to follow their religion. While Riddick doesnít have any beef with the Necromongers at first, the death of a friend and the capture of another sends him blazing into battle, after a boring prison scene and a senseless suicide.

Iím sure this movie made a lot more sense to those who saw Pitch Black, but as for the rest of us, weíll scratch are heads and have a unified moment of silence for the 2 hours of life we lost to this movie.

#332256 - 06/14/04 02:51 AM Re: RIDDICK: EVERYTHING PLUS THE KITCHEN DIESEL
-OM- Offline

Loc: A Northern Suburb of Armagetto...
Quote:
Originally posted by arthurcurry:
I personally don't EVER go for what critics think. I don't think highly of them or the crap they spit out.

...And most of this can be traced back to the fact that most movie reviewers tend to take their reviewing cues and styles from those established by former CNN reviewer Paul Tartara. During the years Tartara was with CNN, it was tallied up that out of all his reviews, he liked less than 8% of the films he'd seen, and -none- of them were Sci-Fi and/or Action/Adventure films. If it wasn't some artsy abstract film that only has limited distribution in about 23.8 art houses pretending to be theaters in the entire planet, the film just had to be worthless in his book.

...Granted, there are films that are total stinkers, such as anything that pedantic misanthrope with delusions of crusaderism Michael Moore puts up on the screen, but 92% of all films are -not- utterly worthless. The problems with most reviewers these days is that they're so dead-set on slamming the bad aspects of a film that they almost always conveniently forget the good stuff just to bolster their complaints, no matter how valid or bogus they truly are.

Oh well, Riddick hit its opening weekend target at the Box Office. Guess now we'll see if survives all the negative reviews from those egotistical hack reviewers who'd rather us watch some abstract crap filmed on Hi-8 by some heroin shooting tortured starving wimp arteeest that makes about as much sense as a reverse speech analysis of the Nixon Watergate tapes...

"Suffer Not The Trolls and Little Fools Unto Me, For I Am The New God of Creative Flaming. I even have a neat Kirby(tm) Krackle drawn about me..."

#332257 - 06/14/04 07:50 AM Re: RIDDICK: EVERYTHING PLUS THE KITCHEN DIESEL
Todd VerBeek Offline

Loc: Grand Rapids MI
This movie seemed to me like what you'd get if you gave a 14-year-old boy a truckload of money and a film studio to bring his "vision" for a really cool movie to life. It consisted of nothing more than a bunch of unimaginately kewl names ("underverse" "necromongers" "Crematoria" "Furyan") with no development behind them, a storyline that served no purpose but to string a bunch of action scenes together ("oh, and then they'll have to race against a sunrise that'll melt metal!, and then..."), terabytes of moody special effects shots, third-rate Ahnold-rip-off one-liners, a few one-dimensional hot babes (a MILF, a bitch, and a guy with boobs), and (get this, dude!) the reluctant hero kills the bad guy and ends up with a whole empire at his disposal. The hallway lockers in middle schools across America are filled with spiral notebooks containing notes for movies of this "quality".

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Steve Conley, The Pulse