Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#332258 - 06/14/04 07:58 AM Re: RIDDICK: EVERYTHING PLUS THE KITCHEN DIESEL
Todd VerBeek Offline

Loc: Grand Rapids MI
Quote:
Originally posted by -OM-:
...And most of this can be traced back to the fact that most movie reviewers tend to take their reviewing cues and styles from those established by former CNN reviewer Paul Tartara.

And the irony is that this analysis here is just as pretentious and full of it as the reviews you're talking about. Look at many of the popular movie reviewers out there, and you'll find a bunch of people giving "thumbs up" and "***1/2" and good pull-quotes to just about anything that's going to get good box office. And you really can't generalise meaningfully about "the critics"; some are elitist snobs, others are pandering low-brows.

#332259 - 06/14/04 09:53 AM Re: RIDDICK: EVERYTHING PLUS THE KITCHEN DIESEL
malshnut Offline

Loc: san jose, california, united s...
Quote:
Originally posted by THE Anti-Hunter:

Dude, I think you're full of shit. The above statement you just made is one of a constant sickening growing trend.

C'mon give why you think this movie sucks point by point. And I'll try and rebuttal point by point. Give us an informed reason why you think it doesn't measure up.

If you can, cool. You've made you're point then. I'll back down, if I can't bring something to the table. But otherwise, this is just typical comic book mess board farting in the wind.

What were your thoughts on the Matrix sequels? Did you like them?

Kay, I loved the second Matrix movie but didn't like the third.
As for point by point, allright here we go...

Plot: So the universe is bieng over run by this evil cult who's leader came back from the Underverse a scary super human type. But what was the beliefs of this cult? What was the ultimate goal? Just supremacy? What happened to thier leader after he went to the underverse? No explanations at all. I know they may have wanted this stuff revealed in the sequel or to play up these plot holes as big mystery elements, but this was not succesfully conveyed as such in the movie. The dialogue was sooo bad, cheesy one liners and overly dramatic to absurd at best.
Next the action, ummm, most of the scenes of space battle were so confusing you didn't who was who, and the space special effects looked like a bad cgi cartoon, and didn't blend well at all with bad costumes and set pieces. The actual fight scenes were also absurd, and anticlimactic. Bad camera angles and lighting took away from the impact of the scenes. What was the deal with Riddick trying to out run the sun rise and then bieng able to hid behind a rock till the sun rise past? Just didn't make sense. I will admit the ending with that whole King Conan theme was cool, but that was it.
There is sooo much more, but I would have to sit through the movie again to break it down, so if you liked it that's fine, we can just agree to disagree. So ummm..what did you think of it again?

#332260 - 06/14/04 11:30 AM Re: RIDDICK: EVERYTHING PLUS THE KITCHEN DIESEL
Heidi MacDonald Offline

Loc: New York, New York
I suspect this is going to be one of those movies that everyone either hates or...loves, but with shame. I really enjoyed evry mintue of RIDDICK, and as is my wont, I didn't read a single review before I saw it or wrote my review. Afterwards I checked out Rotten Tomatoes -- only 7% on the elite list! OUCH! Oh well, my only regreat in my review is that I didn't mention all the Conan/Dune/Star Trek elements.

The weekend BO was a bit disappinting, and pretty much skotched Diesel's hopes of becoming the Man who Would be Action King. Two sequels? I kind of doubt it, sicne none of the stars or anyone were signed up for sequels.

Oh well, I smell a cult! The directors cut is reportedly 30 minutes longer.

#332261 - 06/14/04 12:15 PM Re: RIDDICK: EVERYTHING PLUS THE KITCHEN DIESEL
THE Anti-Hunter Offline

Loc: oceanside,Ca
Quote:
Originally posted by malshnut:

Kay, I loved the second Matrix movie but didn't like the third.
As for point by point, allright here we go...

Plot: So the universe is bieng over run by this evil cult who's leader came back from the Underverse a scary super human type. But what was the beliefs of this cult? What was the ultimate goal? Just supremacy? What happened to thier leader after he went to the underverse? No explanations at all. I know they may have wanted this stuff revealed in the sequel or to play up these plot holes as big mystery elements, but this was not succesfully conveyed as such in the movie. The dialogue was sooo bad, cheesy one liners and overly dramatic to absurd at best.
Next the action, ummm, most of the scenes of space battle were so confusing you didn't who was who, and the space special effects looked like a bad cgi cartoon, and didn't blend well at all with bad costumes and set pieces. The actual fight scenes were also absurd, and anticlimactic. Bad camera angles and lighting took away from the impact of the scenes. What was the deal with Riddick trying to out run the sun rise and then bieng able to hid behind a rock till the sun rise past? Just didn't make sense. I will admit the ending with that whole King Conan theme was cool, but that was it.
There is sooo much more, but I would have to sit through the movie again to break it down, so if you liked it that's fine, we can just agree to disagree. So ummm..what did you think of it again?

Yeah, I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, incl. with the sequel to the Matrix, which I thought sucked.

Underverse: I'm a fan of mythology, theology, and philosophy. The fact that one being caught a glimpse of the netherworld, and it actually transformed him, thereby giving him tools and abilities to carry out what I'm assuming the faith of the Necro-mongers was in my opinion cool. What would happen if Dante's Inferno dude wasn't just given a tour, but had an agenda and the devil gave him the power to carry it out?

See, maybe I'm just more into this aspect of a race that feels that by converting (zombifying) the universe like it's a plague. Like the expansion of human beings has finally found it's form of crowd control.
As far as any other questions of the Necro-Mongers, yeah, those would undoubtly have to be answered in another movie.

I didn't mind the special fx.

And I enjoyed the plot. I thought it showed growth of Riddick's and other PItch black characters. I'm betting if the movie had mostly occurred in Crematorium there'd be complaints that it failed to emulate Pitch Black and was repetitive.

As far as "hiding behind the rock" If the rock is made of a substance that can more or less withstand the heated temp. of the sunrise, than it makes sense to me.

My forum: http://p207.ezboard.com/fthebullpen28879frm43

and the art blog: http://j-m-hunter.livejournal.com/

#332262 - 06/14/04 12:23 PM Re: RIDDICK: EVERYTHING PLUS THE KITCHEN DIESEL
Heidi MacDonald Offline

Loc: New York, New York
700 degrees in the sun. 120 in the shade? That was just stupid. The planet had an atmosphere, and that would have heated up, searing their lungs. Yet Riddick protects himself with a little water. Right. RIDDICK was a FANTASY! It was MAGIC.

And I accepted it. I think RIDDICK was a move for fantasy wonks. Being well schooled in fantasy conventions like prophecies and mysterious races, and conquering hell religions, I just went with the flow and enjoyed the spectacular visuals.

#332263 - 06/14/04 01:53 PM Re: RIDDICK: EVERYTHING PLUS THE KITCHEN DIESEL
Todd VerBeek Offline

Loc: Grand Rapids MI
Quote:
Originally posted by Heidi MacDonald:
I think RIDDICK was a move for fantasy wonks. Being well schooled in fantasy conventions...
What you call "conventions" I see as "formula". It seemed like the writer was working from an "Epic Fantasy" Mad-Libs(R) booklet, and just plugging in names.

#332264 - 06/14/04 03:00 PM Re: RIDDICK: EVERYTHING PLUS THE KITCHEN DIESEL
RCRUZ Offline

Loc: Guaynabo, P.R.
At the very least Riddick was an fast paced, enjoyable action movie. I agree with those that posted even certain similarities to Conan.

It certainly was the first thing that stuck in my mind when I saw the ending.

Since the producers did not choose (after Pitch Black) of doing another formula movie (ala Die Hard or Alien or Escape from LA) I applaud their courage in trying to take the character somewhere else story-wise.

Some of the critiques that I have read have ranged from constructive to outright nit-picky but to each his own.

I recommend it as a harmless popcorn action flix for those that are in need of a 'butt-kicking' fix.

#332265 - 06/14/04 03:03 PM Re: RIDDICK: EVERYTHING PLUS THE KITCHEN DIESEL
stlfan79 Offline

Loc: collegeville central
Thought I was going to hate this movie based on the previews and what I felt was a horrible performance by Vin in Triple X but I still dragged myself to the theatre the other day to check it out since I was pleasantly suprised by Ptich Black. This review nails it-the movie is just pure fun-a lot of action, beautifully visualized landscapes, cool concepts, and a fever pace. Its nice to go to the movies and be suprised instead of let down for once.
3 Rex Mundi
4 Walking Dead
5 Invincible
6 Majestic
7 Punisher
8 Goon
9 Fables
10 Y
11 Shaolin Cowboy
12 Fell
13 Desolation Jones
14 Doc Frankenstein
15 Ex Machina
If Hellboy was monthly it would be #1

#332266 - 06/14/04 04:03 PM Re: RIDDICK: EVERYTHING PLUS THE KITCHEN DIESEL
wraith Offline

Loc: N.Y.
Quote:
Originally posted by saiyanspider:
Not to give too much away but I loved the movie but the relationship between the head Necromonger and the Furion race was way to similar to the Freiza Saiyan relationship from Dragon Ball Z, which I'm sure is similar to something I don't know about, but that's what I noticed about it

You're not the only one who said this movie was similar to the Frieza saga from DBZ. A friend of mine, saw this movie saturday and said that it reminded him of DBZ (he also loved this movie, btw). I definitely can't wait to see this movie.

#332267 - 06/14/04 07:19 PM Re: RIDDICK: EVERYTHING PLUS THE KITCHEN DIESEL
Johnny Nine Offline

Loc: Aliso Viejo, CA
Hey, Heidi,

I'm so glad that you and I finally agree on a movie! I really liked "The Chronicles of Riddick." I think it's closer to science-fantasy than science-fiction. Even people who are condemning it talk about how visually stunning it is--which says a lot, 'cause this flick is gorgeous. What about the ion trails? Wow...

Visuals aside, I liked the story. While it did involve a bit of cliche (the whole "prophecy" thing is so overused, but it's a staple of fantasy fiction), it also gave us a lot of interesting twists and some new spectacles.

If I had to sum this movie up, I'd say it's "Conan the Barbarian" meets "Star Wars." Diesel admits to being a hardcore D&D fan as a youth, and you can just see that in his love for this character. The last scene especially reminded me of Conan.

By the way, I had no problem with Riddicks moral motivation. He still wasn't doing the "good guy" routine, he was just killing those who pissed him off the most. In this case, it was Lord Marshall and the Necromongers. He never set out to save the world or the universe. In fact, his prime motivation throughout the entire movie is to save Jack/Kyra from Crematoria. When the Necromongers got ahold of her...they signed their death warrants.

My favorite line is near the end when Riddick says "You killed everything I loved." It's the one time we see through his tough-as-nails exterior, and it shows his prime motivation--destroy the destroyers.

My ONLY complaint about the film was Twohy's muddled, incomprehensible action sequences. You couldn't really tell what was going on most of the time--but then again, I've been spoiled by the ballet-style action of KILL BILL and such movies. Maybe he wanted the action to reflect actual combat, where things aren't frozen into Matrix-like clarity or Tarantino-esque poses. If he wanted to convey the absolute chaos of hand-to-hand combat, he succeeded.

Overall, an excellent flick, and I hope we do see the sequels. Loved the ending! (But couldn't believe I had been sitting there for two hours!)

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Steve Conley, The Pulse