Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#332991 - 06/23/04 12:36 PM NEWS: TARBOX HIRED MORE DETAILS OF DC'S CMX MANGA LINE
Jennifer M. Contino Offline

Loc: PA
BY JENNIFER M. CONTINO
A press release confirmed more details about DC Comics' upcoming manga line, CMX including the hiring of Jake Tarbox as the CMX Group Editor. The first three releases are Madara by Tajima Sho-u and Otsuka Eiji, Mekakushi no Kuni by Tsukuba Sakura, and EROIKA YORI AI WO KOMETE by Aoike Yasuko. Other titles in the line include: Kamikaze Kaitou Jeanne, Gals!, TENJO TENGE, 9 Banme no Musashi, Swan, MONSTER COLLECTION, and AKUMA DE SORO.

At the BookExpo America held in Chicago a few weeks ago, images from three manga: Gals, Musashi # 9, and Madara were prominently on display at the DC booth.

In a Press Release sent earlier this week announcing DC guests for San Diego ComiCon, manga and anime fans might have recognized the name "Jake Tarbox."

Tarbox was one of the forces behind Raijin Comics from Gutsoon! Entertainment and has spent almost fifteen years living in Japan working with its parent company Coamix. Tarbox was listed in the PR as a "group editor," but there was no specific "group" listed. In a press release about the October launching CMX, Tarbox was named as the Group Editor for CMX line.

“There’s tremendous enthusiasm for manga in the States,” said Paul Levitz, President and Publisher of DC Comics in the PR. “New readers, particularly girls and women, have rushed to embrace new talent from abroad, which we’re excited to bring to American audiences as part of DC Comics’ commitment to publishing diverse and exciting works from around the world.”

The first three series will be Madara by Tajima Sho-u and Otsuka Eiji, Mekakushi no Kuni by Tsukuba Sakura, and EROIKA YORI AI WO KOMETE by Aoike Yasuko.

Madara is a story featuring swords, sorcery, myth, and sci-fi. The tale begins with a legend that emperor Miroku, a cruel, evil man, will be dethroned by a special boy who will also have the power to connect our world with the magical land of Agalta. The emperor wants to stop this from happening at any cost. So when he discovers the baby he believes to be his successor, he mutilates the body into eight pieces and separates all the pieces. The remaining part of the baby is cast into the river, but he did not drown or die. He was found, named "Madara" and given artificial limbs. At the age of 15, Madara went on a quest to recover his limbs and, if he truly is the child of legend, fulfill his destiny and destroy the evil emperor Miroku.

Mekakushi no Kuni features Kanade a somewhat psychic girl who can see a person's future - a few hours ahead - just by touching him or her. So she's not too into touching anyone, because she's afraid she might see a horrible fate for him or her. Kanade boyfriend Arou is something of a kindered spirit, but instead of seeing the future, he can see glimpses into the past. Things are going good for the pair when another guy, Namaki enters the picture. Like Kanade, Namaki can see the future as well. Like Arou, he's interested in Kanade as more than just a friend. The three hide their abilities and powers from others, because they are afraid of the reaction they would receive. There are nine volumes of the series available.

EROIKA YORI AI WO KOMETE is a story that began in 1976 in the pages of Princess magazine. It's a tale of international intrigue and mystery as one British art thief and his nemesis, a German NATO Intelligence Officer cross paths. Lord Dorian Red Gloria the thief known as "Eroica" always leaves a note behind at the scene of the crime signed "From Eroica With Love." Major Klaus Heinz von dem Eberbach wants to outsmart all the other agents after Eroica and capture him himself. The stories go across Europe, the US, and Middle East, but, as the tale unfolds, the question may be just who is pursuing whom?

DC plans to release their manga on a quarterly schedule in the "traditional manga format" and size after the first volumes of each are released in early October.

Here is DC's official PR on the subject:

DC COMICS LAUNCHES CMX, A NEW MANGA IMPRINT IN OCTOBER

Forthcoming titles include the international bestsellers Kamikaze Kaitou Jeanne and Tenjo Tenge, as well as titles by Tajima Sho-u (who created the character designs for the anime sequences in the film Kill Bill: Volume 1) and Fujii Mihona's Gals! (the basis for the popular anime series SuperGals!)

Paul Levitz, President & Publisher of DC Comics announced today that DC Comics will launch CMX, a new imprint of manga graphic novels, with the publication of three titles in October, 2004. The first three to be released are the initial volumes of MADARA (art by Tajima Sho-u and written by Otsuka Eiji from Kadokawa), MEKAKUSHI NO KUNI (illustrated and written by Tsukuba Sakura from Hakusensha), and EROIKA YORI AI WO KOMETE (illustrated and written by Aoike Yasuko, from Akita Shoten.)

"There's tremendous enthusiasm for manga in the States," said Levitz. "New readers, particularly girls and women, have rushed to embrace new talent from abroad, which we're excited to bring to American audiences as part of DC Comics' commitment to publishing diverse and exciting works from around the world."

Each of the CMX titles are Japanese manga which are being released for the first time in the United States, and will be published in the traditional manga format - sized at 5 X 7 3/8", with black and white interiors. Subsequent volumes of each series will be released on a quarterly schedule.

Upcoming titles include Fujii Mihona's Gals (Gals has been adapted as the popular anime series SuperGals!) from Shueisha, Tenjo Tenge (by Oh! Great, from Shueisha), 9 Banme no Musashi (by Takahashi Miyuki, from Akita Shoten), Swan (by Ariyoshi Kyoko from Akita Shoten), Monster Collection (by Sei Ito from Kadokawa Shoten), Kamikaze Kaitou Jeanne by Tanemura Arina (from Shueisha), and Akuma de Soro (by Takanashi Mitsuba from Shueisha).

"We believe that manga readership is going to continue its rapid growth and also evolve in the U.S.," said John Nee, Vice President - Business Development at DC Comics. "CMX is committed to publishing all genre of manga, including horror, fantasy, science fiction and adventure titles, and the line will be as diverse, and as author-friendly, as that of DC Comics, VERTIGO, and WildStorm."

Nee also announced today that DC Comics has hired Jake Tarbox as the Group Editor of the CMX imprint. Tarbox has spent the last 14 years living in Tokyo, Japan where he worked at Coamix, Inc. as the International Affairs Manager and Vice-Editor-Chief of Raijin Comics, administered the creation of the American subsidiary company Gutsoon! Entertainment, and edited the manga magazine, Raijin Comics. Tarbox will handle the editorial responsibilities for the CMX imprint including overseeing the translation and printing of manga titles into English.

ABOUT THE LEAD TITLES AND TALENT:

MADARA Volume 1 (originally serialized in Marukatsu Famicom magazine) represents the first work done together by the creators of the hit series MPD Psycho, artist Tajima Sho-u (who created the character designs for the anime sequences in the movie Kill Bill: Volume 1) and writer Otsuka Eiji. When his village is attacked by demons, Madara, a blacksmith's apprentice, discovers that he possesses fantastic powers.

Artist Tajima Sho-u debuted as a manga artist in 1987 with the publication of Madara. He has worked on illustration and character design for computer games (including Galerians) and animation. He has illustrated MPD Psycho, Brothers Baby Baby, Madara Colors, and his current hit series Gorilla Kick.

In addition to his work with manga, writer Otsuka Eiji is a critic, essayist, and author of several successful non-fiction books on Japanese popular and "otaku" sub-cultures. In the 80s, Otsuka was editor-in-chief of Manga Burikko, a leading women's manga magazine where he pioneered research on the "otaku" sub-culture in modern Japan.

Mekakushi no Kuni Volume 1 was originally serialized in LaLa DX magazine from 1998 to 2004. In this nine volume series, creator Tsukuba Sakura tells the story of Otsuka Kanade, a high school girl who can see visions of the future. Should she act to change their fate, or sit back and wait for events to unfold?

A rising young author in the shojo manga world, Tsukuba Sakura decided to become a manga artist in high school. As she was about to graduate college, she furiously distributed her work to publishers. Her first published work was A Bright Spring Day, in LaLa magazine. She has also written and drawn Invisible World: a Dog's Story (published in LaLa magazine) and Past Day Present (published in LaLa magazine).

Eroika yori Ai wo Komete Volume 1 was originally serialized in Princess magazine from 1977 to the present. Eroika yori Ai wo Komete follows the adventures of a British aristocrat and international art thief who taunts his nemesis, Major Klaus Heinz von dem Eberbach, by leaving notes behind at the scene of his crimes, signed "From Eroica with Love."

Aoike Yasuko's first manga, Sayonara Nanette, was published in RIBBON magazine when she was fifteen years old. Afterwards, she garnered attention by publishing several hit stories in rapid succession, including Shojo Blend, When Roses Cry, Oh Carol, "I Love You, Tetsu-sensei," and "Hey, Young Guy." In 1976 her sci-fi comedy Sons of Eve in Princess magazine, represented a switch from pure shojo stories to a new kind of storytelling.

Debuting in 1977, Eroika yori Ai wo Komete became a huge best seller, and its sequel series is still being serialized today. The series is built on a great deal of research about European art history, and has helped to popularize many European painters in Japan as well as Japanese tours of European art museums.

Aoike Yasuko has continued a long and productive career in the pages of Princess, a highly popular girl's manga anthology magazine. But her work is so popular that she is at present concurrently publishing stories in several magazines. She is the creator of Miriam Blue's Lake, Sons of Eve, Seven Seas, Seven Skies, The Castle, Ivy Navy, Trafalgar, Z, Der Freischutz, Alcasar, The Tale of a Priest and a Doctor, The Day of Saladin, Richard, the Lion-Hearted, Brother Falco, The Temptation of Scarlet, The Carthaginian Fantasy, The Melancholy of Her Majesty, The Knight of Drachen, and Plus Ultra.

#332992 - 06/23/04 01:39 PM Re: NEWS: TARBOX HIRED MORE DETAILS OF DC'S CMX MANGA LINE
Libby Offline

Loc: Moundsville, WV, USA
YAY EROICA!!! Eroica is my favorite manga ever, and now I'll finally be able to read it in English!

I love DC so much right now. smile

#332993 - 06/23/04 02:26 PM Re: NEWS: TARBOX HIRED MORE DETAILS OF DC'S CMX MANGA LINE
Bob Of The Moon Offline

Loc: France
I'm wondering how DC will handle some of this manga. Would they be censored ? Because Tenjo Tenge is obviously fot the 16+ ( niked women... and often without any good reasons)

#332994 - 06/23/04 02:45 PM Re: NEWS: TARBOX HIRED MORE DETAILS OF DC'S CMX MANGA LINE
Gladiator X Offline

Loc: Sector 2814
Yay!More manga. :rolleyes:

Nothing against it really.If people like it that's cool but every bookstore around here(and I live in a College town with 60,000 residents and NO comicshop within 200 miles!) has tons of this stuff that never moves and clogs up 3/4s of the graphic novel space on the shelves.

I know folks say this stuff sells and that it's bringin' in "new" readers but I just don't see it.(Hmmm,folks used to tell me that Crossgen was bringin' in new readers too but all I saw was tons of graphic novels that never moved until they were sent back to the publisher.Interesting.)

Oh well,I guess this'll just push out the rest of the non-manga stuff except for the Ultimate and Batman stuff so I'll have to order everything I get online.

#332995 - 06/23/04 03:05 PM Re: NEWS: TARBOX HIRED MORE DETAILS OF DC'S CMX MANGA LINE
Libby Offline

Loc: Moundsville, WV, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Gladiator X:
Yay!More manga. :rolleyes:

Nothing against it really.If people like it that's cool but every bookstore around here(and I live in a College town with 60,000 residents and NO comicshop within 200 miles!) has tons of this stuff that never moves and clogs up 3/4s of the graphic novel space on the shelves.

I know folks say this stuff sells and that it's bringin' in "new" readers but I just don't see it.(Hmmm,folks used to tell me that Crossgen was bringin' in new readers too but all I saw was tons of graphic novels that never moved until they were sent back to the publisher.Interesting.)

Oh well,I guess this'll just push out the rest of the non-manga stuff except for the Ultimate and Batman stuff so I'll have to order everything I get online.

If manga weren't selling 3/4's better than American comics, if wouldn't be getting 3/4's more shelf space. There's no evil manga conspiracy or anything -- it's supply and demand.

And I know lots of people who have gotten into comics through manga. *I* did! I got into Eroica 4 years ago, and now I buy tons of comics every month -- most of them American. My sister and all of her friends got into comics because of shoujo manga as well.

Also, those manga are moving off the shelves -- at least, they are where I live. Every time I go to the mall, I see kids gathered around the manga sections of Suncoast and Waldenbooks, chatting excitedly about the new releases.

Anyway, if you want Batman and Ultimate X-Men to be as popular as manga, just do like us manga fans did. We talked excitedly about manga to everyone who'd listen (and many who wouldn't shocked ) and told all our friends, "OMG guys, you HAVE to read this!!!!", until eventually they broke down and read the manga just to shut us up. smile And before long they were hooked.

Also, you can ask for the bookstore to order the books for you, and ask any other fans you know to do the same. That was how my friends got Sailor Moon into bookstores back in 2000. Eventually they'll notice that people are into this series, and will buy extra to stock the shelves.

#332996 - 06/23/04 03:16 PM Re: NEWS: TARBOX HIRED MORE DETAILS OF DC'S CMX MANGA LINE
Gladiator X Offline

That's cool.I don't mean to sound too negative but I really just don't see it here where I live is all.
And no,I don't want anymore Ultimate stuff or more Batman trades either.
I buy most of my trades from bookstores and I have to be on top of stuff if I want anything like Outsiders or Captain Marvel in trade because that stuff does sell here.
You never see trades of the Non-SuperXSpiderbat books here for more than a few days and I'm afraid that now we won't even get them in anymore which bums me out because,even though online ordering is okay it's still nice to pick things up on a whim every now and then.

Like I said,I'm not tryin' to flame or say that there's a Manga consiracy I'm just sayin' what I see and I don't see this stuff selling here is all.(and since I'm thinkin' about openin' up my own shop in the near future I do pay attention to this kinda stuff.)

#332997 - 06/23/04 04:00 PM Re: NEWS: TARBOX HIRED MORE DETAILS OF DC'S CMX MANGA LINE
rundownthewayup Offline

Loc: Greensboro, NC, USA
I at least like that this is REAL manga, and not created Manga like Marvel was doing.

#332998 - 06/23/04 04:16 PM Re: NEWS: TARBOX HIRED MORE DETAILS OF DC'S CMX MANGA LINE
Shawn Fumo Offline

Loc: Springfield, MA USA
Obviously things are different in different locations, but I'm curious.. are you sure it isn't selling? Or is it just being re-stocked? Around here, many of the bookstores have tons of manga and frequently complete runs of a series (like GTO 1-14 or whatever). It doesn't mean it isn't selling, just that when one sells, they replace it with another copy...

Of course it is kind of crazy around here (western Mass). One Waldenbooks has about 24 shelves of manga (3 cases with 8 shelves each) and another one has more. Both Media Plays have 4 bookcases of manga (and two of US graphic novels), and the Barnes & Nobles have more US titles (like Cerebus, etc).

But you never see kids, especially girls hanging out at any of the manga sections in your area? Perhaps it is a real dead spot despite the college...

Shawn

#332999 - 06/23/04 05:08 PM Re: NEWS: TARBOX HIRED MORE DETAILS OF DC'S CMX MANGA LINE
Gladiator X Offline

There is the local Hastings store which is within spittin' distance from the dorms here on campus and even closer to where I work and I go by there once or twice a day on breaks to check for new stuff because they put it out whenever as opposed to a regular schedual.It has 5 shelves of books that never change except for the fact that it expands as more "regular" trades are sold off(or returned because I don't actually work there).
Barnes and Noble is across the street from the north campus and has about 8 feet of shelf space as opposed to the 1 shelf for everything else.
I have seen a few teenage boys there reading books on the floor pretty regularly.Whether they buy em or not I don't know but I have a friend that works there and she told me they have so much space because of "corporate" as opposed to what actually sells there.
We also have a Waldenbooks out at the Mall which has about 8 feet also and about 2 feet of mainstream stuff and I have to admit that I don't go there very often but I have seen a girl or two reading books on the floor there too.
(An interesting aside.....I was at a Hastings store in another town that had quite a few teens aged 16 or so, hangin around in the manga section(which is all that store had!) and the three guys were so busy pointing out the "panty shots" that they didn't even notice the fairly attractive girl reading a book on the bench right next to them. :rolleyes: No wonder comic fans get such a bad rap!)
Anyway,I know it's probably just the place I live in but we had a fairly successful comicshop here for years that only closed because they decided to quit and I know bunches of folks here that are buyin thier stuff online plus the way regular comics and mainstream stuff seems to sell pretty quick(we have a spinner rack at the college bookstore that empties at a decent rate) so I know we have a decent fanbase here for comics.
It just seems like we don't have any kind of manga market here for some reason and it's definitely not because the stuff isn't available.
My teen-age daughter is into comics and I don't try and influence her at all in what she reads(except for Green Lantern which she refuses to ever read just to piss me off) and she has expressed no interest in that stuff at all.
BTW,I live in Flagstaff AZ.
I'm sure that it does sell well in other places,I was just pointin' out that it isn't quite the cat's meow everywhere.

#333000 - 06/23/04 07:19 PM Re: NEWS: TARBOX HIRED MORE DETAILS OF DC'S CMX MANGA LINE
Tivome Offline

aha, Jake Tarbox is in charge of CMX. No wonder the selection's pretty decent; Got good mix of over-the-top shonen and decent shojo; even a famous Yaoi title. Something for everyone.

I don't think Jake will resort to Battle Royal type adaptation; Raijin has been very respectful of the source material and I like the way they translate SFX. I think CMX's in good hand with people in touch with manga fans; hope they'll do well.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Steve Conley, The Pulse