Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#334629 - 07/20/04 01:51 PM TRAVEL FOREMAN MARVEL'S DR. SPECTRUM ARTIST
Jennifer M. Contino Offline

Loc: PA
BY JENNIFER M. CONTINO
It seems as if Com.X's Cla$$war has been a breeding ground for future Marvel artists. First Trevor Hairsine was nabbed from the series to work for Marvel and now Travel Foreman has gone from working with the independent publisher to The House of Ideas on the upcoming Supreme Power spin-off, the six-part Dr. Spectrum series written by comics newcomer Samm Barnes. We caught up with Foreman to get his initial reaction and thoughts to this job as well as 12 pieces of killer artwork from his portfolio.

The first thing Foreman did was tell THE PULSE how working with Marvel is different than working with the UK's Com.X. "Working with Com.X was about the closest thing I've experienced to sitting around a friend's house in the summer as a kid and making funny books just for the sheer joy of it," began Foreman. "Not that it isn't fun working at Marvel, but with these giant machines that are Marvel and DC, and any corporation really, you just end up being another cog on the grind. I think that's what's at the root at Com.X's 'success'. At the end of the day it's not about fiscal or quarterly earnings the bottom line is just having a love for what you do and it comes across in the product. That's the one thing you can't fake. In the arts you can always tell when someone is having fun with what they're doing or just going through the motions."

"[laughs] Plus this is the 'New Marvel' and they're playing by a whole new set of rules so a lot of the liberties you would enjoy at a smaller more intimate company you certainly won't get and there's no reason to expect them," continued Foreman. "The high profile of this project coupled with the tight schedule [is a challenge]. I would've liked to have been eased into Marvel a little more gently than a book like this - maybe on Super-Pro or Strawberry Shortcake, something that I could find my legs on away from prying eyes. But I enjoy it nonetheless. I wanted to get on a monthly eventually and this is my baptism of fire."

Foreman wasn't entirely new to the world of Supreme Power. He knew quite a lot. "I'd read a few of the Avengers issues that featured the MU versions of the characters," the artist recalled. "I think this was a lo-o-o-ng overdue update for Squadron Supreme. Though I kinda wish they had made Supreme Power an Ultimate title. Ultimate Squadron Supreme vs. Ultimates would have been nice."

Foreman candidly told us what attracted him as an artist to this project. "Money."

He also told us about his creative influences and what is driving his work on Dr. Spectrum. "The deadline is my main influence on Spectrum," he said. "I'm relying on what John Romita JR calls the 'deadline style'. That and the inker, I've never really had to work with an inker until now so I'm having to rethink what I put down on the paper and make sure that the lines and shapes are interpretable. Speaking in general my art influences are all the guys anyone would randomly guess: Jim, Hughes, Nowlan, Pre-Image Silvestri, Mignola, Art Adams and Canete."

"A lot of Japanese and European artists, (all of whom I adore beyond words) Eguchi Hisashi, Moebius, Serpieri, Otomo ( I bought the DH Akira trades a few months ago and those things have been my holy Bible. The man is other-worldly), Tetsuya Nomura and Shinkiro," continued Foreman. "Besides those there are a lot of 20-something artists out right now that are doing really fantastic work: Lee Bermejo, Lesean, Ale Garza, Greg Tocchini, Khary Randolf, Corey Walker, C.P Smith, (The newly paternal) Dustin Nguyen, James Jean. I think above all those are really the guys that are my, and likely each others, main influence. When we see one of the guys from our 'class' really knock one out of the park it really sparks up the juices to do something equally as awesome. The last time there's been this many young mavericks in the business was the pre-Image days. It's pretty exciting from an artistic standpoint to see how we're all going to develop over the years."

Foreman said he's also influenced by the way Supreme Power artist Gary Frank has created this world. "Gary [Frank] has set the tone for this particular universe," he said. "I think they wanted to maintain that pseudo-realistic feel in Spectrum-very clean, classic Marvel looking stuff. I thought about pulling a practical joke around issue four and handing in pages that looked like Sam Kieth or Danijel Zezelj just to see how they'd react."

Foreman told us a little about his work environment. "[It's] Awful. Honestly I'm surprised that I get anything done. I'm looking forward to setting up an actual work space that involves a desk. I'm just curious to see how much my work improves when I get a legitimate work-area. I'd like to think it would be comparable to Rock Lee dropping the weights against Gaara. (Naruto reference!!!!! YAY!!!!)"

Along with Dr. Spectrum, the artist has a few other things on his plate. "I'm doing pencils for the comic adaptation of the Sony game Killzone for Dreamwave. Which should be out late 4Q of 2004. I have a couple creator-owned projects that I'm working on in my 'free-time' (HA!). One will likely be ready by this time next summer, possibly published by Image, and the other is a long-term project - a very long-term project."

#334630 - 07/20/04 02:25 PM Re: TRAVEL FOREMAN MARVEL'S DR. SPECTRUM ARTIST
stlfan79 Offline

Loc: collegeville central
I have loved Travels work on Cla$$war and eagerly awaiting the release of Doctor Spectrum. The guy is very talented and im sure i will see him as a big player in the comic industry in the near future.
3 Rex Mundi
4 Walking Dead
5 Invincible
6 Majestic
7 Punisher
8 Goon
9 Fables
10 Y
11 Shaolin Cowboy
12 Fell
13 Desolation Jones
14 Doc Frankenstein
15 Ex Machina
If Hellboy was monthly it would be #1

#334631 - 07/20/04 02:54 PM Re: TRAVEL FOREMAN MARVEL'S DR. SPECTRUM ARTIST
Delgado Offline

Loc: Monterrey Mexico
nice to see more stuff from him, his work is awesome, and we're very happy to be coloring his stuff in Dr. Spectrum!

laugh

#334632 - 07/20/04 03:12 PM Re: TRAVEL FOREMAN MARVEL'S DR. SPECTRUM ARTIST
Lee (Budgie) Barnett Offline

Loc: London, UK
Just in case anyone's wondering whether DR SPECTRUM is a crossover with the X-Men, the first two pages aren't from DR SPECTRUM, but are from issue #4 of X-MEN UNLIMITED, written by yours truly...

It was a joy to work with Travel on the story and the pages that he turned out exceeded my wildest expectations.

Just wanted to say thanks publicly, Travel!

blog: budgie\'s squawks
Hypotheticals - There's always a crisis on Earth-Dave!
email: budgie@hypotheticals.co.uk

#334633 - 07/20/04 03:27 PM Re: TRAVEL FOREMAN MARVEL'S DR. SPECTRUM ARTIST
LeSean Offline

Loc: Mental:South Bronx Physical: G...
Much success to youTravel.

it brings a smile to my face to see the rest of the industry finally wake up and acknowledge what i (and many others) have known about your stuff for so long....you rock smile

keep inspiring,

LeS-

#334634 - 07/20/04 03:58 PM Re: TRAVEL FOREMAN MARVEL'S DR. SPECTRUM ARTIST
admwriter Offline

Loc: Bear, DE USA
Very much looking forward to the Dr. Spectrum mini, and hoping it spawns more titles from the Supreme Power-verse. That book is one of my must-reads each month.

Aaron

#334635 - 07/20/04 04:52 PM Re: TRAVEL FOREMAN MARVEL'S DR. SPECTRUM ARTIST
swol Offline

Loc: Lindstrom, MN, USA
Waiting for Supreme Power Volume 2 trade and the Spectrum Trade.

Classy stuff that deserves a good format where it can be read straight through.

Besides, this way I'm sure that it's all done before I spend my money...Sorry, memories of Kevin Smith & Black Cat haunt me.

Looking good.
When will we see the next Supreme Power chapter?

Anybody have the info?

#334636 - 07/20/04 05:11 PM Re: TRAVEL FOREMAN MARVEL'S DR. SPECTRUM ARTIST
BillNolan Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by swol:

When will we see the next Supreme Power chapter?

Anybody have the info?

Issue #13 was listed in the solicitations released last week. Should be in the new Previews which comes out tomorrow.

SUPREME POWER #13
Written by J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI
Pencils & Cover by GARY FRANK
"THE SQUADRON" PART 1 (OF 6)
In their first adventure as a team, Hyperion, Blur and Nighthawk the newly formed Squadron encounter a super-powered serial killer! But will they live long enough to stop him?
32 PGS./PARENTAL ADVISORY $2.99
UPC: 5960605457-01311

- Bill

#334637 - 07/20/04 06:17 PM Re: TRAVEL FOREMAN MARVEL'S DR. SPECTRUM ARTIST
Engine Joe Offline

Loc: Nashville, TN
Heh.

It's somehow appropriate as Hal Jordan returns to Green Lantern, that his longtime homage Dr. Spectrum should also get a higher profile.

It's just cosmic comic karma!

#334638 - 07/20/04 06:26 PM Re: TRAVEL FOREMAN MARVEL'S DR. SPECTRUM ARTIST
MassiveUniverse Offline

Loc: Winter Haven, FL
I'm really looking forward to seeing more of Travel's art. I was starting to check out CLA$$WAR just on the strength of his previews, but I'll be happy to see him on this Supreme Power spin-off.

Brian
Check Out Out Extensive Pre-San Diego Coverage at Comic Book Conventions.com!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Steve Conley, The Pulse