Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#352796 - 09/07/05 09:49 AM MORRISON'S 7 SOLDIERS: THE GUARDIAN
Jennifer M. Contino Offline

Loc: PA
BY JENNIFER M. CONTINO
In a world of superheroes where everyone's fighting to get the "scoop," doesn't it seem a natural progression to just hire your own hero to make the news? That's what the Manhattan Guardian has done in the pages of the Grant Morrison penned Seven Soldiers: Guardian. They've picked someone who fit the bill of their vision of a hero, put him on the payroll and sent him out there to make some news. Ex-cop Jake Jordan's the new Guardian and making a nice chunk of change for his services, but will money matter if he doesn't survive the job?

Although there have been other heroes called "The Guardian," none were on a newspaper's payroll. Jake Jordan is the first Guardian mascot that the Manhattan Guardian has hired. "Jake's an ex-New York City police officer who lost his job after a shooting accident," said Morrison. "This is an attempt to get back to the roots of the character [of The Guardian] and regrow him from there, so the elements I chose to emphasise and which seemed most important to this concept were the idea of the Guardian as a street level local hero, who deals with bizarrely 'local' problems. I wanted the Newsboy Army connection to Kirby's original Newsboy Legion kid gang idea, so I developed the notion of the Newsboy Army as a kid superteam which eventually develops into a volunteer street network of reporters who provide material for the Manhattan Guardian - a daily newspaper 'for the people by the people'."

"I like the fact that we've created a 'black' superhero comic that's not about race," he continued. "I enjoyed working with [artist] Cameron [Stewart] again and I think we've achieved our aim, which was to add a viable new character concept to DC's impressive roster. The whole comic is very much influenced by the work of Jack Kirby, Jim Steranko and Will Eisner."

As for why one might want to risk his or her neck running around in a costume and making news, Morrison said that has to do with the pay. "It's five thousand dollars," he said. "A WEEK. With Benefits."

"I don't think there's another newspaper hero around, plus he's got a shield and a big stick," continued Morrison of what sets The Guardian apart from the typical costumed hero. "How can you go wrong with that?"

Although the last Guardian had ties to a DC science group called Cadmus, this Guardian has no such ties to that organization, for one simple reason: they sold the trademark. Morrison revealed the sale in issue # 1 of Seven Soldiers: Guardian, but isn't saying why though. "Someone else can tell the story of how THAT might have happened."

In his first outing, the Guardian finds himself up against Pirates, but they aren't sailing the seven seas, they're riding the rails beneath New York City in the subway system. "They're gangs of homeless people who've stolen and customized subway trains and use them to ride around looting and pillaging," said Morrison. "The main trains are run by a couple of feuding, self-proclaimed pirate captains called No-Beard and All-Beard."

Morrison said it was a challenge to come up with the scenes and situations his leads faced under the Seven Soldiers banner that tied them together, but were still independent stories. "It was tough. Some of the comics are a little more 'self-contained' than others I have to admit, but I try to have a satisfying beginning, middle and end in each one, while still throwing in cliffhanger elements and ongoing story threads. The stories just come pouring out."

Morrison said he doesn't have plans for The Guardian after Seven Soldiers, but hinted someone else might. "I believe the character may appear again," he said.

Issue Four of The Guardian is due in stores this week.

Seven Soldiers began in February's Seven Soldiers # 0. There are seven four-part limited series being released on a bimonthly basis: Klarion: The Witch Boy, Zatanna, The Guardian, The Shining Knight, Frankenstein, Mr. Miracle, and The Bulleteer. Issues of Klarion, Zatanna, Shining Knight, and The Guardian are in stores now. Mr. Miracle begins in September, Bulleteer and Frankenstein begin in November. The finale, in Seven Soldiers # 1 is scheduled to ship in April of 2006.

Keep checking back with THE PULSE for more on Morrison and his Soldiers.

READ MORE HERE:

GRANT MORRISON 7 SOLDIERS PART ONE
http://www.comicon.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=36;t=004150

GRANT MORRISON 7 SOLDIERS PT TWO: SHINING KNIGHT
http://www.comicon.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=36;t=004151

GRANT MORRISON 7 SOLDIERS PT FOUR: KLARION
http://www.comicon.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=36;t=004162

GRANT MORRISON 7 SOLDIERS PT FIVE: ZATANNA
http://www.comicon.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=36;t=004167

#352797 - 09/07/05 11:10 AM Re: MORRISON'S 7 SOLDIERS: THE GUARDIAN
Elliot Kane Offline

Loc: London, England
This & Zatanna are my two favourites so far. If GM writes either as ongoings, I'll certainly get them smile

#352798 - 09/07/05 12:49 PM Re: MORRISON'S 7 SOLDIERS: THE GUARDIAN
Not From Around Here Offline

Just how long are these rogue subway trains supposed to be able to keep running around underground without the authorities cornering and eradicating them? Pirates had whole oceans to sail around in with hundreds of potential ports of call. Subways run on a rigid grid of lines and tunnels, with only a severely limited choice of routes.

"Subway pirates" sounds like a fine idea for a pure comedy riff, but in a halfway serious superhero book the idea just stretches suspension of disbelief too far.

#352799 - 09/07/05 03:09 PM Re: MORRISON'S 7 SOLDIERS: THE GUARDIAN
skott Offline

Loc: Canton,Ohio,USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Not From Around Here:
Just how long are these rogue subway trains supposed to be able to keep running around underground without the authorities cornering and eradicating them? Pirates had whole oceans to sail around in with hundreds of potential ports of call. Subways run on a rigid grid of lines and tunnels, with only a severely limited choice of routes.

"Subway pirates" sounds like a fine idea for a pure comedy riff, but in a halfway serious superhero book the idea just stretches suspension of disbelief too far.
all together now! LOL!

#352800 - 09/07/05 03:16 PM Re: MORRISON'S 7 SOLDIERS: THE GUARDIAN
samnoir Offline

The link on the front page kept taking me to the original seven soldier's article. One of the mods/admins might want to fix that.

TRIDENT #1 for sale on EBAY! Anthology b...GRANT MORRISON.

JIM LEE COMICS for sale on EBAY! PUNISHE...Y WARREN ELLIS!

#352801 - 09/07/05 07:23 PM Re: MORRISON'S 7 SOLDIERS: THE GUARDIAN
Alan Coil Offline

Loc: Southeast Michigan
There is an excellent Morrison interview at
http://www.popthought.com/display_column.asp?DAID=861

#352802 - 09/08/05 04:17 PM Re: MORRISON'S 7 SOLDIERS: THE GUARDIAN
FangsO'Frankenstien Offline

Loc: Canada
"There is an excellent Morrison interview at
http://www.popthought.com/display_column.asp?DAID=861 "
It is excellent. Really talks about his writing and how his life affected it!

#352803 - 09/08/05 07:51 PM Re: MORRISON'S 7 SOLDIERS: THE GUARDIAN
Engine Joe Offline

Loc: Nashville, TN
The previous/original Guardian is one of my favorite characters in all his incarnations from the forties to modern times, but this new take is certainly true to that character in a lot of ways. It's a worthy successor!

#352804 - 09/09/05 02:35 PM Re: MORRISON'S 7 SOLDIERS: THE GUARDIAN
Jennifer M. Contino Offline

Loc: PA
I loved The Guardian in All Star Squadron ...

Jen

#352805 - 09/12/05 12:36 AM Re: MORRISON'S 7 SOLDIERS: THE GUARDIAN
JohnnyProzac Offline

Loc: South Korea
Quote:
Originally posted by Not From Around Here:

I want to start giggling too...you know in a world where a guy dresses up as a bat and people get scared ( :rolleyes: ), where no one even thinks of Superman being Clark Kent without glasses, where "the Speed Force" explains away how there is no collateral immense damage from the Flash's powers, if the Golden age GL had a weakness to wood..u could just papercut him to death, and etc...

And the fact is in cities, development doesn't necessarily seemlessly advance from old infrastructure. SOmetimes that old infrastructure is destroyed, covered up or simply buried and cut off from new infrastructure...and just not used and forgotten.

It could be, with a lot more believability than most staples of DC lore, that the subway pirates use forgotten unmonitored parts of the older (NYC's subway system is quite old too) system and even when reports come in when civilians are attacked...

well heh have you seen how most Metropolitan agencies work? there really wouldn't be much effort into investigation..even then it would just be written off as homeless crime and not something organized. Trust me there are alot of things that go on in our cities we would find completely alien and strain our sense of belief.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Steve Conley, The Pulse