Topic Options
#352818 - 09/08/05 09:53 AM MORRISON'S 7 SOLDIERS: KLARION
Jennifer M. Contino Offline

Loc: PA
BY JENNIFER M. CONTINO
This ain't yer father's witch boy - or maybe it is, considering writer Grant Morrison went back to Klarion's roots and Jack Kirby when coming up with his take on the character. Morrison said his Klarion is "a completely new creation inspired by Jack Kirby's original and doesn't connect to previous appearances of someone with the same name. Yet. He comes from a lost colony of Puritan Witches who wound up living far beneath New York City in a miserable settlement known as Limbo Town."

"I loved Klarion in his first appearance in The Demon," Morrison said. "A proto-Goth Witch-Boy. I believe his time has come, and so far response has been phenomenal. I'm really pleased people are digging [artist] Frazer [Irving's] artwork too. I've loved his work since I first saw it in 2000 AD and it's great to see him develop a following in US comics. I've wanted to work with Frazer for a long time. He's a truly unique artist and the work he's doing on Klarion is mind-blowing. He's doing all the color work himself and has one of the most amazing senses of design and storytelling I've ever come across. Who doesn't want to see him do a Batman?"

Previous incarnations of Klarion have included a lot of mischief and selfish actions. He's usually at the center of a problem, enjoying the view and turmoil his actions cause. Morrison said his Klarion isn't interested in being a hero or helping anyone other than himself, but "that doesn't stop him from playing his part."

"He's intimately connected to the villains of the piece, the Sheeda," continued Morrison. "Klarion has certain senses we do not have and a strong telepathic bond with his cat familiar, Teekl. He also has access to some stolen Witch Brands which allow him to perform minor feats of magic. Like the rest of these characters, his 'powers' are the least interesting thing about him, to be honest."

As with other versions of Klarion, this Witch Boy has his cat familiar Teekl joining him in Seven Soldiers. Morrison said Teekle was probably given to a young Klarion "at some time prior to our story." He explained, "A familiar is a witch's pet animal. In our story, each member of the underground Puritan colony is given a telepathic animal companion."

A telepathic feline isn't the only supporting player in Klarion, Morrison has a weird crew aiding and abetting the lead. "There are a bunch of strange characters - Ebeneezer Badde, who turns up in issue 2, is an Uzi-toting, albino-alligator-riding Clint Eastwood of the underworld who tangles with Klarion. Mister Melmoth and the Deviant Ones introduce Klarion to the world of Blue Rafters, when he reaches the streets of Manhattan in issue 3. And Submissionary Judah is back in 4."

Although there are a few other "hero" magic wielders in Seven Soldiers, Morrison teased one specific thing set Klarion apart from them: "his personal agenda."

Find out more of his personal agenda by reading the first three issues available now.

Seven Soldiers began in February's Seven Soldiers # 0. There are seven four-part limited series being released on a bimonthly basis: Klarion: The Witch Boy, Zatanna, The Guardian, The Shining Knight, Frankenstein, Mr. Miracle, and The Bulleteer. Issues of Klarion, Zatanna, Shining Knight, and The Guardian are in stores now. Mr. Miracle begins in September, Bulleteer and Frankenstein begin in November. The finale, in Seven Soldiers # 1 is scheduled to ship in April of 2006.

Keep checking back with THE PULSE for more on Morrison and his Soldiers.

READ MORE HERE:

GRANT MORRISON 7 SOLDIERS PART ONE
http://www.comicon.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=36;t=004150

GRANT MORRISON 7 SOLDIERS PT TWO: SHINING KNIGHT
http://www.comicon.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=36;t=004151

GRANT MORRISON 7 SOLDIERS PT THREE: THE GUARDIAN
http://www.comicon.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=36;t=004159

GRANT MORRISON 7 SOLDIERS PT FIVE: ZATANNA
http://www.comicon.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=36;t=004167

#352819 - 09/08/05 04:15 PM Re: MORRISON'S 7 SOLDIERS: KLARION
FangsO'Frankenstien Offline

Loc: Canada
Seven Soldiers is my main comic series right now.
It's better than DC and Marvel's summer events.
I remember way back in the day , reading the Invisibles and JLA and thinking that Grant Morrison should revamp all the DC heroes, and slowly my wish is coming true.
Comics best writer!

#352820 - 09/09/05 11:05 AM Re: MORRISON'S 7 SOLDIERS: KLARION
rouge Offline

Klarion's my favourite Solider so far (although that last issue of Shining Knight really brought the character around for me). I'm enjoying his series immensely.

#352821 - 09/10/05 08:52 AM Re: MORRISON'S 7 SOLDIERS: KLARION
FabianM Offline

Although Seven Soldiers : Guardian is my favorite, all the Seven soldiers miniseries are great. Grant Morrison rocks!

Moderator:  Steve Conley, The Pulse