Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#352836 - 09/09/05 10:25 AM MORRISON'S 7 SOLDIERS PART FIVE: ZATANNA Making Magic
Jennifer M. Contino Offline

Loc: PA
BY JENNIFER "eiraM" CONTINO
In Seven Soldiers Zatanna, the mistress of magic is reeling from the events of Identity Crisis. Her magic powers aren't functioning as properly as they once did, she's confused about her place in the world, and isn't sure what the future holds. However, to keep her powers, she's decided to track down her father's lost journals and see if the answer to her problems lies within the pages of those tomes. Writer Grant Morrison is putting Zatanna through some hard times that have her questioning whether to remain a hero or leave this life for good.

Given her stage performer history, Morrison said it seemed natural for Zatanna to wind up on some kind of reality TV show. In fact, he originally wrote the entire first issue based on the "reality TV angle" but told THE PULSE, "it just didn't fit with the way I wanted to develop the story and it was dropped."

"[On the reality TV series] she's detoxing from magic," Morrison continued. "Or, more specifically, she's detoxing from Identity Crisis and events therein. The events of Identity Crisis are fundamental to Zatanna's state of mind in this series, although we only mention them in passing. The Zatanna we're dealing with is one who's lost a lot of her confidence and direction, as well as her powers, so this series really charts her recovery from what went down in Identity Crisis and beyond. This is a girl who's pissed off the Batman, and, as an Aquarius, she's really feeling the shame and guilt of having done something very wrong. As with everything else in Seven Soldiers, of course, you don't even have to know about IC to understand what's going down here."

Zatanna's not sure about her personal problems, but thinks most of her magical ailments will be solved if she can find and recover her father Zatara's magical journals. When asked where those journals previously appeared, Morrison couldn't recall, but is sure Zatara kept track of his growth in the occult arts. "All magicians keep a record of their progress, so I'm sure Zatara would have done the same," he said. "Otherwise, I'm making it all up, but I'll bet if I went back and read all those stories, I'd find Zatara's magical journals somewhere. That's what usually happens to me."

"I don't have much time for research, to be honest so all my knowledge of these characters is based on my old rotting comic book collection," continued Morrison. "I based Zatanna's magical journey in issue one on some of my own occult experiences and I threw in a bunch of classic DC characters I remembered from my collecting days. I've also revived Zor, a classic Spectre villain from the '40s who makes a great antagonist for Zatanna. The bad dad. Zor is one of those cosmic mega-villains who's been forgotten so I'm hoping to develop him into a major league DC bad guy. Research is for academics. Me, I'm just spilling my brains on the page with all the mess and majesty that entails, I'm afraid."

Another character he's returning is Etta Candy, who he had working on Wonder Woman's native island, Themyscira. "Etta from the Golden Age Wonder Woman stories turns up as the counselor in issue one and probably utterly contradicts her last appearance but there you go," said Morrison. "I don't think she was named, so no-one need know."

Morrison said the collaboration between himself, Mick Gray, and Ryan Sook is "fantastic." He said, "They've turned in an incredible looking book. I asked Ryan for some bizarre layouts in the first issue and he came through with such easy brilliance I was amazed. And his mastery of body language and expression is amazing."

Morrison views Zatanna as one of the most human characters in the superhero world. "She messes up," he said. "She feels bad. She's got a great sense of humor. She's been to the heights as a JLA member and when we start our book she's down in the doldrums. When we catch up with her Zee is down, but not out - and that's a great place to start a story. The Zatanna in this story is a lot more down to earth. She's had a hard reality check and is really rethinking her position as a superhero."

Seven Soldiers began in February's Seven Soldiers # 0. There are seven four-part limited series being released on a bimonthly basis: Klarion: The Witch Boy, Zatanna, The Guardian, The Shining Knight, Frankenstein, Mr. Miracle, and The Bulleteer. Issues of Klarion, Zatanna, Shining Knight, and The Guardian are in stores now. Mr. Miracle begins in September, Bulleteer and Frankenstein begin in November. The finale, in Seven Soldiers # 1 is scheduled to ship in April of 2006.

READ MORE HERE:

GRANT MORRISON 7 SOLDIERS PART ONE
http://www.comicon.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=36;t=004150

GRANT MORRISON 7 SOLDIERS PT TWO: SHINING KNIGHT
http://www.comicon.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=36;t=004151

GRANT MORRISON 7 SOLDIERS PT THREE: THE GUARDIAN
http://www.comicon.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=36;t=004159

GRANT MORRISON 7 SOLDIERS PT FOUR: KLARION
http://www.comicon.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=36;t=004162

#352837 - 09/09/05 11:49 AM Re: MORRISON'S 7 SOLDIERS PART FIVE: ZATANNA Making Magic
Dragonman Offline

Bleh. Too goth-chicky. I like a cute n'curvy Zatanna ala Bruce Timm art. As for anything linked with Identity Crisis: UGH!

#352838 - 09/09/05 11:49 AM Re: MORRISON'S 7 SOLDIERS PART FIVE: ZATANNA Making Magic
Anthony Thornley Offline

I've been loving these features on each of the Soliders. I missed the last couple of Zatanna issues because my LCBS's closing, but I hope to find the issues for order online soon!

#352839 - 09/09/05 12:52 PM Re: MORRISON'S 7 SOLDIERS PART FIVE: ZATANNA Making Magic
rouge Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Dragonman:
Bleh. Too goth-chicky. I like a cute n'curvy Zatanna ala Bruce Timm art. As for anything linked with Identity Crisis: UGH!
Identity Crisis is only tangentially related, so as to keep continuity in tact. But really it's not like she ever mentions what the "bad things" she did were, or that they have direct influence on the mini either than that it's important that Zee's in a slump when things start. Think of it as being nice, sweet lemonade from a very large and stinky lemon.

#352840 - 09/09/05 01:22 PM Re: MORRISON'S 7 SOLDIERS PART FIVE: ZATANNA Making Magic
ciaopubs Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA
I think we should consider this mini-series to be Zatanna's swan song:

* She's training an apprentice.

* She is the core cause (or at least catalyst) for problems going on in Green Arrow, Teen Titans, Flash, and JLA.

* Infinite Crisis is coming up. It is, in part, a generational thing, and her father died in Crisis on Infinite Earths.

Ergo, the girl is doomed. Expect her to be one of the big deaths in IC, the equivalent of Supergirl from CoIE. (Let me take that back. *Power Girl* will be the equivalent of Supergirl. Zee may be Barry Allen.)

#352841 - 09/09/05 01:27 PM Re: MORRISON'S 7 SOLDIERS PART FIVE: ZATANNA Making Magic
Jennifer M. Contino Offline

Loc: PA
I hope not! I like Zatanna ... I'll always remember first reading about her in JL of A with the potential romance of she and Barry Allen ....

Good stuff!

Jen

#352842 - 09/09/05 02:21 PM Re: MORRISON'S 7 SOLDIERS PART FIVE: ZATANNA Making Magic
Assassin Hummingbird Offline

Kill Zatanna? That would be incredibly bad. I'll tell you what, they can kill the entire JLI if it keeps Zee alive. Hell, they can kill the entire Gl corps and all the Supergirls they want, but please don't kill her!!!!

Okay, fanboy moment subsiding....but in all seriousness, I really hope they don't kill off one of the most interesting characters in comics. Well, at least I'll still have Oracle....

#352843 - 09/09/05 09:51 PM Re: MORRISON'S 7 SOLDIERS PART FIVE: ZATANNA Making Magic
FangsO'Frankenstien Offline

Loc: Canada
I also like this title
I too think they will kill Zatana in Crisis cause she's the scape goat for what they did to Dr Light and Batman . She's gotta pay!( Just like "Brownie" for his FEMA disaster disaster)
That said...
Please Grant Morrison make Zenith available here in North America!

#352844 - 09/10/05 02:04 PM Re: MORRISON'S 7 SOLDIERS PART FIVE: ZATANNA Making Magic
timbre68 Offline

Loc: Pittsburgh
Hmmm. That kinda makes sense that they would kill her off. I never thought of that. She is one of my favorite characters and I really hope they don't. I wouldn't mind a vertigo series based on her.

#352845 - 09/10/05 06:49 PM Re: MORRISON'S 7 SOLDIERS PART FIVE: ZATANNA Making Magic
Engine Joe Offline

Loc: Nashville, TN
I've always liked Zatanna from her JLA days, but she just hasn't fared as well since the Crisis. Zee is the ultimate example of the "comic-book magic as a super-power" character, but I think too often writers have tried to maker her real. But she doesn't use real magic (as if there was such a thing). She uses silly comic-booky magic that is supposed to be as ill-defined as all those "energy blasts" that scientific characters throw around. Sometimes over-definition can just rip the imagination out of a character, you know? That's what's wrong with Zatanna.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Steve Conley, The Pulse