Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#36434 - 07/13/08 05:18 PM Re: Love to Muriel Kubert, R.I.P...
Stephen R Bissette Offline

Loc: wilmington, VT USA
Sam most definitely was, and he continued what began in his letters home and WWII personal journals in USS STEVENS, and then to TWO graphic novels for Marvel before they folded the graphic novel line.

Others arguably drew on/from their experiences, but not as explicit autobiography; even USS STEVENS wasn't presented per se as Sam's experiences, though his Marvel graphic novels were.

There were a number of soldier cartoonists who produced published work throughout WWI and WWII, and the military papers sported an abundance of cartoons by G.I.s, up to and including the Vietnam War era. The mainstream comics publishers and underground comix publishers didn't embrace these, save for out-and-out humor strips like SAD SACK (which Harvey ran as a comicbook series for decades). Post-Vietnam, though, we've another breed in the direct sales market -- Don Lomax's VIETNAM JOURNAL comes to mind, in this context.

#36435 - 07/14/08 04:29 PM Re: Love to Muriel Kubert, R.I.P...
CalvaryComics1 Offline

Hello, Steve,

Nice to see you again (after 15 years!), as well as Rick Veitch and others. I was still in a bit of shock at Muriel Kubert's funeral, having learned of her passing only the prior day. Thank you for posting a thread about this.

Kind regards,

Alec Stevens <><

#36436 - 07/18/08 06:05 AM Re: Love to Muriel Kubert, R.I.P...
Stephen R Bissette Offline

Loc: wilmington, VT USA
Alec, it was great to see you, too. Your contributions to those final two issues of TABOO elevated the whole.

We were all in shock -- we made the drive after, like you, learning of Muriel's passing just the afternoon before the service and funeral.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Rick Veitch, Steve Conley