Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#36424 - 07/11/08 08:05 PM Love to Muriel Kubert, R.I.P...
Stephen R Bissette Offline

Loc: wilmington, VT USA

#36425 - 07/11/08 08:31 PM Re: Love to Muriel Kubert, R.I.P...
ChrisW Online   content

Loc: Lincoln, Nebraska USA
Steve, I in no way mean to diminish the sorrow that the Kubert family is going through, and my sympathies do go out to Mr. Kubert and his children, and all their well-wishers, but knowing nothing about Muriel Kubert herself, may I say that your blog posts were incredibly interesting (your father is was in FOUR military services???) and valuable. The speech you gave is incredibly stirring, and if Joe Kubert is anything like the men I've known in the service -- he still does covers and possibly interiors for Will Eisner's PS Magazine -- than Muriel Kubert must surely be like the best of the wives of those men.

Thank you.

"I think ChrisW is the funniest man in entertainment still alive..."
-- the perceptive Tom Spurgeon

#36426 - 07/11/08 09:03 PM Re: Love to Muriel Kubert, R.I.P...
RANDY Offline

Loc: U.S.A.
The entire Kubert family and their many friends certainly has my condolences. Steve, when you get a chance you're going to have to go into depth about how your father served in all four military branches. My own father was in the U.S. Army for 30 plus years and saw combat in both WWII and the Korean War as well as serving a tour in Vietnam.

#36427 - 07/12/08 12:20 AM Re: Love to Muriel Kubert, R.I.P...
King of Wisdom Offline

Loc: Under a Pile of Dirt
I was thinking of the Kubert boys today (at work) no joke sorry to hear that.

#36428 - 07/12/08 07:51 AM Re: Love to Muriel Kubert, R.I.P...
Lawson Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky.
Sad news.

When Gene Colan became ill recently, and his wife stepped in to help with his recovery and his quest for funds for treatment, I thought about the hard-working women behind all these wonderful old comics creators. While Kubert, Colan, Jack Kirby and others hunched over the drawing board (or started art schools!), the wives kept the households together -- managed the money -- raised the kids (sometimes more artists!).

You could probably write a book on the comics wives. If you did, Muriel Kubert and Roz Kirby would be on the cover.

#36429 - 07/12/08 09:59 AM Re: Love to Muriel Kubert, R.I.P...
Tuck Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Lawson:
Sad news.

When Gene Colan became ill recently, and his wife stepped in to help with his recovery and his quest for funds for treatment, I thought about the hard-working women behind all these wonderful old comics creators. While Kubert, Colan, Jack Kirby and others hunched over the drawing board (or started art schools!), the wives kept the households together -- managed the money -- raised the kids (sometimes more artists!).

You could probably write a book on the comics wives. If you did, Muriel Kubert and Roz Kirby would be on the cover.
http://www.amazon.com/I-Have-Live-This-G...15874250&sr=1-1

(And Good thoughts to the Kuberts.)

#36430 - 07/12/08 10:18 AM Re: Love to Muriel Kubert, R.I.P...
THE Anti-Hunter Offline

Loc: oceanside,Ca
This is sad, even sadder now that I have a wife and child.

My forum: http://p207.ezboard.com/fthebullpen28879frm43

and the art blog: http://j-m-hunter.livejournal.com/

#36431 - 07/12/08 10:24 AM Re: Love to Muriel Kubert, R.I.P...
Peter Urkowitz Offline

Loc: Salem, MA, USA
Many condolences to the Kubert family. Muriel Kubert certainly sounded like a wonderful lady.

#36432 - 07/13/08 08:11 AM Re: Love to Muriel Kubert, R.I.P...
Stephen R Bissette Offline

Loc: wilmington, VT USA
It was indeed a sad day, but also please check out my July 12 post:

http://srbissette.com/?p=1640

My Dad served in the Coast Guard, U.S. Army, U.S. Navy and the National Guard -- he'd do a stint in each, and move on to the next, staying with the VT Guard through all my pre-adult life until he retired from the Guard in, I believe, 1974 or '75. He was a Sgt. Major and D.I. in the Guard -- and had also achieved that rank in the Army. His fondest memories seem to be with the Coast Guard and Army.

For anyone interested, my father donated almost the entirety of his military service collection to HUIE Library at Henderson State University; thanks to Lea Ann Anderson, Special Collections librarian, for making that possible!

For the record, my older brother Rick was a lifer in the Air Force (joined at age 17), and my younger sister Kathie did a stint in the Army. Both are alive and well and happily married. My Dad and Mom are still with us, too, still in good health and in their 80s.

I did a story in SGT. ROCK #345, "-- Into the Fire!," based on my father's Korean War experience (as part of a unit of the 206th Field Artillery Battalion, attached to the 86th Infantry Brigade). Joe was the editor, and we took my father's rough script and adapted it to comics. I used photo reference from one of my father's many photo albums of his years in the military.

That was a fun gig, and Joe enjoyed it, too -- he and my Dad hit it off immediately back in '76.

#36433 - 07/13/08 08:35 AM Re: Love to Muriel Kubert, R.I.P...
Bring Back Zot Offline

Steve,

Any sense of how many of the great DC war illustrators (Joe Kubert, Russ Heath, George Evans, John Severin, Sam Glanzman, Jerry Grandenetti, etc) were drawing on their own military experiences?

I automatically assumed that Glanzman was - his USS Stevens stories seem autobiographical.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Rick Veitch, Steve Conley