Topic Options
#365483 - 12/04/06 02:17 PM GENE COLAN COVERS CIVIL WAR CHOOSING SIDES 2nd PRINT
Jennifer M. Contino Offline

Loc: PA
MARVEL TELLS THE PULSE ...

Civil War: Choosing Sides Back to Press With New Gene Colan Cover

After enormous response from fans and retailers, Marvel is pleased to announce a second printing for Civil War: Choosing Sides, featuring a new variant cover! None other than Gene Colan, legendarily famous for penciling characters such as Daredevil, Captain American and Howard the Duck, will be providing the new cover for the second printing of Civil War: Choosing Sides.

Featuring five stories by a slew of Marvel’s greatest creators, Civil War: Choosing Sides tells the stories of U.S. Agent, Danny Rand, Venom, the new Ant-Man and Howard the Duck. They all struggle to deal with the changing world around them as Civil War continues, but whose side are they on?

This one-shot also serves as the perfect starting point for Immortal Iron Fist, Irredeemable Ant-Man, Omega Flight and Thunderbolts!

Be sure to check out the other upcoming Civil War specials including Civil War: War Crimes, Winter Solider: Winter Kills, and Iron Man/Captain America: Casualties of War as well as the new Gene Colan second printing variant of Civil War: Choosing Sides.

CIVIL WAR: CHOOSING SIDES SECOND PRINTING VARIANT (OCT068054)
Written by MICHAEL AVON OEMING, MATT FRACTION, ROBERT KIRKMAN, TY TEMPLETON, AND MARC GUGGENHEIM
Penciled by LEINIL FRANCIS YU, DAVID AJA, PHIL HESTER, SCOTT KOLLINS, AND TY TEMPLETON
Cover BY GENE COLAN
48 PGS./Rated T+ ...$3.99
FOC – 12/7, On-Sale – 12/27/2006

And here is a PAST PULSE interview about CIVIL WAR: CHOOSING SIDES with Editor Tom Brevoort.

BY JENNIFER M. CONTINO
Question: what do Ant-Man, Iron Fist, USAgent, Venom and Howard the Duck have in common? Answer: they all have a decision to make in the upcoming Marvel one-shot, Civil War: Choosing Sides. Editor Tom Brevoort told us what's next for the characters after this appearance and how these stories might be different from what one might expect ...

THE PULSE: I looked at the five stories included in this: Ant-Man, Iron Fist, USAgent, Venom and Howard the Duck and that Sesame Street song, "One of these things just doesn't belong" began playing in my head. Why include Howard the Duck here?

TOM BREVOORT:
Whenever I take on a project of this nature—whether it’s a single anthology book, or a fifth-week event type of thing along the lines of I (HEART) MARVEL, I typically try to include one story just for me, kind of as a reward for dealing with the headaches of getting the rest of the book done. In this case, somebody had asked me a question online about what side Howard might be on some time ago, and while I answered it flippantly, the question stayed with me. So given this opportunity to do the one-shot, I thought the time was right to delve into it. And in typical fashion, it’s the story that most people seem most interested in.

THE PULSE: The other characters are already appearing in announced comic books, but what's next for Howard the Duck after this short story?

BREVOORT:
There aren’t any plans at the moment, but Ty [Templeton] has already said that he’d love to play with the character further.

THE PULSE: Why did Ty Templeton seem like the ideal choice to do a quick Howard tale in Choosing Sides?

BREVOORT:
STIG’S INFERNO. Ty’s got a wicked sense of the absurd, and a great “cartoonist’s mind.” And also, he’s familiar with the idiom of super hero comics, yet remains irreverently detached from them. In other words, he knows that a lot of the stuff we take for granted is dopey or childish, and he revels in those elements. That made him a fine candidate to put a spin on the events of CIVIL WAR.

THE PULSE: The rest of these stories are supposed to be lead-ins to upcoming books, what are the characters facing in these tales?

BREVOORT:
While the other stories do function as lead-ins to other upcoming titles, they’re not simply eight page trailers for those comics. Just like with all of the other CIVIL WAR tie-ins, we wanted there to be a genuine CIVIL WAR connection in each tale, for some element of the issues surrounding CIVIL WAR to be grappled with by the characters. So Venom finds himself hunted by a SHIELD “Cape-Killer” squad, Ant-Man becomes enmeshed in the “Battle for Yancy Street” that we saw a month or so ago in AMAZING SPIDER-MAN and FANTASTIC FOUR, Iron Fist acknowledges and clarifies why he’s continued to adopt his disguise as Daredevil, and what Matt Murdock has to say about all of this, and the USAgent takes on a difficult new assignment for Tony Stark and the Pro-Registration forces.

THE PULSE: How do these stories tie into the Civil War? Will we be seeing more of these characters in that event? Are there any Civil War characters that guest star in these stories?

BREVOORT:
All of these stories tie into the larger CIVIL WAR picture, but just like the other tie-ins, they matter the most to the characters themselves. Yes, there’ll be guest appearances in these stories of folks ranging from Iron Man to Daredevil to the Thunderbolts to pretty much everybody. But even if you don’t read this one-shot, you’ll be able to follow CIVIL WAR #1-7 just fine—although we certainly do hope that people will check it out.

THE PULSE: What is the challenge of editing a volume that has several creators in it as opposed to editing a story that has just one creative team involved?

BREVOORT:
The challenge in this case had nothing to do with the number of stories, and everything to do with the accelerated schedule we had to produce the book under. I think we pulled the whole package together in something like thirty days, so I feel like Morgan Spurlock. But in actuality, while I was the overseeing editor on this book, I only directly edited the HOWARD story. Warren Simons, who edits DAREDEVIL and the upcoming IMMORTAL IRON FIST did Iron Fist, Andy Schmidt, who’ll be editing the upcoming OMEGA FLIGHT, edited USAGENT, Aubrey Sitterson, who’ll be taking full control of THE IRREDEEMABLE ANT-MAN with issue #3 edited Ant-Man, and Molly Lazer, who edits THUNDERBOLTS, edited the Venom story.

THE PULSE: What's coming up in some of the other comics you're editing?

BREVOORT:
Many things that will make the internet explode

NOTE: This PULSE reporter did ask some questions about the delays in the Civil War miniseries, but Marvel Comics had no comment on those questions. Civil War: Choosing Sides is due in stores this month.
CIVIL WAR: CHOOSING SIDES (JUL068173)
Written by MICHAEL AVON OEMING, MATT FRACTION, ROBERT KIRKMAN, TY TEMPLETON, AND MARC GUGGENHEIM
Penciled by LEINIL FRANCIS YU, DAVID AJA, PHIL HESTER, SCOTT KOLLINS, AND TY TEMPLETON
48 PGS./Rated T+ ...$3.99
FOC 10/5, On Sale 10/25/2006

You can learn more about it at http://www.marvel.com

#365484 - 12/05/06 08:07 AM Re: GENE COLAN COVERS CIVIL WAR CHOOSING SIDES 2nd PRINT
Stephen Downey Offline

Hmmm is £3.99 too expensive to have that peice of Gene Colan cover art? Tempting

#365485 - 12/05/06 05:15 PM Re: GENE COLAN COVERS CIVIL WAR CHOOSING SIDES 2nd PRINT
Steve Chung Offline

Loc: San Bruno
Holy Duck and Cover, Batman!

It's the Deadly Hands Of Howard, Master of Quack-Fu!

Never mind the insides, I'd buy that one just for the Colan cover.

Moderator:  Steve Conley, The Pulse