Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#367483 - 03/26/07 02:20 PM R. I. P. BATMAN ARTIST MARSHALL ROGERS
Jennifer M. Contino Offline

Loc: PA
THE PULSE is sad to report that artist Marshall Rogers died over the weekend.

The artist, who most know for his prolific work on Batman in the pages of Detective Comics, was 57 years old. Our friends Newsarama sadly broke the news and reported that “details were sketchy.”

Rogers had worked in the comics industry since the 1970s, where his work appeared in the pages of Batman: Family, Mr. Miracle, House of Mystery, Superman Family and, the work with which most comic fans remember best, Detective Comics. His work was absent from shelves for several years, but he reteamed with his Detective Comics/Batman collaborator Steve Englehart for two six part Batman: Dark Detective stories.

THE PULSE contacted his long-time collaborator and friend Steve Englehart for more information on his passing. Englehart heard the news from another of their associates, inker Terry Austin.

Terry Austin told me he talked to Spencer Beck, Marshall’s agent, and he confirmed that Marshall died this weekend,” Englehart told THE PULSE. “His son found him. They think it was a heart attack, and that he might have been dead for a while.”

Englehart is greatly saddened by the news. He was shocked to learn this about his friend. He told THE PULSE, “This must have been completely out of the blue."

The pair first collaborated together on a Detective Comics run in the 1970s. "We worked together for a long time," Englehart said. "And we had our ups and downs; but it was always a solid relationship. He was a good guy at heart. Certainly my career was positively affected by hooking up with him on the Batman stuff and the other things we did. He was just very committed to doing comics, and to doing them the best he possibly could.”

Their work on the recent Batman: Dark Detective II and III also brought the two together again for comic conventions and other meetings. Englehart said they were practically neighbors and it was just a subway ride between them. “He lived about forty minutes south of where I live,” Englehart said. “There are subways in-between us, so I would go down sometimes and, most often, he would come up. He liked a coffee shop in my neighborhood and we’d meet, stay there ‘til it got dark, and hang out.”

Englehart said he would miss his friend and miss hanging out with him.

We at THE PULSE offers our deepest condolences to the friends and family of Marshall Rogers.

You can see a detailed biography of his work at Wikipedia here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marshall_Rogers

#367484 - 03/26/07 03:23 PM Re: R. I. P. BATMAN ARTIST MARSHALL ROGERS
austinspace Offline

Loc: washington
My favorite comic book artist of all time. His Detective run is one of my comics collecting highlights, and his work on Mister Miracle, Doctor Strange and more have been read and reread so many times. My sympathies to his family and friends. He was so good.

#367485 - 03/26/07 03:37 PM Re: R. I. P. BATMAN ARTIST MARSHALL ROGERS
Ryan Valentine Offline

Any reasonable Batman fan considers Marshall Rogers to be one of the all time greats.(If only for the laughing fish storyline) His handsome linework and observant eye for figure placement really made his panels sing.

I really enjoyed his recent work, especially Dark Detective II and his contribution to those Marvel Western one-shots. I'm jealous enough to hope that Dark Detective III was finished before his passing.

For what it's worth, my condolences to his family and friends.

#367486 - 03/26/07 06:08 PM Re: R. I. P. BATMAN ARTIST MARSHALL ROGERS
MurrayC Offline

Loc: Halifax, NS, Canada
This going to sound silly... but he drew the best Batman cape.

"The Laughing Fish" is his best work, but my favourite Batman story that Marshall did was the origin story for the Golden Age Batman in Secret Origins (Vol.3) #6

He was one of the few artists that managed to keep making great art as he got older.

#367487 - 03/26/07 06:10 PM Re: R. I. P. BATMAN ARTIST MARSHALL ROGERS
Bring Back Zot Offline

Rest in peace, Marshall Rogers.

Six issues. Detective 471-476. That's all it took to make Marshall a legend.

Steve Englehart, Marshall, and Terry Austin gave us one of the best runs in Batman's history. Of all the Batman comics I've read (and I've read a lot of them), only Denny O'Neil/Neal Adams run compares.

Any updates on Dark Detective 3?

#367488 - 03/26/07 06:22 PM Re: R. I. P. BATMAN ARTIST MARSHALL ROGERS
Carlton Donaghe Offline

Loc: the American Desert
I bought those Englehart/Rogers issues of Detective when they came out, and I was blown away. They were, and still are, some of the best Batman comics I have ever seen.

I am very sad to hear this news.

#367489 - 03/26/07 06:27 PM Re: R. I. P. BATMAN ARTIST MARSHALL ROGERS
Agrasshopperwalksintoabar Offline

Loc: Milky Way
Okay, this needs to stop.

We get it Death. You're all powerful. Now knock it off.

R.I.P. Mr Rogers. Make God a Batman fan.

#367490 - 03/26/07 09:50 PM Re: R. I. P. BATMAN ARTIST MARSHALL ROGERS
winston blakely Offline

Marshall was a cool guy. I met him once at Neal Adams
Continuity Studios. I loved his Dr.Strange six issue run
at Marvel. He was kinded enough to signed them for me.
It's a shame... He was just starting to get back into comics.
And he was still very young... Sad, indeed. R.I.P. Marshall.

#367491 - 03/26/07 09:55 PM Re: R. I. P. BATMAN ARTIST MARSHALL ROGERS
winston blakely Offline

Marshall was a cool guy. I met him once at Neal Adams
Continuity Studios. I loved his Dr.Strange six issue run
at Marvel. He was kind enough to signed them for me.
It's a shame... He was just starting to get back into comics.
And he was still very young... Sad, indeed. R.I.P. Marshall.

#367492 - 03/27/07 05:40 AM Re: R. I. P. BATMAN ARTIST MARSHALL ROGERS
lowra Offline

Loc: Toronto
This is sad news indeed.

One of the biggest influences on me as a comic collector was Marshall Rogers. His work on Batman, Mister Miracle and Coyote were top notch. I met him years ago when he did an in-store signing at the Silver Snail Comic Shop in Toronto. I recall telling him his drawing of Batman's cowl was the most realistic of any artist I'd seen. And, for the next half hour he described his idea for assembling an actual cowl in prepation for Michael Uslan's initial attempt at making a Batman movie.

He was a real gentleman and will be missed.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Steve Conley, The Pulse