Topic Options
#373482 - 11/06/02 06:22 PM MID-OHIO-CON ANNOUNCES PANELS SCHEDULE
Steve Conley Administrator Offline

Loc: Arlington, Virginia, USA
TONY ISABELLA TELLS THE PULSE...

The Mid-Ohio-Con has announced their schedule of panels for the Nov. 30 & Dec. 1 event....

SATURDAY (ROOM A)

11:00 am: SPOTLIGHT ON TED RAIMI
TED RAIMI became a pop-culture favorite through his performances as Joxer the Mighty (Xena: Warrior Princess) and Lt. Tim O'Neill (seaQuest DSV), as well as his memorable role in Spider-Man. We welcome Raimi to his first Mid-Ohio-Con with a lively Q&A interview session. All swords and chakrams must be checked at the door.

Noon: TOUCHED BY A VAMPIRE
From the worlds of Angel and Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Mid-Ohio-Con welcomes ANDY HALLETT (Lorne the Host), JAMES C. LEARY (Clem), MARK LUTZ (the Groosalugg), and Angel novelist JEFF MARIOTTE. Host THOM ZAHLER vows this will be more fun than a hoedown in the Hellmouth!

1:00 pm: SPOTLIGHT ON FUTURE COMICS
FUTURE COMICS represents a meld of the classic and the innovative: the solid storytelling and engaging characterization you'd expect from superstar creators like DICK GIORDANO and BOB LAYTON in comic books sold directly to the readers. Come hear about the origins of this exciting new company, their new titles Freemind and Metallix, and their plans for the...future!

2:00 pm: SPOTLIGHT ON MARK MILLAR
MARK MILLAR is the writer of two of the best-selling comics being published today: The Ultimates and Ultimate X-Men. His appearance at Mid-Ohio-Con (today only) is sponsored by Comic Town. Don't miss this chance to meet him!

3:00 pm: SPOTLIGHT ON ALAN BURNETT
Writer and producer ALAN BURNETT has worked on some of our favorite cartoons, including Batman Beyond, Batman: The Animated Series, DuckTales, Freakzoid!, Ozzy and Drix, Static Shock, and Superman. Mid-Ohio-Con is pleased to spotlight Burnett in an Q&A interview session hosted by animation expert MARK EVANIER.

4:00 pm: SPOTLIGHT ON AL FELDSTEIN
AL FELDSTEIN is a bonafide comics legend. As editor of EC Comics in the 1950s, he produced some of the best stories ever to appear in the comics medium. As editor of MAD magazine for nearly half a century, he taught generations of readers to look at the world with boisterous laughter and healthy suspicion. We are honored to have him appear at Mid-Ohio-Con with his special slide show and for this Q&A interview session hosted by MARK EVANIER...and we promise it'll be a whole lot funnier than this program book!

SATURDAY (ROOM B)
11:00 am: POP CULTURE DEVILS

Yo, Joe! DEVIL'S DUE has taken comicdom by storm by bringing back such pop culture favorites as G.I. JOE, the MICRONAUTS, and the soon-to-return VOLTRON! Learn the latest Devil's Due news from JOSH BLAYLOCK and the "Due Crew".

Noon: WHERE THE TOYS ARE
Join toy industry professionals from Art Asylum, Plan B Toys, and Anjon to talk about action figures and other items, and get answers to your questions about the business and the hobby. Our panelists include DEIHL BETZ, TONY SIMIONE, JAY BORMAN, CHRIS BORMAN, STEVE HAMAKER, IVAN NOGALO, CHRIS DERN, and host IAN HUMMEL.

1:00 pm: SPOTLIGHT ON JON PROVOST AND LAURIE JACOBSON
He was "Timmy" on the classic television series Lassie. She's an expert on Hollywood haunts. They're detectives. Okay, they're not actually detectives, but they are two of our favorite Mid-Ohio-Con guests and we're thrilled to have them back with us. Don't miss their Q&A interview session hosted by PAUL STORRIE.

2:00 pm: MID-OHIO-CON SQUARES
One of our most popular Mid-Ohio-Con events of all time is back to thrill and delight you. Match wits with host JOE EDKIN and those sneaky celebrity guests to win crazy cool prizes. Join legendary comics writer and bon vivant ROGER STERN in the center square and panelists BOB INGERSOLL, PAUL JENKINS, RICH KOSLOWSKI, JOHN PETTY, LEN WEIN, MARV WOLFMAN, and others for our own special comic-book and pop culture trivia free-for-all!

3:00 pm: RISING VOICES I
Every year, Mid-Ohio-Con's guest roster includes some of the most innovative and thoughtful creators on the comics scene. This year, we're bringing together emerging and veteran talents to talk about their past, present, and future works. JEN CONTINO of The Pulse hosts PAM BLISS, JAY HOSLER, PAUL JENKINS, MYATT MURPHY, PAUL STORRIE, and THOM ZAHLER for what will surely be an engaging and informative panel discussion.

4:00 pm: JABBA-DABBA-DOO WITH THE STAR WARS CREW
Few pop culture creations are as beloved as the STAR WARS mythos of George Lucas. The Force is most definitely with Mid-Ohio-Con as we present actress AMY ALLEN ("Aayla Secura" from Star Wars Episode 2: Attack of the Clones), Star Wars illustrator JOE CORRONEY, and Star Wars comics artist JAN DUURSEMA. Our imperial host for this panel will be JUSTIN of World Famous Comics.

SUNDAY (ROOM A)

11 am: ONCE MORE WITH FEARING
We can't get enough of these guys, so here's our encore Angel/Buffy panel featuring ANDY HALLETT (Lorne), JAMES C. LEARY (Clem), MARK LUTZ (the Groosalugg), and novelist JEFF MARIOTTE. It's prophesied that at least one member of the panel will inexplicably burst into song and/or dance. Our money is on host THOM ZAHLER.

Noon: RAIMI THE MIGHTY
We have it on good authority that actor TED RAIMI roams through the country side and never needs a place to hide. Further, it is known that, while he does this, he's also righting wrongs, singing songs, and being mighty all day long. Fortunately, he's taking enough of a break from all that to appear on this encore Mid-Ohio-Con panel. So who wants to ask him about Gabby's little stick?

1:00 pm: THE SERGIO AND MARK SHOW
SERGIO ARAGONES is the creator of Groo, a regular contributor to MAD, and easily one of the most beloved cartoonists of our time. MARK EVANIER is his long-time collaborator, whose credits include cartoons, comic books, television, and much more. They're funny, knowledgeable, and squeezably soft. We love them madly.

2:00 pm: SPOTLIGHT ON LEN WEIN AND MARV WOLFMAN
The eternally youthful LEN WEIN and MARV WOLFMAN have been creating and writing comics for going on four decades. We're talking Swamp Thing, X-Men, New Teen Titans, Blade, Batman, Spider-Man, Superman, and...you'd need a crane to lift all the great comic books they've given us. Here's a chance to thank them, ask them questions, and marvel at their behind the scenes stories of the comics industry.

3:00 pm: THE COMIC BOOK LEGAL DEFENSE FUND AUCTION
Mid-Ohio-Con is a proud supporter of THE COMIC BOOK LEGAL DEFENSE FUND, a non-profit organization dedicated to protecting the First Amendment rights of comics creators and retailers. Those battles don't come cheap. This auction of comics collectibles and original artwork will help make it possible for the Fund to remain our first and best line of defense. Please join auctioneer CHUCK ROZANSKI of Mile High Comics for this important event and bid generously on the many fine items which will be offered here.

SUNDAY (ROOM B)

11 am: THE ONES YOUR MOM DIDN'T THROW AWAY
Comics collecting has changed rapidly in recent years with classic and not-so-classic issues selling for record prices...new systems of grading comics coming into practice...and the Internet opening up the hobby to countless new collectors every year. What does it mean to you? That's just one of the questions to be discussed by TONY ISABELLA (Comics Buyer's Guide), JOHN PETTY (Heritage Comics Auctions) and CHUCK ROZANSKI (Mile High Comics) as they look at the state of the comics hobby and industry.

Noon: MID-OHIO-CON SQUARES II
Once is never enough when it come
s to this popular event. So host JOE EDKIN will again give you a chance to match your comics and pop culture trivia acumen with ROGER STERN, AL FELDSTEIN, BOB LAYTON, JON PROVOST, LAURIE JACOBSON, PAUL STORRIE, and THOM ZAHLER. There will be big fun to be had by all...and actual prizes for the winners.

1:00 pm: SPOTLIGHT ON JEFF SMITH
It was 11 years ago that Mid-Ohio-Con attendees were introduced to JEFF SMITH and his remarkable creation Bone. Since then, Smith has been recognized as one of the premiere comics storytellers of our time and Bone has been praised throughout the international comics community. As the story of Bone draws to its eagerly-anticipated finale, Smith is preparing for new challenges...such as a special Shazam! (the original Captain Marvel) series for DC Comics. Join Mid-Ohio-Con as we honor our talented friend, reminisce about the "Bone decade," and chat about wonders to come.

2:00 pm: RISING VOICES II
Ready for more innovative and thoughtful comics creators...and more discussion of what's new and exciting on the comics scene? Yeah, we knew you would be. So we're bringing back reporter JEN CONTINO of The Pulse to interview SCOTT DALRYMPLE, BILL KNAPP, RICH KOSLOWSKI, PAUL SIZER, and DAVID YURKOVICH...and give you a chance to ask them questions as well.

The Mid-Ohio-Con web site: http://www.midohiocon.com

#373483 - 11/06/02 10:20 PM Re: MID-OHIO-CON ANNOUNCES PANELS SCHEDULE
Paul Storrie Offline

This is only *slightly* self-serving, as I'm a guest of the show and on a number of panels, but --

If you haven't ever been to Mid-Ohio Con, you owe it to yourself to go. It's my favorite show of the year. Big enough to attract a great list of guests and small enough to retain an intimate feel. Promotor Roger Price throws a heck of a pop culture party each and every year. Trust me, he's been doing it for long enough to know just how it's done.

PDS

#373484 - 11/06/02 10:37 PM Re: MID-OHIO-CON ANNOUNCES PANELS SCHEDULE
Q&A Tim Offline

I wish I could go, if nothing else, to see a panel with Jen Contino, Paul Jenkins and Pam Bliss. I hope someone tapes it.

Man, I want to go, but I just can't see myself leaving the family for that weekend (or dragging them along either)...alas.

#373485 - 11/07/02 01:26 AM Re: MID-OHIO-CON ANNOUNCES PANELS SCHEDULE
TTROY Offline

Loc: Columbus, OH, USA
I really do think Mid Ohio Con is one of the best when it comes to the smaller Con..... the only other smaller con i can think of that is this muich fun is this Ithacon back in day....

late 80's

#373486 - 11/07/02 07:02 AM Re: MID-OHIO-CON ANNOUNCES PANELS SCHEDULE
Drew Price Offline

Loc: Pittsburgh-
I must not be hip enough to be invited to sit on a panel...

djcoffman.com

PV COMICS!

#373487 - 11/07/02 07:35 AM Re: MID-OHIO-CON ANNOUNCES PANELS SCHEDULE
Hunter Offline

Loc: Columbia, MD
Quote:
Originally posted by Steve Conley:
[b] Our panelists include DEIHL BETZ, TONY SIMIONE, JAY BOREMAN, CHRIS BOREMAN, STEVE HAMAKER, IVAN NOGALO, CHRIS DERN, and host IAN HUMMEL.

Is actually Chris and Jay Borman, not Boreman. I wouldn't nitpick, but they're friends of mine. smile

Check out the Bryan Hitch Yahoo group!

#373488 - 11/07/02 02:11 PM Re: MID-OHIO-CON ANNOUNCES PANELS SCHEDULE
Tony Isabella Offline

Loc: Medina, OH, USA
I'll do my best to make sure the Borman brothers' names are corrected for the program book and at the website. That was the spelling given me by the guy running the panel.

My fault, though, since I didn't double-check it with our guest registrations.

Tony Isabella

#373489 - 11/08/02 01:43 PM Re: MID-OHIO-CON ANNOUNCES PANELS SCHEDULE
Rich Henn Offline

Loc: Eldersburg, MD USA
Mid Ohio is the one show I definitely go out of my way to attend.

I've been going to the show since 1987, and it's always a staple in my Holiday Season.

Go, go, go...and thank you, Roger Price! smile
Always a fan of the Mid Ohio con!

Rich Henn

#373490 - 11/10/02 11:41 AM Re: MID-OHIO-CON ANNOUNCES PANELS SCHEDULE
Jennifer M. Contino Offline

Loc: PA
Mid-Ohio is the first out of state convention I ever attended ... and it has quickly become one of my favorites!

Jen

Moderator:  Steve Conley, The Pulse