Topic Options
#37849 - 01/05/99 04:32 PM reprints for the masses
chance Offline

Loc: Hahira, Ga. USA
Just received the Plastic Man archive from my retailer, did anyone else pick this up? Just curious how much interest is in this 'cause its a great collection of comic art that, up until now has mostly lain in obscurity(I'm pretty sure lain is a word...if not, then laid 'kay?). Every story in here was penciled, inked, written and lettered by the great Jack Cole. I remember reading reprints of these when I was a kid in black and white reprints put out by Nastalgia press(anyone out there remember those?) and was amazed at the imagination those stories contained. That was the first time I had ever seen pre-code comics and the wild humour mixed with the strange violence and sadism really struck a cord in me. Anyway, if you like the Spirit by Eisner your gonna like these strips(Eisner does the introduction in fact). Cole was as inventive as Eisner at layouts and storytelling. If you hav'nt already, I urge you to pick this book up so that DC will continue the series.
Thassall,
Chance

------------------
chance fiveash

#37850 - 01/05/99 04:43 PM Re: reprints for the masses
Chris Spicer Offline

Loc: Des Moines, IA, USA
I still have to pick mine up from the comic shop, I can't wait to see it. DC reprinted some stories as back-ups in Jimmy Olsen.

Say...Wasn't there a story where Plas smoked some pot and lost control of his elasticity?

Is that in the reprint book?

Chris Spicer

#37851 - 01/05/99 05:48 PM Re: reprints for the masses
chance Offline

Loc: Hahira, Ga. USA
I'm not sure if it's in the book or not(Plas smoking pot or not),I've been so busy I've only been able to glance thu' it. I dunno about the Olsen reprints, but I hope so, those are some of my favorite Kirby comics.
Wish they would issue the whole Fourth World saga in nice hardbacks with good paper...AND IN COLOR!!

------------------
chance fiveash

#37852 - 01/07/99 12:54 AM Re: reprints for the masses
BClayMoore Offline

Loc: Kansas City, KS
I was pleasantly surprised to find that my shop had about seven or eight copies ordered. One of them was mine, of course. I'd love to see further exploration of Cole's Plas, by the way. He really hit his stride in later issues.

Moderator:  Rick Veitch, Steve Conley