Joe Zabel Offline

Loc: Cleveland Heights, OH 44106
Urban Hipster
by David Lasky and Greg Stump
published by Alternative Comics
611 NW 34th Dr.
Gaiesville, FL
www.indyworld.com/uh

Chloe and Natasha run a GRRRL-powered clothing store, but Chloe's too interested in the guy running the record store across the street to be taking care of business. When not mooning over him, she's reading the novel 'Out of Africa', and contemplating a tropical escape-route.

But her friend Natasha can see through her feined indifference to the secret messages the record store guy seems to be spelling out in the window display. With good-natured quips and jabs, she helps Chloe acknowledge and accept her longings, wincing sometimes at her stinging retorts.

Chloe and Natasha's story, 'Out of Africa', is one of the more affecting and innovatively-told pieces in Urban Hipster, an anthology about life in Seattle, Washington.

Another superb story is 'Slob', follows a virtuoso of grunge as he embarks on a voyage of self-discovery. Acknowledging his lack of tidiness, he nevertheless appreciates that this cloud has a silver lining-- 'Some people look at my 'pad' and see a messy apartment. I see a room full of stories. How long has that wrapper been on the floor? Who put it there? And why?'

Our hero's observations get more and more hilarious as he tries to reform himself by moving in with 'two fun chicks' who turn out to be 'two neat-freak nazis.' Like 'Out of Africa,' 'Slob' uses accute observation of character to make great comics.

The balance of the anthology is devoted to short pieces that are unique and fascinating. A really good read, highly recommended.

Artists Lasky and Stump seem to have taken some kind of Dogma 95 vow of anonymity-- the anthology provides no clue as to who wrote what, and who illustrated what. In any case, somebody did some good writing and good illustration here-- make sure you check it out!

------------------
Joe Zabel

#37897 - 01/15/99 12:35 PM Re: Review-- Urban Hipster
chance Offline

Loc: Hahira, Ga. USA
I bought that comic when it came out and STILL have not read it, looks like I'll have to dig around and try to find it. I read Laskys' BOOM BOOM mini comics a few years ago and liked them.....did anyone see the comic size BOOM BOOM #2 when it came out? It was a neat idea, it was a biographical tale of James Joyce done in the style of Jack Kirby. Good stuff, worth finding.

------------------
chance fiveash

Moderator:  Rick Veitch, Steve Conley