Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#401014 - 02/18/04 10:45 PM The A-Rod Trade
Adam F Offline

Loc: Brooklyn, NY
As a Red Sox fan, one side of me, the bitter resentful side, regards this as yet more proof of Yankee Evil, of their infinitely corrupting role as the Microsoft of baseball, swallowing everything good and pure into their gaping Yankee maw of Mammon, god of Filthy Lucre and Wealth.

Ahem...BUT, the other, more rational side, is just glad that the greatest player in baseball is going to play for a real team instead of wasting away in Texas. I can't wait to see him at Yankee stadium. For me, the only other player that, for sheer athleticism and form, is as much fun to watch is Ichiro. Collectively, however, my team is still the Red Sox. And, anyway, once again, the Sox have only themselves to blame for their botched, ill-conceived attempt at acquiring A-Rod earlier. You don't have to be Freud to see that the Sox are secretly in love with their Loser status. How else to explain the catastrophe, all of their own making, of that last post-season game? Witnessing that game and that entire series--the ludicrous Pedro/Don Zimmer incident, the incomprehensible decision to keep Pedro in when it was clear he was breaking down, everything--was to witness a team collectively experiencing a nervous breakdown. The were on the brink of IT, the holy grail, and it was too much for them. They're like any deppressive who's secretly afraid of success but blames his failures on being cursed. So enough with all these bad-faith articles I've been reading in Boston papers, apropos the A-Rod-to-NY-trade, bemoaning their fate as curse-stricken losers, always second to the Yankee juggernaut.

(That said, the Red Sox will go all the way next year. And fuck anyone who thinks different!)

--

On a distantly related topic, here's a fantastic article, the best I've ever read, on the current Science vs. Mysticism debate going on amongst baseball fanatics, especially vis a vis the new managerial "science" that has Billy Beane as it's most famous convert and OBP as its Holy Statistic. The article is a review of a book by the late anthropologist and Red Sox fanatic Stephen Jay Gould, who as much as he tried to embrace the notion of reducing baseball to a science, couldn't resist seeing it as something mystical and beyond stats. It shows that pointyheaded baseball theories like "Sabermetrics" can bring real advantages to regular season play, while it can also bring, for precisely the same reasons, disadvantages to post-season play, as the A's have proven. The Red Sox are increasingly putting all their eggs in the science basket--huge mistake, in my opinion. The article also nicely debunks the notion of the Curse...

http://www.lrb.co.uk/v26/n04/runc01_.html

#401015 - 02/19/04 03:01 AM Re: The A-Rod Trade
Alistair Pudding Offline

Loc: Stoke Poges, Bucks, U.K.
"A-Rod".

Is there a gay-er sport than baseball? Unless, of course, it's watching baseball.

I know there's a race car driver named Dick Trickles, but still...

Good deal for both teams. Texas saves some dough from the original asinine contract and gets a highly comparable player in return with the added bonus of no prima donna-isms (he's not going to ask them to move the outfield like A-Clod did in Seattle). Meanwhile New York gets another celebrity with which to sell thousands of dollars worth of facsimile uniforms. Everybody wins!

#401016 - 02/19/04 08:11 AM Re: The A-Rod Trade
Finar Offline

Loc: Boston Ma
For people in Boston and NY this is great news because it continues to stir the pot that is the Baseball NY-Boston rivalry.

But this is why Football is king because only a select few teams can hopefully maybe see post season play in baseball where 75% of teams can hope for post season play in football.
Much more or a balance and a premium put on a front office in Football. In Baseball got the money ??? then buy yourself into contention every year.

#401017 - 02/19/04 08:17 AM Re: The A-Rod Trade
B. Michael White Offline

Loc: Nowhere
Absolutely Finar. Football has become the new national passtime over baseball. All baseball is, is a spending war between old rich guys. I used to love the game as a kid. Couldnt give two shits about it now. And A-Rod? Is this the evolution of Names were seeing here? Should I start calling myself B-WHite? Eh...maybe not, some might think that I was being racist.

Baseball and basketball suck.
Black Adam in Infinite Crisis #6 (A'la Lawson):
"Now help me eat his eyeballs. Bitch"

#401018 - 02/19/04 12:58 PM Re: The A-Rod Trade
Finar Offline

Loc: Boston Ma
And here's the ultimate kicker to me GL

Nothing says Old Rich Guys Network like The National Football League.

These Captains of Industry these Strike Busting Old Rich Guys have learned learn to live together to make the NFL the strongest league in the world.

#401019 - 02/19/04 03:12 PM Re: The A-Rod Trade
Kenneth Graves Offline

Loc: Boston, MA, USA
Salary caps work. By all means, allow free agency within the salary cap, but there has to be some mechanism to keep the teams on something close to a level playing field. If that places a marginal restriction on the superstar's salaries, too bad.

Meanwhile, we're stuck with the perennial question of whether Pedro's arm will last the season...

#401020 - 02/19/04 04:28 PM Re: The A-Rod Trade
Adam F Offline

So baseball is "gay" now. Alright, I see where this is going. I'll just make it easy for the football meatheads and provide a series of replies with a helpful topic index at the top. They can just pick the one they want and use it.

1)"Baseball Is Faggy":

Hey baseball bitch, you think you can handle hardcore NFL machismo? Don't make me laugh, bitch. I wipe my ass with your Jeters, your A-Rods, then, for fun, skull-fuck Ted Williams' cryogenicaly frozen head. I don't see no pain in baseball, bitch. Know what happens to fullbacks when they retire? There ain't no faggy Jimmy Fund or endorsements. No, they're so fuckin' brain damaged that they eat their dinner through a straw and wear diapers. FUCKING HARDCORE.

2)"Baseball Fans are Faggy"

Hey baseball bitch, I see you there with your fuckin' celery sticks and diet beer. What do you weigh, 140 pounds? Fuck that, I weigh 350 pounds and drink Pabst Blue Ribbon for breakfast. Ain't no fucking around in football, bitch. I live on the edge, pussy-boy. I'm so pumped full of steroids that I haven't gotten it up in 5 years and have scary acne. So what's up bitch, you want some of this?

3)"Intellectualizing Sports Is Faggy":

Hey bright-boy, hey sociology-boy, you proposing that the recent increase in football popularity is linked to the newly aggressive, testosterone-fueled U.S. foreign policy? Hey guess what, I'm proposing a link between my foot and your ass, bitch. Take you down like a Deep Earth Penetrator missile, bright-boy. I'm in the fucking ZONE, pussy-man, like Dubya in the Texas National Guard fightin' the Communist menace. You say Dubya's got the same kitschy, over-the-top machismo that you got in football? I say I'll fuck your "over-the-top" ass, bitch.

4) "Baseball Is All About Money, Football Isn't"

Hey bitch, A-Rod gets a quarter of a billion dollars. Know what Chad Pennington gets? A fuckin' cubicle at the YMCA. Ain't no room for faggy money in this game. This ain't no House That Ruth Built. More like The House My Foot In Your Ass Built, bitch.

--

On Pedro...I'm stil pissed at him for what happened in the post-season.

#401021 - 02/19/04 04:48 PM Re: The A-Rod Trade
Brent Grenier Offline

Baseball desperately needs a salary cap, or fans need to wake up and stop going to games before paying 75-300 a ticket. What a bunch of freakin nonsense.

Quote:
4) "Baseball Is All About Money, Football Isn't"

Baseball is a hell of a lot more about money than football. If you can tell me how Mr. Rodguiguez (Sp)is worth $14,000 per inning, I'll eat shit.

Actors are just as bad. How in the freakin hell any cast member of Friends' is worth $1M per episode is beyond me. $14,000 per inning is worse, but you get the point.

#401022 - 02/19/04 05:14 PM Re: The A-Rod Trade
Shoegaze99 Offline

Loc: Not Applicable, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Brent Grenier:
Baseball is a hell of a lot more about money than football. If you can tell me how Mr. Rodguiguez (Sp)is worth $14,000 per inning, I'll eat shit.

At that rate, Alex Rodriguez makes $126,000 per nine-inning game.

At $25.20 a ticket, ARod need only be responsible for an increase of about 5,000 fans per game, or 405,000 over the course of 81 home games, for the team to break even strictly through ticket sales. Such an increase is not unreasonable. The Mariners, for instance, went from 19,718 per game in 1994 to 22,665 in 1995 to 33,837 in 1996 to 39,410 in 1997. In just a few years a 30,000-per-game increase, thanks to the emergence of Griffey as a bona fide star and the then newbie Alex Rodriguez.

When a team is a winner - and ARod can certainly put a team over the hump, assuming it isn't fatally flawed like Texas was - fans turn out. Those same Mariners jumped by 8,000 fans per game from 2000 to 2001, thanks to their winning ways. Even the lowly Twins saw 12,355 per game in 2000, or just over 1 million total, jump to 22,287, or 1.78 million, the following year. And they kept going up in 2002 and 2003.

So an increase of 405,000 fans over the course of a year is clearly not unreasonable – and that’s all that’s needed to break even on regular season ticket sales alone. None of those numbers account for food and drinks at the ballpark, parking, the spike in broadcast prices such A-list talent can draw, and the loads and loads and loads of merchandise the man sells.

As long as his presence makes his employers money, his salary is worth paying. I think it's an absurd salary, without question, but realistically speaking it is what it is. The old “teachers should get paid more!” argument sounds great in spirit – I agree in spirit, too – but it also ignores the business realities behind why these people get paid the way they do. They get paid the way they do because they can make their employers money. When Tom Cruise stops drawing the crowds, he’ll also stop getting $20 million per film. It’s that simple.

#401023 - 02/19/04 05:45 PM Re: The A-Rod Trade
Adam F Offline

Agreed, Rodriguez's salary is ludicrous. But it's still a a drop in the bucket of the worldwide Yankee franchise (a franchise that will likely reach critical mass at some point in the future) which is why they stand to make money on the deal.

An above poster claimed that baseball was just about old rich guys, as though football weren't. There is very little in this society that, at bottom, isn't about old rich white guys. That was the point of that little joke.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >