Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#401024 - 02/20/04 01:50 PM Re: The A-Rod Trade
smackroscoe Offline

Loc: New York City
Y'know what's funny about Boston is their sense of entitlement to A-Rod. Why is Boston more deserving of A-Rod than the Yanks? Because, the Yanks are perennial winners and they're not? Is losing to be rewarded now? Bah, go to the draft for that kind of charity.

The Yanks dont need charity from anybody. When a bold move is called for King George doesnt blink nor back down. And if it blows up in their faces, (Jeff Weaver)they make another move, bolder than the last. They re-load.

Boston had the A-Rod deal in the palm of their hand, what happend? Just open the wallet and land the best player in baseball(possibly ever). But at that crucial moment, Boston management came down with a case of testicular atrophy.

Getting A-Rod is the ballsiest move of all, the sort of move that Boston has no stomach for. Thatís why Boston is what it is. Itís why the Yankees just keep winning.

#401025 - 02/20/04 04:04 PM Re: The A-Rod Trade
Brent Grenier Offline

Quote:
At that rate, Alex Rodriguez makes $126,000 per nine-inning game.

Wow. I wish I could make $126,000 for approximately 3 hours of work.

But, seriously, that's just one player. None of your figures count the other eight of the field.

#401026 - 02/20/04 04:23 PM Re: The A-Rod Trade
Finar Offline

Loc: Boston Ma
With All due respect "Smack" it's easy to re-load as you say when you've invented the money tree.

I'm reading all the papers where does this entitlement by the Sox come from ???

Poor Derek he'd better not make two errors in a game....

But then again Derek doesn't want to move to 3rd or 2nd because he wants to go into the Hall of Fame as a shortstop. laugh

I can't wait for the season to start

#401027 - 02/20/04 04:58 PM Re: The A-Rod Trade
kingtut Offline

Loc: CS, CO
Quote:
Originally posted by Finar:
For people in Boston and NY this is great news because it continues to stir the pot that is the Baseball NY-Boston rivalry.

But this is why Football is king because only a select few teams can hopefully maybe see post season play in baseball where 75% of teams can hope for post season play in football.
Much more or a balance and a premium put on a front office in Football. In Baseball got the money ??? then buy yourself into contention every year.

Wrong. Last two World Series winners were small market teams that drafted well and WEREN'T favorites at the beginning of the season. Anybody can make the playoffs in baseball. No one can buy a championship, we see it every year.
The Cubs have homegrown talent, thats why theyre a contender. Sometimes a team needs a big piece to put them over the top. Last year it was Pudge for the Marlins. This year it might be Maddux for the Cubs.

Think before you post stupid shit.

#401028 - 02/20/04 07:34 PM Re: The A-Rod Trade
Finar Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by kingtut:

Wrong. Last two World Series winners were small market teams that drafted well and WEREN'T favorites at the beginning of the season. Anybody can make the playoffs in baseball. No one can buy a championship, we see it every year.
The Cubs have homegrown talent, thats why theyre a contender. Sometimes a team needs a big piece to put them over the top. Last year it was Pudge for the Marlins. This year it might be Maddux for the Cubs.

Think before you post stupid shit.

Dear Kingtit

While I can't disagree that the Marlin won last year let's hear it for the small market team I ask you to actually iuse your eyes and read what I said.

I said
But this is why Football is king because only a select few teams can hopefully maybe see post season play in baseball where 75% of teams can hope for post season play in football.
Much more or a balance and a premium put on a front office in Football. In Baseball got the money ??? then buy yourself into contention every year.

In effect what I'm saying here is about 75% of football teams have an actual chance at postseason play can the same be said for the teams in Toronto, Baltimore, Tampa Bay, Chicago (White Sox), Cleveland, Kanas City, Texas, Anehiem, Philadelphia, Montreal, Pittsburgh, Cincinnati,Milwaukee,Colorado,San Diego ???

I think not 95% of the following teams should be elimited by May 30th.

Sad isn't it Kingtit ?

So in closing Kingtit nice try but no soup for you.

#401029 - 02/20/04 08:10 PM Re: The A-Rod Trade
Adam F Offline

Loc: Brooklyn, NY
I'd like to refute Finar but I actually haven't the slightest idea what he's saying. Please try to write in complete sentences.

#401030 - 02/20/04 08:40 PM Re: The A-Rod Trade
Shoegaze99 Offline

Loc: Not Applicable, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Brent Grenier:
Wow. I wish I could make $126,000 for approximately 3 hours of work.

Earn your employer more than that for three hours and I bet you might. And if you did draw in more revenue than the expenses your salary incurred ... itíd be worth it, wouldnít it?
Quote:
But, seriously, that's just one player. None of your figures count the other eight of the field.

Yes, they do. Or more accurately, they don't need to because we're only dealing with the unusual nature of ARod's salary. It is not, as we well know, the norm.

Alex Rodriguez and his salary is an anomaly, and if you're not the Montreal Expos, 5,000 fans per game is absurdly low (I live near a low-A ball team that draws more by some 1,500 a game). He will invariably be the highest paid player on any team, Yankees included, which means my numbers instantly plummet for all other players. Do the math. If you bring him to a market where he can create a 5,000-per-game boost in fans Ė which I have displayed is not unreasonable Ė he pays for himself. The trick is to ensure you retain the fans and that you don't spend too much elsewhere. Considering that in the case of a trade, which is exactly the case here, those numbers are lower since his big salary is somewhat offset by the salary he replaces, the boost needed is even smaller. (Texas absorbed it all signed they signed him outright. ARod's salary replaces Alfonso Soriano's on the Yankees' payroll, which offsets it some).

We talked 5,000 per game. If the other eight players on the field made Arodís salary, know what the math is? 40,000 fans per game. Hardly unreasonable. 'Course, a team is more than 9 players, so the rest of the staff would have to make next to nothing. But once again, Arodís salary is an anomaly, which is how we're dealing with it. How much must a team's draw increase about its norm to deal with his salary? That was the question I dealt with. The out-of-this-world figure his salary is, it very well may be worth every penny based on dollar numbers alone.

Believe me, I don't support the notion that the guy gets paid that much. I think it's absurd, and wrote a column about it when the contract was first signed. I don't think it established a good standard. By by the numbers, I can see how a team could justify it for the (second) best player in the game.

#401031 - 02/21/04 12:56 AM Re: The A-Rod Trade
kingtut Offline

Loc: CS, CO
Quote:
Originally posted by Finar:

...teams in Toronto, Baltimore, Tampa Bay, Chicago (White Sox), Cleveland, Kanas City, Texas, Anehiem, Philadelphia, Montreal, Pittsburgh, Cincinnati,Milwaukee,Colorado,San Diego ???

I think not 95% of the following teams should be elimited by May 30th.

Are you kidding? You have to be or you haven't watched baseball in a decade. Let's go through this list:

Toronto: Was in the Playoff hunt near the end. Blew it. But could have made a run.

Baltimore: Were very good for a while, then really bad, now getting good again.

White Sox: A few games out of the playoffs in the weak AL Central. They were in first in September. REALLY close with Colon pitching and Frank Thomas tearing it up.

Cleveland was a powerhouse in the 90s. No clue what youre talking about.

KC: Up there with the Sox right up to the end last year.

Texas: Screwed themselves by overpaying A-Rod. Dont deserve the playoffs.

Anaheim: Just won the World Series two years ago! Moron.

Philly: It went up to the last 5 games of the season and they almost beat out the World Series winning Marlins for the Wold Card.

The rest of the teams are pathetic but wait 5 years, I bet most will have quality players and make a run.

Youve proved your baseball ignorance. Please give it a rest.

#401032 - 02/21/04 09:40 AM Re: The A-Rod Trade
Shoegaze99 Offline

Loc: Not Applicable, USA
Quote:
Philly: It went up to the last 5 games of the season and they almost beat out the World Series winning Marlins for the Wold Card.

And in the minds of many, these guys are the favorite in the NJ East this year.

#401033 - 02/21/04 10:23 AM Re: The A-Rod Trade
Finar Offline

Quote:

Are you kidding? You have to be or you haven't watched baseball in a decade. Let's go through this list:

Toronto: Was in the Playoff hunt near the end. Blew it. But could have made a run.

Baltimore: Were very good for a while, then really bad, now getting good again.

White Sox: A few games out of the playoffs in the weak AL Central. They were in first in September. REALLY close with Colon pitching and Frank Thomas tearing it up.

Cleveland was a powerhouse in the 90s. No clue what youre talking about.

KC: Up there with the Sox right up to the end last year.

Texas: Screwed themselves by overpaying A-Rod. Dont deserve the playoffs.

Anaheim: Just won the World Series two years ago! Moron.

The rest of the teams are pathetic but wait 5 years, I bet most will have quality players and make a run.

Youve proved your baseball ignorance. Please give it a rest.

I don't believe I have and I don't appreciate your treatment of me by calling me names it only shows that you're bringing the proverbial Pen Knife to a gun fight Kingtit.

I stand by my statement that more Baseball teams have no hope as opposed to Football teams.

Come on Get a grip Toronto ? Were you actually silly enough to believe they had a chance last year with that pitching staff ????

Kansas City really sealed the deal down at the end of last season huh ? Why was that could it be they were out of money ???

Baltimore getting better ?? I'll give you that point but it's only because they are spending money not because they have superior talent in the front office. You only make my point it's the haves vs the have nots it's not a level playing field.

Look in the mirror youíll see a very naive boy.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >