Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#404450 - 05/08/04 11:28 PM Re: MUSLIM NATIONS APOLOGIZE NOW!
Cray_ws Offline

Loc: Chicago, IL. USA
No offense, but organized religions are overrated.

#404451 - 05/09/04 01:05 AM Re: MUSLIM NATIONS APOLOGIZE NOW!
Darktoe30 Offline

Loc: New Zealand
Quote:
At the same time, any country that has a state religion (Hear that, Church of England?)

Hey if King George wants to get a divorce, whos gonna stop him?

#404452 - 05/10/04 09:02 AM Re: MUSLIM NATIONS APOLOGIZE NOW!
gene phillips Offline

Loc: Houston, TX
Quote:
Originally posted by Kimota:
I didn't realize Muslims started the crusades.

At the same time, any country that has a state religion (Hear that, Church of England?) or outlaws other religions (I'm talking to you, Saudi Arabia!) need to seriously get a clue.

True, Muslims did not start the Crusades.

However, the Muslims didn't spring out of nowhere around the first century. Prior to the promulgation of the Muslim religion, a great deal of the North Africa they conquered was dominantly Christian. It was because the formerly-Christian "Holy Lands" were in the hands of infidels that European Christians rationalized the Crusades. One can dismiss that rationale-- after all, the Christians had displaced the earlier pagans (my kinda people, BTW)-- but there can be little question that the Muslims did impose their religion on others (even if FZ's post is clumsy and devoid of historical nuance).

#404453 - 05/10/04 09:34 AM Re: MUSLIM NATIONS APOLOGIZE NOW!
Charles Reece Offline

Loc: us of fuckin' a
Maybe I'm misremembering, but didn't Islam start up around the 7th or 8th century?

#404454 - 05/10/04 09:38 AM Re: MUSLIM NATIONS APOLOGIZE NOW!
Charles Reece Offline

Yeah, here we go:

Quote:
This migration, called Hijra in Arabic, started on September 24, 622. This marks the beginning of Islam, and the Muslim calendar starts with this date.

#404455 - 05/10/04 09:40 AM Re: MUSLIM NATIONS APOLOGIZE NOW!
Charles Reece Offline

In conclusion, fundamentalism sucks, regardless of nation, ethnicity or particular written creed, and all of these fuckers owe me an apology for having to put up with them on funnybook messboards. End of debate.

#404456 - 05/10/04 11:12 AM Re: MUSLIM NATIONS APOLOGIZE NOW!
gene phillips Offline

Loc: Houston, TX
Quote:
Originally posted by Charles Reece:
Maybe I'm misremembering, but didn't Islam start up around the 7th or 8th century?

Duly noted. My brain knew it but my fingers insisted on typing something else.

#404457 - 05/10/04 11:25 AM Re: MUSLIM NATIONS APOLOGIZE NOW!
justapilgrim32 Offline

Loc: monroe n.c.
I agree that FZ is delusional and a borderline psychopath, but i don't think that his assertion here is that far off base.

Radical Islam detests all things American, accept the dollars i suspect, yet they are free to start a radical islam church inside the united states. How would Billy Graham do trying to start up a church in Saudi Arabia for instance? He'd be hung!! We actually have state mandated freedom of religion, not only do most hard line Islam nations not have freedom of religion they have state mandated religion. Meaning you don't get to choose your denomination, congregation or even participation. They force you to go to church, an Islam church and you'd better damn well like it too. That concept is so abstract to most people that it's largely over looked in the western world. It's not a huge leap from a nation being tolerant of only one religion to a group of people being fanatically violent against other religion's. And make no mistake, that is what this is about. Religion. Not American free market consumerism, not because we look, act, talk or dress different. Nope, that aint it, they hate us because they percieve us all to be Christian/Jewish. They make no distinction between those of you that are anti-religion either. Your American, even Canadian i'd venture...your Christian/Jewish and hence a sworn enemy of Islam. Sad and juvenile as it may be, i beleive that is the over riding perception in the middle east. If islamic nations focused half as much energy on education and tolerance as they do on insuring every man, woman boy and girl is fully indoctrinated in the koran, then the extremists that plague our entire world would soon become a thing of the past.
Steve

#404458 - 05/10/04 02:27 PM Re: MUSLIM NATIONS APOLOGIZE NOW!
Kimota Offline

Loc: Louisville KY USA
Quote:
Originally posted by gene phillips:

True, Muslims did not start the Crusades.

However, the Muslims didn't spring out of nowhere around the first century. Prior to the promulgation of the Muslim religion, a great deal of the North Africa they conquered was dominantly Christian. It was because the formerly-Christian "Holy Lands" were in the hands of infidels that European Christians rationalized the Crusades. One can dismiss that rationale-- after all, the Christians had displaced the earlier pagans (my kinda people, BTW)-- but there can be little question that the Muslims did impose their religion on others (even if FZ's post is clumsy and devoid of historical nuance).

FZ said that Mulim nations should apologize for crimes against Christians and Jews. I was just offering evidence that is works both ways. The Crusades were crimes against Muslims AND Jews, regardless of the rationale (a shaky one, given that the Holy Lands had only been under Christian rule for a short period during the Byzantine Empire).

#404459 - 05/10/04 02:27 PM Re: MUSLIM NATIONS APOLOGIZE NOW!
Korvac Offline

Loc: Calgary, Alberta, Canada
>>>I agree that FZ is delusional and a borderline psychopath, but i don't think that his assertion here is that far off base.<<<

I've heard of the blind leading the blind, now we've got the racist fuckwit leading the racist fuckwit. What an improvement.

There are moderate Moslems all over the Middle East and all over the world. There are Christians, Jews and Hindus - and others in predominantly Moslem nations. Are things perfect for them? No, but there are Non-Christians getting hassled in predominantly Fundamentalist Christian areas of the western world as well. The problem is fundamentalism, not Islamic fundamentalism specifically.

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >