Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#431957 - 11/12/05 03:39 PM Re: 2000
David Porta Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Paul O'Keefe:
Some suggest that there are fewer deaths in the current war because medical science has improved that much since other wars.

Time will tell the tail. Eventually.

HA-ha!

[img]http://www.conmicro.cx/~kturtle/cartoons/2003/kt-tail.gif[/img]

#431958 - 11/12/05 04:37 PM Re: 2000
Paul O'Keefe Offline

Loc: Newfoundland, Canada
Well I spelled something wrong. I guess I'm wrong about Bush too.

Time to shave some bush.

#431959 - 11/14/05 09:47 AM Re: 2000
Ted Kilvington Offline

Loc: Mason, MI, USA
Mr. Reed, I am well aware of the passage from Leviticus you quoted, having used it in a sermon once. And are you aware of the following passage from John 8: "[3] And the scribes and Pharisees brought unto him a woman taken in adultery; and when they had set her in the midst, [4] They say unto him, Master, this woman was taken in adultery, in the very act. [5] Now Moses in the law commanded us, that such should be stoned: but what sayest thou? [6] This they said, tempting him, that they might have to accuse him. But Jesus stooped down, and with his finger wrote on the ground, as though he heard them not. [7] So when they continued asking him, he lifted up himself, and said unto them, He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her."
(KJV)

In other words, Jesus didn't think adulterers should be put to death. But then you probably knew that, what with the line "He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone" being one of the most famous part of Jesus' teachings and all.

"I still have that comic, only now it's in liquid form!"

#431960 - 11/14/05 09:54 AM Re: 2000
madget Offline

And yet Christians so excel at casting them.

K

#431961 - 11/14/05 05:52 PM Re: 2000
David Porta Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Ted Kilvington:
Jesus didn't think adulterers should be put to death.

Jesus is God. God made the rule that adulterers shall be put to death, in Israel. So, you are full of shit.

#431962 - 11/14/05 11:44 PM Re: 2000
Paul Herden Offline

Loc: location

Porta thinks his morality trumps Christ's.

#431963 - 11/15/05 06:53 AM Re: 2000
Ted Kilvington Offline

Loc: Mason, MI, USA
Porta is an anti-Christian.

"I still have that comic, only now it's in liquid form!"

#431964 - 11/15/05 09:14 PM Re: 2000
Gary Reed Offline

From Matthew (5:18-5:19) on Jesus referring to the laws of Moses. For truly, I say to you, till heaven and earth pass away, not an iota, not a dot, will pass the law until all is accomplished. Whoever then relaxes one of the least of these commandments and teaches men so, shall be called least in the kingdom of heaven; but he who does them and teaches them shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.

So, apparently he’s saying that the old laws must be respected yet he violates that law. Jesus, therefore, invalidates the previous laws after telling others to follow them?

Going back to your previous post regarding divorce…
So they are no longer two but one flesh. What therefore God has joined together, let no man put asunder Matthew 19:6, Mark 10:9

whosoever shall marry her that is divorced committeth adultery
Matthew 5:32, 19:9, Luke 16:18

But then there is your exception. If the spouse commits adultery, divorce is permissible: Whosoever shall put away his wife, saving for the cause of fornication, causeth her to commit adultery Matthew 5:32.

Yet the Bible also says that anyone who obtains a divorce and marries another is an adulterer:
...whosoever shall put away his wife, and marry another, committeth adultery against her Mark 10:11, Luke 16:18

Mark and Luke say nothing regarding a permissible reason so the vote is 2-1 against.

But then again, it’s the Bible and this is just one of 587,324 contradictions (okay, I’ll admit that’s not an accurate number but I lost count once my head started hurting so I just took a guess).

Not sure now why the divorce situation was posted in the first place, come to think of it.

But with the Bible, I’m sure anyone looking for an answer can find one that suits their needs…as long as they don’t have to include all of it.

Quote:
In other words, Jesus didn't think adulterers should be put to death. But then you probably knew that, what with the line "He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone" being one of the most famous part of Jesus' teachings and all.

I don’t know if that is the best known one. Guess it varies.. But this is one of my favorite Jesus quotes…it sums things up nicely.

If any one comes to me and does not hate his own father and mother and wife and children and brothers and sisters, yes, and even his own life, he cannot be my disciple. Luke 14:26

#431965 - 11/15/05 09:58 PM Re: 2000
Sean Murphy Offline

Loc: State of Confusion
Um, 2068 as of 11/14/05, in case anyone's still interested...At this rate, by this time next year Dubya will have killed more Americans with his little adventure than bin Laden has.

Oh, and roughly 27,000-30,000 reported Iraqi civilian casualties.

#431966 - 11/15/05 10:25 PM Re: 2000
Gary Reed Offline

Sorry I contributed to the side track on trivalities...the original intent on this board is a far more serious and meaningful subject.

And I'm not sure, but hasn't it already surpassed the Twin Towers disaster? I thought there were about 1,600 Americans but certainly could be fautlty memory on my end and stands to be corrected.

I know most of you aren't old enough to remember Vietnam and although I was still young, I saw the impact with friends and families and of course, society.

I wouldn't be surprised if we headed down that road again. I think it hasn't so far because its a big difference in volunteers as opposed to draftees...but the volunteers are getting a lot more than they signed up for. And so far, the rage has not turned on the soldiers themselves...just the politicians...as it should be.

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >