Topic Options
#451846 - 06/15/00 10:09 AM Scoop-A-rama: Jim Woodring@TheComicStore.com
Paul Harrington Offline

Loc: NY, NY, US
This week we're excited to have the first part of Sasa Rakezic's (alias Aleksander Zograf) two part interview with Jim Woodring. If you love the mysterious weirdness of FRANK and JIM, you won't want to miss this!

Meanwhile, in "The Longest Last Gasp: Thirty Years of Underground Goodness," Charles Brownstein profiles the publisher and distributor that has become an underground institution.

Also, you've probably heard that Ben Katchor won a MacArthur Foundation Genius Grant (maybe the first cartoonist to do so?). If you're interested in learning more about the rarely interviewed Mr. Katchor, we have the interview that Sasa Rakezic did for us a few months back in our Archive.

See ya there! -p
www.thecomicstore.com

#451847 - 06/15/00 12:24 PM Re: Scoop-A-rama: Jim Woodring@TheComicStore.com
DanSouder Offline

Loc: USA
Nice interview. I always like it when cartoonists interview other cartoonists - they always seem to bring up issues that a generic interviewer wouldn't think to.

Frank's a personal favorite of mine. What a treat. What I like best about Frank is how I can draw something new out of the stories each time I reread them. The stories shift and change according to what I put into them, making for an interactive experience. For instance I can decide to read the story as an allegory of whatever's on my mind at the time (personal issue, political issue, whatever). The stories play out with the characters adapting to the roles I give them, and interestingly I sometimes come away with a new insight, one I hadn't thought of the last time I finished that story.

Or I can read them as simple fairy tales. Or as morality plays.

Plus reading Frank makes you write ethereal message board posts.

------------------
Visit my site at http://www.newworldstudios.com/dansouder focusing on my comics and books.

Also, more of my work is online at http://www.atventure.com