Page 1 of 22 1 2 3 ... 21 22 >
Topic Options
#453050 - 08/08/00 09:28 PM What can Organized Readers do for you?
RICK Offline

Loc: Whitesboro, New York, USA
Just an open question that might give anyone/everyone a chance to learn more about what this group of comic book affecionado's is willing to do.

Please, no gutter talk. Thank you.

------------------
Rick Olney
Organized Readers of Comics Associated
http://www.ORCAfresh.net
orca@eGroups.com
orca@eGroups.com

#453051 - 08/09/00 12:34 AM Re: What can Organized Readers do for you?
Kevin Beyer Offline

Loc: Carol Stream, Illinois
I am hoping that this group of informed comic readers would be interested in supporting free speech and taking a chance in obtaining raffle tickets. Even if each person who participates in this forum only gets 1 ticket, we would easily generate a vast sum of money to send to the CBLDF from our raffle.

Also, from this group of people I wish to learn more about the industry and the fans who support it. The internet has vastly increased my appreciation of comics and their diversity.

Kevin Beyer

#453052 - 08/09/00 12:43 AM Re: What can Organized Readers do for you?
danelhombre Offline

Are donations to ORCA tax deductable?

-- Dan Nitzani

#453053 - 08/09/00 09:26 AM Re: What can Organized Readers do for you?
Kevin Beyer Offline

I don't know about ORCA. All of our charitable receipts go to the Comic Book Legal Defense Fund.
http://www.tactical-dracula.com/CBLDF/

That aside, you get the chance to win a sketchbook that has been to 6 major comic comic convetions in this year filled with some really fantastic art. If not for the charity, donate for the chance to get something inherantly cool!

Kevin

#453054 - 08/09/00 09:52 AM Re: What can Organized Readers do for you?
jack Offline

Loc: Just south of NYC
What does ORCA have to do with CBLDF?

Is Kevin Beyer part of ORCA or CBLDF?

Was Kevin Beyer confused by RICK's post?

#453055 - 08/09/00 05:53 PM Re: What can Organized Readers do for you?
Kevin Beyer Offline

Hmmm. I believe that I must have misunderstood the point of the thread. I tool the term "organized readers" to mean this collection of individuals who choose to participate in the comicon.com forum to discuss comics.

Appearantly, I misunderstood. My apologies.

Kevin

#453056 - 08/10/00 12:02 AM Re: What can Organized Readers do for you?
Tim Frell Offline

Loc: Staten Island, NY
Pardon my ignorance, but what's an ORCA? (besides a bad JAWS rip-off starring Richard Harris).

#453057 - 08/10/00 01:05 AM Re: What can Organized Readers do for you?
TooLateTheHero Offline

Loc: Boston, MA USA
I will say, Rick, and this is not a rub- one thing Organized Readers can do for themselves is update the website. I finally went and looked at it after seeing it at the bottom of your posts all the time, and the last update was months ago, and the most recent review was from April. Like I say, no offense, it just kinda lost me when it seemed outdated. I like giving comics away, though. I gave away all my crappy books to my neighbor's kids when I moved a few years ago, and probably contributed to the downfall of the industry by giving them Warriors of Plasm...

#453058 - 08/10/00 09:49 PM Re: What can Organized Readers do for you?
RICK Offline

Howdy!

I thought I'd respond and, while I'm at it ... apologize for any confusion that my original post caused. I thought it was self-evident. I'd also like to apologize for the chance of any lengthy responses to follow. I trust you'll forgive me.

Kevin: I, personally, as well as, Dennis Kininger (ORCA's president) and the entire membership of Organized Readers is/are CBLDF supporters. While most are not 'paid into' the cause ... they still believe in the mission statement of the CBLDF. It would've been nice to see you acknowledge ORCA in print here. As, you and I are not "strangers" to each other.

Regarding the CBLDF raffle? Send me the info in an email to: Founder@ORCAfresh.net
I'll be happy to help by putting my monies where my mouth is. I'll also include your efforts in my variety of outgoing communications. Okay?

danielhombre: Donations to ORCA ARE TAX DEDUCTABLE! At present, all donations are being underwritten by the Salvation Army. Should you care to donate ... please contact me off list. Thank you.

Tim Frell: ORCA is the acronym for, "Organized Readers of Comics Associated". You can investigate our organization by going to:

To date, ORCA has been responsible for giving away over 120,000 thousand *free* comic books (of all kinds and differing genre) since June of 1993. We produce a digest sized news/fanzine entitled, "Fresh", and we do little things like attending conventions that do not get the level of deserved media coverage ... posting much of what transpires at those events on our website indicated above. What I think makes that unique is that (to date) no other online entity has chosen to provide coverage AND post those particulars to the internet in the fashion that we have.

ORCA also has an APA. Anyone wishing to see a complimentary copy can contact Dennis Kininger at: President@ORCAfresh.net and request a copy. As this costs us out of pocket ... I would have to state that THAT makes us a tad more "generous" than most others. But certainly... not as special as the others.

As stated earlier... ORCA has been around since 1993. Silently building our ranks, trying to help younger people to discover the hobby of reading and possibly, collecting comic books. But our emphasis has mainly been on the READING aspect. Kids reading comics will often read other written efforts. Reading isn't something any of us should ashamed of, is it? You're not ashamed that you read comic books, are you?

You shouldn't be!

Kevin: I just realized that you "apologized" after being back bitten by Jack. Are you okay? Most of us need a trp to the Doctor's office for a shot after experiencing that sort of happening. Really, not as critical a comment as it sounds. Just an observation. For the record - I've "babysat" the CBLDF booth on an occasion or two before.

TooLateTheHero: Thanks for the insightful post. Yes, our site has been lull in being changed & updated, at least since the convention held in White Plains, New York. That was the event that hosted so many of the surviving Golden age & Silver age Creators. There were people like Scott Roberts, Jim Shooter, and Barry Windsor Smith there also. Not to forget, Boris Vallejo and Julie Bell too!

And... you're right about the reviews. They date back to April. Part of the problem with that circumstance is that we get a large variety of reviews...making a timely exposure more difficult. Believe me, it isn't easy.

I wasn't offended by your observations. In a second I'm going to share some news with you that might entice you to keep an eye on our site further.

We're undergoing a revision at www.ORCAFresh.net Certain changes are being made to make it an easier task to update columns and graphics by the people stationed around the world that participate in what our group is doing. I hope that will make the columns more timely and fruitful to visit and read. We're adding a Message Board and I believe a couple of updatable online cartoons. Yes, our site will soon look like ALL the other sites you might find ... EXCEPT ... our site will be advertised OUTSIDE of the comic book market. We've built a few paths and a couple of highways into the educational sector, and our ongoing efforts with the Salvation Army this fall and winter will place (hopefully) 10-15 thousand more comics for kids into circulation.

All you reades living in fear that ONLY kids will find a comic book to suit their tastes should and can relax - ORCA's also making give-away allowances to fill any adult requests for comics. We, unbeknownst to the majority of you, have discovered a way to identify the exact types of comics a former non-comic book reading adult person might like to try. 'Course, enticing an adult reader is harder than a child but we are patient people here at Organized Readers.

I applaud your efforts to give those neighbor kids those books. Do you know how many of them are reading other comics today? I know several kids, ...well, they're not kids now... they attend college in other States, and some are in the work force already. Anyway... they still read comics. And they're still involved with ORCA.

Well, I hope my responses didn't leave any questions unanswered. My thanks to ORCA Fuka for his continued support. Anyway... be good.

------------------
Rick Olney
Organized Readers of Comics Associated http://www.ORCAfresh.net
orca@eGroups.com

[This message has been edited by RICK (edited 08-10-2000).]
orca@eGroups.com

#453059 - 08/12/00 11:50 AM Re: What can Organized Readers do for you?
RICK Offline

Question: How can you expect something to change when YOU make no concernable effort in that regard?

Everyone gravitates to the corner of their choice. No one seems capable of congealing into a FOCUS group like Organized Readers. Why is this? You can't claim it's because of me. If any of you bothered to check out our efforts you'd quickly realize that ORCA is more than one opinion which, given the time of day, you may or may not agree with.

Personally (in my opinion) ... We ALL need to be less complacent. I'm reminded of this last Pittsburgh Comicon. Members of ORCA's zine team led by Bob Stronach created an amazing full color handout detailing the convention on a day-to-day basis. A more expanded edition of that effort graced our www.ORCAfresh.net site each night. We covered the Harvey Awards and several of us made new friends, met old friends, and tried to bring the general attendee closer to what the hobby should be about. And we did!

Sadly, our efforts that weekend didn't prevent a "snafu" from taking place in the orchestrating of ORCA's (now infamous) panel discussion. Imagine what could have been discussed, learned, or touched upon ... IF it had been conducted properly on the part of the Pittsburgh Comicon organizers? Missed opportunity? Perhaps. I'm sure a panel discussion is in our future. Perhaps then, you'll each come to understand that our ethics and beliefs are not any different than those of yours.

Our focus is on the future of this hobby. Our focus is on the people responsible for creating it for us to be able to enjoy it. And finally, our focus is on trying to make a difference in a positive way.

Thanks for listening.

------------------
Rick Olney
Organized Readers of Comics Associated
orca@eGroups.com
orca@eGroups.com

Page 1 of 22 1 2 3 ... 21 22 >