Page 12 of 22 < 1 2 ... 10 11 12 13 14 ... 21 22 >
Topic Options
#453160 - 08/29/00 10:57 AM Re: What can Organized Readers do for you?
Lomi Monet Offline

Loc: The Hinterland
I think Random is MILO GEORGE!

#453161 - 08/29/00 11:05 AM Re: What can Organized Readers do for you?
Greg Offline

I think it's more fun to imagine that it's a sad sack Rick! Even if it's not, let's say it is!

#453162 - 08/30/00 04:37 AM Re: What can Organized Readers do for you?
Rick Bradford Offline

Loc: Texas, USA
Two things I don't understand:

1) Why would *any* regular readers of this board want to have anything to do with ORCA? Not only is Olney their mouthpiece, but he's the head honcho. Why would you want to associate yourself with a character like that?

If the spokesperson for, say, the CBLDF behaved in a similar manner, would you still assume the organization was well-run and worth your effort? The thing is, I'm not saying that ORCA's *not* well-run and a good cause, but all I've got to go on is Olney's postings here and elsewhere. His nonsensical, paranoid, defensive behavior has been a feature on this board for, what, two years now? When does it get old? How many of you are parents? Is this the kind of club leader you want your kids associated with?

And let's be clear that I'm not here to slam Olney -- he does that well enough on his own. All I'm saying is that, based on his behavior on these boards, ORCA's validity is questionable at best. To me, anyway.

2) I've just gone to the ORCA website for the first time and I see that it's a decent-looking site for what appears to be a decent organization. My second question is: Why would any of those folks credited on the site have anything to do with ORCA? Do you think they're all oblivious to their founder's behavior? Do they know how he represents the organization? What gives? I swear, I think I must be living on the Bizarro Earth.

I hope it doesn't sound like I'm starting a hatefest against Olney. I honestly am not, but there's no way to discuss my confusion without referencing the sort of fellow he seems to be.

This is Olney's quote that started this roller coaster of a thread: "Donations to ORCA ARE TAX DEDUCTABLE!" That's a simple statement and easy to understand. Yet it took several pages of posts and two weeks of time to learn that it was false. (I know their marketing person says they're in the process, but it hasn't happened yet)

Again, I ask: Why are you people involved with and/or interested in becoming involved with ORCA?

I just don't understand.

And, RICK, I don't care what name you want to use, please don't respond to my post. I've heard enough from you to know that I'd never donate to ORCA. The only people I'm interested in hearing from now are those I addressed in the questions above.

--Ricko

#453163 - 08/31/00 08:14 PM Re: What can Organized Readers do for you?
Rick Bradford Offline

Loc: Texas, USA
It's only been a day and a half, but I'm a little surprised noone has responded yet. Is the above post thought to be too mean-spirited? I hope not as that wasn't my intention.

Or maybe none of you actually were interested in supporting ORCA. Maybe you were all yanking Olney's chain? Well, at least that would explain it to me.

Please help me soothe my frustrated curiosity!

--Ricko

#453164 - 08/31/00 08:34 PM Re: What can Organized Readers do for you?
Buckminster F. Offline

Loc: somewhere in here
Speaking for myself (of course), I never intended to donate a damn thing to the jerk, regardless of ORCA's tax status. According to RICK, the comics industry is in the shitter because of me. I guess I'm just "complacent".

#453165 - 08/31/00 09:32 PM Re: What can Organized Readers do for you?
Greg Offline

Dennis, you're reading. What's the deal.

RICK, you're reading. You requested those emails.

Howard, you're reading -- have you been contacted, and have you agreed to have this interview 'given' to you?

#453166 - 08/31/00 10:26 PM Re: What can Organized Readers do for you?
brent Offline

OK Ricko, You asked.

Why would anyone associate with ORCA? Because:
1. It promotes reading. Generally, this is a good thing. The more you get people to read, the better it is for society. Reading makes more people question and analyze and has benefits.
2. It promotes the hobby through reading not collecting. It is not trying to create a speculator market. ORCA is trying its darndest to promote the hobby. It gives comic books out for free to anyone who wants them. It helps to get comic books out which is good in the long run.

(God, I just sounded like RICK there.)

OK, that's the good part. ORCA is good. Now, we have (as I like to call him) RICKi.

...All people have their good points, and their bad points. The thing about RICK is that he lets his bad points get the better of him and ends up alienating people toward him and ORCA. It's truly a sad, sad thing to watch him go through his occasional breakdowns on these boards. However, if RICK were well-adjusted, it wouldn't happen. I don't think RICK is a complete fruit loop, but he is dangerously close to the edge. Yes, I've heard about his first meltdown, and that didn't convince me he was off the edge already.

Man, I am going to get shit for that paragraph.

Finally, Ricko, I don't think everyone here wants to join ORCA, or become member of ORCA, or work for ORCA. I do believe most want to donate to ORCA for the reasons above. Yes, RICKi does have a lot to think about (paranoia, conceitedness, and anger come to mind), but it doesn't make him satan (that title is reserved for me [img]http://209.198.111.165/ubb/wink.gif[/img] ).

I think I've said enough. I hope these answer your questions. Remember that RICKi is only one person. I mean, seriously, we shouldn't base an entire organization on the actions of one person be they the founder or not. It should be based on the actions of the organization. Just because RICKi has problems, does not mean the members of ORCA are all like that.

Thank you, and good night.

#453167 - 08/31/00 10:37 PM Re: What can Organized Readers do for you?
Howard Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Greg:
Howard, you're reading -- have you been contacted, and have you agreed to have this interview 'given' to you?

Umm... to clarify a point, I asked for the interview--the decision wasn't made for me. I had actually asked for one months ago, and things went awry with scheduling (mostly on my part--busy, busy, BIZ-ZY), so I asked again after the questions were raised here on Comicon. I sent RICK my questions, and he sent me his answers.

To make the article more rounded, I am still looking for quotes from others--from those in ORCA, those who have donated in the past, and those who have benefited by receiving comics.

EMAIL ME AT: hprice@cyberback.com if you fit into any of these categories.

------------------
Howard Price
Staff Writer
TheComicStore.com

#453168 - 09/01/00 01:28 PM Re: What can Organized Readers do for you?
Greg Offline

Wait wait wait. I was under the impression that it was on your second request.

"I had contacted RICK a few months back...Apparently he had lost (or never received) my initial questions."

Also, I was under the impression that you had been backhandedly 'notified' via a post at TCJ.com, not only that you would be doing the interview, but that you would also be taking on the job of mediary between him and people who want to know whether or not he misrepresented his organization's tax status. Rather than his simply answering the questions himself. (Or anyone else from the organization doing the same.)

RICK:
"A full expose on ORCA's present tax status will be outlined by Howard Price via an interview with me. I've also considered responding to the Comicon.com questions ... but seeing that we're all pretty close knit here, the answers will be carried over to Comicon.com by others. I WAS ejected by Mr. Veitch for responding rather unprofessionally and immature."

(Aw, so regretful. Hey! Whaddya know -- he never DID answer those questions, for them to be 'carried over!')

Jack (referring the the threat of legal action):
"Perhaps I'll just find out and get taught a lesson I know I know, but why dont you splain to the proletariat ignorati up here what you mean."

Jack:
"Fuck you Olney. You are a stupid, hollow, windbag that can do nothing but bluster and threaten. You really have nothing to say that isnt "that sort of thing" as you like to say. I'm not stalking you, you just have no defense against the fact that you LIED about your organizations tax status in the process of soliciting donations."

RICK:
"No Jack - Fuck you! You need to be taught a lesson."

If you're going forward with this, and all that goes with it, on these terms... I'm suprised.

#453169 - 09/01/00 02:44 PM Re: What can Organized Readers do for you?
Pierce Askegren Offline

RICK forwarded to me a copy of the interview in a private e-mail. It may or may not have been deliberate; he apparently has some problems with addressing, replying to and sending messages.

At any rate, I wasn't impressed with his "explanation."

------------------
"Foxy Boxer Gal Fights Giant Monster King!" in
THE CHICK IS IN THE MAIL (Esther Friesner, Ed.) -- Baen Books, Oct. 2000

Page 12 of 22 < 1 2 ... 10 11 12 13 14 ... 21 22 >