Page 19 of 22 < 1 2 ... 17 18 19 20 21 22 >
Topic Options
#453230 - 09/08/00 11:29 PM Re: What can Organized Readers do for you?
Donovan Offline

Loc: Rochester, NY
Quote:
Originally posted by MagnusII:
Anyone wanting to read Rick Olney's answers to this should visit TCJ message boards.

Rick who? You don't mean that crazy guy Rick Veitch threw outta here, do you? Who'd want to listen to HIM?

------------------
Boards...don't hit back.- Bruce Lee

Come see my new board at:
http://pub19.ezboard.com/bwordsandpictures

#453231 - 09/09/00 12:00 PM Re: What can Organized Readers do for you?
MagnusII Offline

Loc: Syracuse, NY, USA
From the looks of things over there - You!

#453232 - 09/09/00 01:06 PM Re: What can Organized Readers do for you?
Killer Whale Offline

Loc: Anywhere, USA
I thought all the little RICKettes were eliminated from the board. Did someone forget to fumigate this one or is it new?

#453233 - 09/09/00 01:17 PM Re: What can Organized Readers do for you?
jack Offline

Loc: Just south of NYC
They're like spores...

#453234 - 09/09/00 05:33 PM Re: What can Organized Readers do for you?
Rik Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Buckminster F.:
Pretty thin, Howard, and more of a whitewashing than any kind of investigative report.

Well, no, Howard didn't break into ORCA in the middle of the night or tap their phones or pretend to join the inner circle for six months only to write a tell-all article. Since he planned to give away the article on line I don't think he had a budget for much more than e-mails and phone calls. But I'd hardly call it a Whitewashing as it does mention RICK go banned from here, and it name drops the person who did it, Rick Veitch.

As for keeping this thread open, I guess it does provide a good place to look for RICK's new fake names. Glad I'm not a junior member anymore. But they seem drawn to this thread like flies to the bugzapper.

Did I tell you guys that over at Tony's Online Tips I once got talking to RICK about trolls? Tony made a statement like "I'll delete all trolls", and RICK makes his first post on the board with "Huh, if you don't like what I say are you going to erase me, too? Am I a troll?" I explained that "troll" was an online term, like FAQ or Spam, and even found a very long Troll Faq.

I don't know. He's like the Doctor Doom of posters. He means well, but the ends do not justify the means. You cannot make comic fandom stronger by crushing everyone who disagrees with you (or expresses disinterest).

Rick Olney, if you are reading this, stop posting here. The host has told you to leave, you are trespassing. You are not making your group look any better by breaking in here and spray painting "ORCA rules" on the walls. I know you want to get your message out, but this isn't the way.

Rik

Edited to fix UBB code

[This message has been edited by Rik (edited 09-09-2000).]

#453235 - 09/09/00 11:43 PM Re: What can Organized Readers do for you?
Buckminster F. Offline

Loc: somewhere in here
Rik, I would say that Howard's description of Olney's ouster from Comicon.com as being the result of a degeneration to a particular "level of name-calling" was a tad disingenuous (and certainly applying a couple of coats of said whitewash), considering it was actually because of the 5th or 6th actual physical threat made by Olney on these boards (plus his obstinate refusal to apologize for the last of these). In addition, no mention was made of Olney spamming the boards with fake names after his banning (something he still lies about, although it's painfully obvious to anyone other than himself), including his trying to discredit retailer Jack Venooker by pretending to be a dissatisfied former customer of his (which I found especially despicable). I'm not so certain that all this would characterize Olney as someone who "means well", as much as it defines him as an individual with some critical issues with reality.

What will be interesting is to see how Olney adapts to TCJ's site. If he deviates from his current nauseatingly polite facade there, he's going to be crucified (indeed, exactly as I suspect he views his messianic bad self). Fools are suffered even less gladly in Kim Thompson's domain, and Olney may well find that he'll not have the myriad chances for redemption that Rick Veitch patiently and generously extended to him here.

We'll see.

[This message has been edited by Buckminster F. (edited 09-09-2000).]

#453236 - 09/10/00 05:54 AM Re: What can Organized Readers do for you?
Rik Offline

Like the story about the fish in Astro City, a reporter should stick to the facts he can prove. Besides, you are asking him to expand the article to talk about him being kicked out here when that's really not what the article was about. It's about ORCA.

Rik

#453237 - 09/10/00 07:45 AM Re: What can Organized Readers do for you?
jack Offline

Loc: Just south of NYC
For the record, it was almost seven threats.

#453238 - 09/10/00 08:03 AM Re: What can Organized Readers do for you?
Jamie Salomon Offline

Buck, when you saw him at the Pittsburgh convention, how old did he look to you? He claimed over at TCJ that he has grandchildren. I always pictured a guy in his mid- to late thirties.

#453239 - 09/10/00 08:10 AM Re: What can Organized Readers do for you?
Buckminster F. Offline

Loc: somewhere in here
Jamie, I'd have to say that Olney looked pretty young to be a grampa (his beard wasn't white like mine), but I think he claims to be in his mid- to late-forties (I pretty much avoided his "Happy Birthday to Me" threads), and I've known younger folks than that with grand-progeny. I didn't stalk him that long [img]http://209.198.111.165/ubb/rolleyes.gif[/img] , so I'm really not sure. He didn't look old enough to be chastising me to get a haircut, though (as he did somewhere, sometime, somethread). He only has a couple of years on me at most.

Rik, I've never read Astro City, so with no shared frame of reference, I have no idea as to what your point is, but I'm beginning to suspect you don't either. As you stated earlier in this thread, Howard brought up Olney's banning in the article, but, in my humble opinion, put a rather inaccurate spin on it. This isn't sticking "to the facts he can prove", it's misrepresenting (intentional or otherwise, I'm making no judgement on that) what happened. Your mileage may vary.

I just realized, I'm discussing with Rik Rick's banning of RICK. Where's Ricko when you need him?

[This message has been edited by Buckminster F. (edited 09-10-2000).]

Page 19 of 22 < 1 2 ... 17 18 19 20 21 22 >