Page 4 of 22 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 21 22 >
Topic Options
#453080 - 08/20/00 03:58 PM Re: What can Organized Readers do for you?
jack Offline

Loc: Just south of NYC
We give cash to the local foodshelf as well as regular long boxes of quarter comics to the library. We also regularly make donations or prizes of comics or art to various charities in the area, when asked.

Despite my "tone", my intention, if indeed ORCA is non-profit, was to donate some books/cash to the cause, wherever they went.

Just because I dont get along with RICK personally doesn't mean I wouldnt give to a good cause like his organization.

#453081 - 08/20/00 04:05 PM Re: What can Organized Readers do for you?
Greg Offline

jeez, is it just me, or do you go back and forth on your support of RICK's organization.

#453082 - 08/20/00 04:20 PM Re: What can Organized Readers do for you?
jack Offline

It's just you. You take snippets from many posts, make up what you miss, and make a new assumption, (often wrong) from it all.

RICK is very difficult to deal with in the real world. First he ignores you then he floods you with stuff and in the meantime he's just as back and forth on the boards. Every time I've made peace with him he's started up something somewhere else. I would say that I'm as consistent with him as he is. When he is a total asshole I hate him. When he acts civil (?) I try to get along with him.

That's my take on it.

#453083 - 08/20/00 04:28 PM Re: What can Organized Readers do for you?
Greg Offline

"It's just you. You take snippets from many posts, make up what you miss, and make a new assumption, (often wrong) from it all."

Yes! I do! I have an M.O.! Cool!

#453084 - 08/20/00 04:54 PM Re: What can Organized Readers do for you?
jack Offline

laughing

#453085 - 08/21/00 12:01 AM Re: What can Organized Readers do for you?
Donovan Offline

Loc: Rochester, NY
You wanna hear a real sweet racket?

I once worked for a thrift store operator in Oregon who owned three stores in the Portland Area. Aside from various donations from the public, the vast bulk of his stock came from the local child abuse prevention agency. His store bought huge truckloads of stuff from them daily and stocked his store. Since the child abuse agency was non-profit and charitable etc. he got almost a 100% write-off for buying the donated goods.

Now here's the catch: the child abuse prevention agency was a privately owned charity, wholly owned and operated by, you guessed it, this same guy! So it works like this: the guy accepts tons of stuff, gratis, from well-meaning people who want to stop child abuse (and who wouldn't?) He then sells it to himself at the thrift store at whatever price he wants to name, depending on the tax situation. His child abuse agency gets all kinds of government funds to operate as a charity; his thrift store gets all kinds of tax breaks for "contributing", he keeps the money he "spent" on the donations, AND he gets to then re-sell the merchandise legally in his stores, probably to the same damn people who have been donating to the charity!

It was a self-perpetuating business with very little overhead, and the guy was raking it in. Furthermore, there are not very stringent regulations governing charitable organizations, and there was no way to tell exactly how much money was actually being allocated to abused kids. That part I wasn't privy to, though...

Now is that a racket, or what?

------------------
Boards...don't hit back.- Bruce Lee

Come see my new board at:
http://pub19.ezboard.com/bwordsandpictures

#453086 - 08/21/00 12:40 PM Re: What can Organized Readers do for you?
brent Offline

Well, over at this silverbullit.com (sp?--probably wrong), they have a small tidbit about our favorite whale of an organization. Now, here is what they have printed:

"ORCA is an organization dedicated to the promotion of the medium of comics, and in the seven years since its inception has given over 108,000 comics away."

However, according to RICKi:
"To date, ORCA has been responsible for giving away over 120,000 thousand *free* comic books (of all kinds and differing genre) since June of 1993."

RICKi's post is from 8/10/00. The article is from 8/19/00. This is confusing to the point of 12,000 comics. I know there is probably no exact number that RICK has, and it's wonderful they've given away over 100,000 comics, BUT...

Ah...I'm making a mountain out of a molehill. Sorry to bother you fine comicon citizens. It was just a weird thing to see.

#453087 - 08/21/00 06:02 PM Re: What can Organized Readers do for you?
RICK Offline

Loc: Whitesboro, New York, USA
Seems like there's no need to explain anything further. I advised anyone "interested" in answers to email me... thus!

Jack - You're so full of it!

I'm not going to dignify the remainder of you. As I stated early on ... there's a format to follow. And, in case it hasn't happened to enter your minds ... ORCA takes care of its own.

------------------
Rick Olney
Organized Readers of Comics Associated
http://www.ORCAfresh.net
orca@eGroups.com
orca@eGroups.com

#453088 - 08/21/00 06:10 PM Re: What can Organized Readers do for you?
Greg Offline

Yeah Marcia, and others -- back the f%ck up! Don't make Orka get on a plane!

#453089 - 08/21/00 06:22 PM Re: What can Organized Readers do for you?
RICK Offline

Loc: Whitesboro, New York, USA
I forgive you, Greg. You can't help being the way that you appear to be.

--RICK
orca@eGroups.com

Page 4 of 22 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 21 22 >