Page 5 of 22 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 21 22 >
Topic Options
#453090 - 08/21/00 06:25 PM Re: What can Organized Readers do for you?
Greg Offline

Dude, answer the questions. Not that you're not entertaining.

#453091 - 08/22/00 05:46 AM Re: What can Organized Readers do for you?
jack Offline

Loc: Just south of NYC
Fair enough.

If anyone has contacted RICK about ORCA's 501(c)3 status, and he has proved it to their satisfaction, could they post that relevant information?

I have an inquiry to the IRS in about ORCA's tax/non profit status, and I'm saying that because I'm interested in donating, but very put off by the rhetoric, but I haven't heard back from them yet. I would have rather gotten this info directly from ORCA, but whatever...I still would like to give a long box of books to the group once this question is settled.

To be honest, this isn't the first time this has happened between RICK and Comics Outpost, we TRIED to mail him a long box of books earlier this year, but none of my emails about tax status were answered then, either. I wanted a receipt for the value of the donation along with the info for filing, and I never got a response. I just got like fifty FRESH's along with a public ranting about why I was stealing them from him, or something.

I am a legit brick and mortar dealer. I LOVE TO DONATE to causes that have purpose

I just want to be sure its legit before I commit.

#453092 - 08/22/00 06:40 AM Re: What can Organized Readers do for you?
brent Offline

Hey RICKi,
YOU have no one to blame but YOURSELF for the situation you are currently in. Allow me to show you two of your staments that YOU have made in this thread which is a PUBLIC messsage board:

"Donations to ORCA ARE TAX DEDUCTABLE! At present, all donations are being underwritten by the Salvation Army. Should you care to donate ... please contact me off list. Thank you."

With a statment like that, did you expect people to just comply and send you books just because YOU say ORCA is tax exempt?
Then, you follow that up with:

"ORCA is registered as a not-for-profit. For the remaining months in the year 2000, ORCA will be acting as a conduit to try and supply as many kids (via the Salvation Army) with comic books during their holiday brightening efforts. We're taking on four districts this year as a trial project and hope to supply more books to more districts next year."

Great. Registered with who? Jack asked a legitimate question after YOU made two statements on a PUBLIC message board. No one should have to e-mail you privately RICKi. YOU made this PUBLIC! Now put up the proof or shut up about ORCA!!!!

Stop being so paranoid dingbat and answer the very simple question!!! Most of the people posting here would probably Love to donate and could care less about YOU and YOUR petty tiny insignificant feuds. Get over yourself RICKi, really.

#453093 - 08/22/00 05:31 PM Re: What can Organized Readers do for you?
RICK Offline

Loc: Whitesboro, New York, USA
Folks, you're welcome to think what you may. ORCA has operated under "not-for-profit" standards for all of its now 8.5 years of operation. I do not fear the question. Fact is, I've answered it numerous times.

Jack: You're some piece of work. I've never met someone so bitter and chock full'a animosity. I understand what your goal is here, Jack. You and your 'plebes' (the most outspoken ones here) have NO interest in anything but being a thorn in the side of the good efforts of a bunch of people within ORCA, and myself. I can see through you as if you were made of glass. Your "offer" previously of donating ANYTHING save jerk-fed responses is a LIE! And, once this summer has settled down ... I'll see what kind of torment I can place on your doorstep. Not a threat, bub. It's a promise.

Again, to the rest of you: I've indicated how you can have your questions answered. Other than that, I'll not respond to this thread regarding the idiotic rantings of the gutters personality known as "Jack".

Regards,
RICK
orca@eGroups.com

#453094 - 08/22/00 05:49 PM Re: What can Organized Readers do for you?
RICK Offline

Loc: Whitesboro, New York, USA
Brent: I'm not intimidated in any way by ANYTHING that has been written here. Truth be known - It says more about people's generosity and how NOW they seem to want to embrace ORCA regarding their "donations" ... this, after more than a year of hearing my endless opinion on ORCA, younger readers, and the state of the hobby. I unfairly have categorized you.

There have been three inquiries regarding information. Those parties will get their response sometime prior to this coming Monday. Thanks for your patience ... and, PLEASE! Don't forget to check out www.ORCAFresh.net this weekend as the ORCA Zine Team covers the Toronto Expo!

Regards,

------------------
Rick Olney
Organized Readers of Comics Associated
http://www.ORCAfresh.net
orca@eGroups.com
orca@eGroups.com

#453095 - 08/22/00 06:30 PM Re: What can Organized Readers do for you?
jack Offline

Loc: Just south of NYC
>>... I'll see what kind of torment I can place on your doorstep. Not a threat, bub. It's a promise.<<

Uh Rick V.?

#453096 - 08/22/00 08:23 PM Re: What can Organized Readers do for you?
Mute Offline

I agree -it's about time, Rick.

#453097 - 08/23/00 02:10 AM Re: What can Organized Readers do for you?
NatGertler Offline

The IRS has a search engine for organizations that can accept tax-deductible donations: http://www.irs.ustreas.gov/plain/bus_info/eo/eosearch.html
Doing a search for the word "comics", I find that the full name of ORCA does not appear.

So in case you aren't already worried by Rick's interrupting threads to promote ORCA, by his dubious claims, unrealistic expectations, attacks, and now threats, you now have that much more reason to be dubious about ORCA. If you want to help comics, there are legitimate organizations that you can do that through. If you're looking to donate comics, again there are legitimate tax-deductible organizations.

#453098 - 08/23/00 05:18 AM Re: What can Organized Readers do for you?
MarciaA Offline

Loc: England, UK
[quote/]Folks, you're welcome to think what you may. ORCA has operated under "not-for-profit" standards for all of its now 8.5 years of operation.[/quote]

With respect, Rick, that isn't quite the same as claiming to be REGISTERED as a non-profit and stating that as a result of that, all donations are tax-deductible.

------------------
Marcia Allass
(Editor In Chief, Sequential Tart Webzine - http://www.sequentialtart.com)

#453099 - 08/23/00 09:29 AM Re: What can Organized Readers do for you?
Elayne Riggs Offline

Loc: Bronx, NY, USA
Quote:
Folks, you're welcome to think what you may. ORCA has operated under "not-for-profit" standards for all of its now 8.5 years of operation.

Quote:
With respect, Rick, that isn't quite the same as claiming to be REGISTERED as a non-profit and stating that as a result of that, all donations are tax-deductible.

Exactly so, Marcia. Friends of Lulu had to go through a fairly long process in order to obtain 501(c)3 status. Any organization, no matter how well-meaning (and I have no reason to believe Rick doesn't mean well), that misrepresents its tax status is breaking the law.

Rick, many people do want you to succeed, and do want to give charitably. To the extent that you continue to view their inquiries as a personal attack or an indicator of their lack of compassion, rather than a sincere effort to help you to understand the very real legal trouble you could be in if you misrepresent ORCA's tax status, you doom your cause even more. And that doesn't help anyone.

- Elayne

Page 5 of 22 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 21 22 >