Page 6 of 22 < 1 2 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 21 22 >
Topic Options
#453100 - 08/23/00 10:37 AM Re: What can Organized Readers do for you?
Scott Shaw! Offline

Loc: Sherman Oaks, California, USA
Yesterday, via Rick Olney's link to FRESH, I e-mailed ORCA and respectfully asked "it/them" to respond to the is-it-or-ain't-it issue of ORCA's official, registered, non-profit status. I especially need to know: are funnybook donations to ORCA legally tax-deductible?

I also asked them to post their response HERE, hopefully to exercise some damage control before their bipolar, bullying "spokesperson" manages to totally obliterate whatever's left of their organization's fast-dwindling credibility.

Let's hope we hear the facts straight from the ORCA's mouth soon; otherwise, I'd say it's reasonable to assume that the results of the non-profit searches are accurate and that ORCA's just another fan-scam.

Paging Dennis Kinninger!

SCOTT "The Cartoonist With The Non-Profit Career" SHAW!

------------------
See the CRAZIEST comic books ever published!
SCOTT SHAW! Presents ODDBALL COMICS!
A weird new comic book cover every day, five days a week, only at Comic Book Resources, http://www.comicbookresources.com

[This message has been edited by Scott Shaw! (edited 08-23-2000).]

#453101 - 08/23/00 01:38 PM Re: What can Organized Readers do for you?
Greg Offline

Anyone taking bets?

And will Rick cool his jets?
(and rescind the threats?)

#453102 - 08/23/00 02:49 PM Re: What can Organized Readers do for you?
Donovan Offline

Loc: Rochester, NY
I tried to warn you, Olney, but nooo-o-o...

You appear to have stepped into a pile of stuff even your 'old pal' George Lucas couldn't get you out of.

------------------
Boards...don't hit back.- Bruce Lee

Come see my new board at:
http://pub19.ezboard.com/bwordsandpictures

#453103 - 08/23/00 06:11 PM Re: What can Organized Readers do for you?
RICK Offline

Loc: Whitesboro, New York, USA
Well...
I am quick to think that a handful of you are only interested in ORCA for the negative light you can (possibly) shed on it.
I realize that it's an unfair swipe at the rest of you...so for that, I apologize.

In reading all the responses here it is easy to determine who is sincere. Thanks for your input, Elayne. I believe in FoL and hope it will always be an intregal part of the hobby. You, Jackie, and a handful of others are certainly important.

I get 'tickled' when I read someone like Scott Shaw! taking the low road, chosing to critique me as someone afflicted with a bipolar disorder. And Jack ... with his, "Mr. V, I believe he's threatening to take a vacation again." Jack - You're such a cry baby!

THESE are people that have elevated the ranks of people discovering the Comic Book!? I think not!

Listen - It isn't out of foolishness or idiocy that I've decided to hold my ground. I want to allow you each ... ALL THOSE SINCERELY INTERESTED ... in contributing to ORCA's continued efforts ... to again, READ my words regarding this entire situation. There are no crosses to bear here, folks. Everything is as I stated. Feel free to try and make a forest fire out of your camp fire ... if you think you can somehoe erase 8.5 years worth of inroads. I believe that it is folks like YOU that have held us back all this time. So there!

It certainly wouldn't be the first time that mistakes were made in an effort to try and be helpful.

------------------
Rick Olney
Organized Readers of Comics Associated
http://www.ORCAfresh.net
orca@eGroups.com
orca@eGroups.com

#453104 - 08/23/00 06:14 PM Re: What can Organized Readers do for you?
RICK Offline

Loc: Whitesboro, New York, USA
Jack - You lied about wanting to donate ANYTHING to ORCA! You offered and when you and I had our first negative words in the gutters ... you quickly withdrew your offer. You NEVER emailed me regarding ORCA or our tax status. You lied, Jack!

--RICK
orca@eGroups.com

#453105 - 08/23/00 06:27 PM Re: What can Organized Readers do for you?
Beck Atcha Offline

I still can't tell whether or not ORCA is a non-profit organization.

#453106 - 08/23/00 06:49 PM Re: What can Organized Readers do for you?
jack Offline

Loc: Just south of NYC
That's because he still hasn't answered the question.

#453107 - 08/23/00 06:54 PM Re: What can Organized Readers do for you?
Lomi Monet Offline

Loc: The Hinterland
"I get 'tickled' when I read someone like Scott Shaw! taking the low road, chosing to critique me as someone afflicted with a bipolar disorder."

Rick you're an idiot.
And the reason I know-beyond a shadow of a doubt-that you are indeed an idiot, is that you don't even realize that you yourself will be the ruination of what you love the most(apparently). Please for the sake of ORCA, and all the positive things it has done or may do, step down as spokesperson, and let Dennis take the reins.

#453108 - 08/23/00 07:10 PM Re: What can Organized Readers do for you?
Greg Offline

Pawns, we are to the Olney mastermind!
Oh that I had played more games of 'Clue' when I was younger! Marionettes!

#453109 - 08/24/00 12:27 AM Re: What can Organized Readers do for you?
Pierce Askegren Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by RICK:
I get 'tickled' when I read someone like Scott Shaw! taking the low road, chosing to critique me as someone afflicted with a bipolar disorder. And Jack ... with his, "Mr. V, I believe he's threatening to take a vacation again." Jack - You're such a cry baby!

THESE are people that have elevated the ranks of people discovering the Comic Book!? I think not!

RICK --

I've never met him in person, but Scott Shaw seems to me to be one of the all-time nice guys in comics. He's done more as professional, a fan, a commentator/historian and speaker than just about anyone this side of Mark Evanier. He's accomplished a Hell of a lot for comics and he's done it without stooping to insults or bullying or Nixon-like commentary and stonewalling. With the single exception of his earlier post, I've never read anything from him that could be construed as insulting -- and I STILL haven't read anything that I thought was unfair. The fact that he made the "bipolar" crack says less about him than it does about you, and the behavior in which you've indulged.

Yeah, you've got your anti-fans -- jack and the rest. Heck, I've made a few cracks, myself. But now you've got reasonable folks like MarciaA, Elayne, Nat and Scott trying to address your assertions on a factual, point-by-point basis, and ask perfectly understandable questions -- and your response is to lump them in with the Legions of Darkness.

Apparently, you really believe that ORCA is an important outreach program. Apparently, you think you're qualified to serve as its spokesman. Apparently, you don't realize that you're presenting your cause, your organization and yourself in an absolutely terrible light, and one that plays to the classic image of the comics fan -- immature, petulant, self-involved, barely literate and socially inept. You should be ashamed of yourself. Anyone else who belongs to ORCA should be ashamed of you, too. Heck, they probably are.

Yeah, the above description applies to a lot of the others who post here, too -- but they speak only for themselves, and you claim to speak for an idealistic organization. You're the one who's trying to convince people that a comic reader is a Good Thing To Be. As things stand now, I suspect most parents reading your posts would want to keep their kids as far away from comics as possible.

I urge you to consider making even a cursory study of public relations and media -- and consider how even the best message can be obscured by poor delivery. (And, frankly, I remain steadfast in my previously stated belief that psychoanalysis would do you a world of good.)

Pierce

------------------
"Foxy Boxer Gal Fights Giant Monster King!" in
THE CHICK IS IN THE MAIL (Esther Friesner, Ed.) -- Baen Books, Oct. 2000

Page 6 of 22 < 1 2 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 21 22 >