Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#454609 - 09/25/00 12:39 PM Re: "Pitfalls and how not to avoid them" by Liam McS
Liam McCormack-Sharp Offline

Loc: Hove, eastsussex, England
Perhaps if I'd called this article "Biggest boner? Superman or mr. Fantastic?" I'd have had more replies by now that weren't from me.
Think I'll just have a little debate here with myself....
So, did they really do that?
And what about....
NO WAY!!
They said that....?
why I aughda....
No but seriously folks...any one got any good ideas about getting this artwork back? If the legal side is tricky, especially being UK based, what other options, if any, are there?
Their refusal to pick up the phone or return mail is, I hate to say it, working for them. It's the proverbial head and brick wall situation.

#454610 - 09/25/00 12:45 PM Re: "Pitfalls and how not to avoid them" by Liam McS
Jeff Zugale Offline

Loc: Los Angeles, CA, USA
Hey, there's NOTHING wrong with blowing a Velox of your original art to send out as a copy to people or to your agent. It reproduces like an original, so they can make their reprints (which you'll never get paid for of course), but they'll never be able to sell it as an original.

Sorry to hear of your troubles Liam, and Steve... don't feel bad, I can't even play most of the songs on the CD we released unless I pay my old management and record company. They stole my songs from me, and I can't get them back.

This is more backup for my assertion that we creators should just STOP DOING BUSINESS OF ANY KIND with these people. Then they won't have anything to sell, and they'll go try to rip someone else off.

------------------
Jeff Zugale
Pagan City Comics
www.pagancity.com

#454611 - 09/25/00 01:49 PM Re: "Pitfalls and how not to avoid them" by Liam McS
Kady Mae Offline

Loc: Las Vegas, NV USA
You need to find a lawyer who is a member of the CA barr association. (Actually, read your contract again...does it specify a state where disputes must be settled?)

There are *plenty* of entertainment/publishing lawyers in CA.

And you have to be willing to take this to court and hemmorage money over it.

------------------
"Screw Wizard & the blind diseased donkey their Marvel-fawning, zombie fanboy pocket draining goddamned asses rode in on." Matthewwave
And screw 'em at:
http://www.sequentialtart.com

#454612 - 09/25/00 03:32 PM Re: "Pitfalls and how not to avoid them" by Liam McS

Um...I presume a Velux is a photocopy right?
This is not an unusual situation at all it seems. It's just sad that we should have to go out into the world and into our various trades with as much cinicism as we can possibly muster. We've got to trust no one, and save like crazy for the day we really nead a lawyer. We've got to be thick skinned so critics can't reach us. We've got to be prepared for everyone who gives us a job to know more than we do, even when they persist in spelling your name wrong.
Yes, I was naive as f@Łk for years, bright eyed and bushy tailed. How could comics be a dangerous, hostile environment? Espescially as I live and work the other side of the atlantic?
How little I knew.....
Still, makes life more interesting that's for sure, and I won't make that mistake again.
I hope......

#454613 - 09/26/00 10:43 AM Re: "Pitfalls and how not to avoid them" by Liam McS
Steve Blevins Offline

Loc: Putnam Valley, NY, USA
Hear, hear, Liam!

Most artists I know (and i am one of them) only want to think about art. When the conversation gets tedious, my mind starts drifting and imagining different ways to render the foliage in a old oak tree, or trying to remember a description of a literary character i'd like to illustrate. Many times my response to a direct question is "Huh?" Because I stopped listening twenty sentences ago. And to me, the conversation of businessmen is always tedious. That's how I get in trouble. They're always thinking...i'm always imagining.

And on the subject of copies vs. originals - how can you make copies of your work when you're finishing the last pages in the car on the way to deliver them?

:-)

http://www.geocities.com/sblev99

#454614 - 09/26/00 12:25 PM Re: "Pitfalls and how not to avoid them" by Liam McS
Jeff Zugale Offline

Loc: Los Angeles, CA, USA
Uh Steve... better time management??? There's lots of instructional material out there on it, for us right brainers (which of course I've largely ignored as well, LOL). But seriously, what, there's no Kinko's between your home and the MailBoxes etc? At least you can get a Xerox...

And of course if you're all digital, everyone who gets the disk has the original -- NOT! I actually only send my art as flattened TIFF files; I keep the Photoshop files with all the separate layers to myself. And yes, I back up everything, more than one copy, and have the master set in a safe-deposit box offsite (in case my building burns down or gets earthquaked).

I think every artist should get some business instruction under their belt... saves a lot of trouble! Not that I'd know...

------------------
Jeff Zugale
Pagan City Comics
www.pagancity.com

#454615 - 09/26/00 02:48 PM Re: "Pitfalls and how not to avoid them" by Liam McS
wrtiii Offline

Loc: Ithaca, NY USA
I don't mean to beat this to death, but you should personally notify Ebay that the work being sold is your personal property, fraudulently obtained. Ebay will (and should) pay less attention to a third party. Write to SafeHarbor@eBay.com and see what they say.

You should also immediately contact a law enforcement agency and report this as stolen merchandise, and ask them to contact Ebay. Ebay has information on this at
http://pages.ebay.com/help/community/png-stolenprop.html

They list specific contact info for law enforcement agencies to use.

Don't wait for lawyers - start with the police!

Bill Turner

#454616 - 09/28/00 04:48 AM Re: "Pitfalls and how not to avoid them" by Liam McS

The only artwork I know for sure was mine was sold before I found out about all this. That said, they shouldn't have done it. I will certainly look into informing the police. It really has got to be stopped and they should have to explain themselves and be accountable to somebody......

#454617 - 10/11/00 04:50 AM Re: "Pitfalls and how not to avoid them" by Liam McS

Just a little addendum,
I've mailed my last note to the C.I.A saying that they must contact me before a certain date or I WILL inform ebay and the police that as far as I'm concerned they have traded stollen/missing goods. Such is their respect for me that they have completely ignored it. They are either supremely confident I won't do anything, or for some reason, which I can't even begin to fathom, they think they're in the right and can win this.
It's one confusing world we live in sometimes......
Thanks to everyone who wrote with comment and suggestions. It's been much appreciated. Cheers.

#454618 - 11/15/00 09:43 AM Re: "Pitfalls and how not to avoid them" by Liam McS

Just a note to Bill Turner who suggested the police. I've contacted the Los Altos police department but have yet to recieve a reply. It's been nearly two weeks.
I also contacted Ebay who have also failed to reply to me in that time. The link I was provided with earlier just takes you to a page that defines the law on stollen work and an email address the authorities can contact. There is no obvious place for someone like myself to formally lodge a complaint.
It continues to be eternally frustrating.
The CIA have still, to this date, refused to reply to any of my messages.....

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >