Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#457226 - 12/29/00 11:46 AM Re: Moore/Marvel International
Rick Veitch Administrator Offline

Loc: Vermont, USA
Rodrigo,
Although I'm the guy that slipped on the banana peel, since the SPLASH broke the "story" in the US and got everyone in an uproar, I have to admit its a pretty good joke too. News sites in the USA are always on alert around April 1st for hoax stories, but I have to admit my guard was down in late December. I've got a headline story up on the SPLASH right now, saying how we fell for it and apologizing to all.

Couple of points: From my own perspective, I broke one of my personal rules in running with this story, since up to now I've avoided reporting on events that I was involved in (I collaborated with Alan on the retro sequences in SUPREME). Without question, I let my freelancer emotions cloud my better judgement on this one. Won't let it happen again.

Second: this has revealed some of the pitfalls of working with correspondents within the context of the SPLASH's shoestring operation. Basicly, everyone contributing to the SPLASH; myself, Charles Brownstein and Pedro Mota, do so without any payment, motivated more by a shared vision of global comics culture that goes beyond who's editing the latest issue of X-MEN (since a lot of sites and magazines are covering that part of comics beautifully). We don't have the resources to really provide the quality and depth of journalism we'd like to and often rely on existing news reports and published announcements to piece together what's going on behind the scenes, tempered by our own sense of who's really running the show and currents that we see running through the river of comics culture and business. So we are vulnerable to this kind of fuck up, and its really kind of miraculous that its taken almost two years to happen!

I plan to huddle with Pedro and Charles and come up with strategies that will allow us to continue benefiting from far flung correspondents, while ensuring that the t's are crossed and the i's dotted.

Apologies to all who got caught in this hoax with us. Rob, Joe, Alan, sorry to cause you you grief in the last couple days. And to the SPLASH readers, who depend on good information, we will strive to make sure this doesn't happen again.

To Xavier: congrats on a succesful hoax!

------------------
Rick Veitch
Invites You To Read THE DAILY RARE BIT FIENDS
updated every day along with news of the world's most popular artform!
THE COMICON.COM DAILY SPLASHis always refreshing!
www.comicon.com/splash

#457227 - 12/29/00 12:26 PM Re: Moore/Marvel International
Nacho Carmona Offline

Loc: Barcelona, Spain
Dear Rick.
As we also in dreamers.com know how this news use to happen, please feel free to write us about any doubt you or the people at comicon.com may have in the future about spanish comic-books, authors, spanish publishers, etc, we'll be very happy to help in whatever may happen.

Nacho Carmona, director, dreamers.com
webmaster@dreamers.com

#457228 - 12/29/00 02:51 PM Re: Moore/Marvel International
Donovan Offline

Loc: Rochester, NY
Now that THAT's cleared up:

Hey Xavier, what's the deal with that Bigfoot guy?

------------------
"If you haven't a brain, how do you talk?"
"I don't know. But some people without brains do plenty of talking, don't they?"

--Dorothy and Scarecrow, Wizard of Oz.

Quietest spot on the web!
I survived the dot-com crash! But no one noticed.

#457229 - 12/29/00 08:55 PM Re: Moore/Marvel International
Xavier Marturet Offline

Loc: Barcelona, Spain
Quote:
Originally posted by Rick Veitch:
Rodrigo,

To Xavier: congrats on a succesful hoax!

Your wellcome.
As Nacho Carmona told you, feel free to contact us at dreamers in order to help you to mend or clarify whatever to whoever.

Best regards & happy new Millenium!!!

------------------
http://www.dreamers.com
http://www.tebeos.com
http://www.planetacomic.com
http://www.planetarol.com
http://www.ci-fi.com

#457230 - 12/29/00 09:02 PM Re: Moore/Marvel International
Samuel Catalino Offline

We are in the new one, and that ain't no hoax! The hoax in all of those who believe that the distance between 1 and -1 is 1!

It is all immaterial, because no one really knows what year it is any way! Great thing, arbitrary judgements!

#457231 - 12/30/00 06:43 PM Re: Moore/Marvel International
Rich Morrissey Offline

Loc: Framingham, MA USA
Is Marvel is really serious about getting Moore "back?" (I don't think he ever did anything for American Marvel, aside from a few pages of HEROES FOR HOPE that he refused to be paid for. All his past work was for Marvel UK, under an editor named Bernie Jay whom Moore quite liked, but she too reportedly got dumped by the company in one of their intermittent clashes with employees. Which didn't exactly endear either branch of Marvel to Moore.)

If so, then Marvel presumably knows what to do...starting with withdrawing all legal objections to Moore's using the name Marvelman, at least on the inside of a book. (He said at least once that he'd have been happy to keep the name off the cover, as DC did with Captain Marvel...but Marvel turned him down, which Moore could only explain by the fact that DC/Time Warner could afford to keep good lawyers on staff and Moore and Dez Skinn couldn't.) If Quesada could arrange that, Moore just might be willing to talk. Has he?

------------------
Rich

"A dead body won't bruise; neither will a dead conscience."
--John Broome, MY LIFE IN LITTLE PIECES

"A dead body won't bruise; neither will a dead conscience."
--John Broome, MY LIFE IN LITTLE PIECES

#457232 - 12/30/00 10:38 PM Re: Moore/Marvel International
NatGertler Offline

Moore also wrote a story that first appeared in Epic Illustrated.

#457233 - 12/31/00 12:29 AM Re: Moore/Marvel International
Stephen R Bissette Offline

Loc: wilmington, VT USA
... and that Rick Veitch drew (with embellishments on the flowering human of the climax by yours truly, who had dropped by the expansive Veitch studio for a visit that day and was promptly put to work!).

Man, this whole thing was hilarious. April Fool, Happy New Year, and all that...

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2