Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#459528 - 02/15/01 08:39 PM 1963 Collection
iangould Offline

Loc: Brisbane, Queensland, Australi...
Rick,

There was a thread a while back regarding ABC which veered off onto the topic of 1963 and its less than glorious end.

In that thread you indicated that it'd probably be possible to finish the story off somehow but that none of the principals were eager to do so and that there didn't seem to be any compelling reason to do so.

It was obvious from that thread that you and Steve (and presumably Alan too) pretty much just wanted to forget the whoel thing. I understand and respect that.

However, given the large number of people still hunting the individual issues and the growing market for tradepaper backs, is it worth considering concluding the series simply so that a trade compilation could be produced?

#459529 - 02/15/01 09:29 PM Re: 1963 Collection
brent Offline

Who says they'd have to release the end? Just get the principals to all agree to release the whole damn kit and kaboodle in a trade paperback and call it over. They could each do their own intoductions, if they even wanted to.

Better yet, just release the whole thing in a trade paperback w/o intros and let the fans' fur fly.

#459530 - 02/15/01 09:56 PM Re: 1963 Collection
Joe Zabel Offline

Loc: Cleveland Heights, OH 44106
I got every issue of 1963 and enjoyed them. I was a little disappointed since I was hoping for another WATCHMEN; Moore seemed to have less on his mind than I had hoped. But it was one of the better comics for the time it endured.

#459531 - 02/15/01 10:19 PM Re: 1963 Collection
toddfrye Offline

Loc: Harrogate TN USA
I enjoyed the series quite a bit too.

In my own experience, however, I have found the first four or five issues very easy to locate, and cheaply, often in quarter boxes.

Some months back I (out of economic desperation) attempted to auction a bound collection I'd put together, with the first 5 issues of 1963, all of the DC V For Vendettas, and a few Moore-Totleben Swamp Things, but got no bites at $60+. (I also have the Watchmen series bound together with Miracleman Book 3, one of my favorite possessions.)

I don't think the 1963 Annual is a great loss to comics history, but it might be nice for younger readers to have access to the individual issues in trade paperback form.

#459532 - 02/15/01 10:52 PM Re: 1963 Collection
iangould Offline

Loc: Brisbane, Queensland, Australi...
There was an extended period in which the early issues were common, its true.

But, at least over here in Australia, it no longer seems to be the case. We have about two issues left in stock and I've had ot turn several custmers away.

#459533 - 02/16/01 12:00 AM Re: 1963 Collection
Fernando H. Ramirez Offline

Loc: San Antonio, TX, Bexar
Talk about coincidences! I had never read any of this series, and just LAST NIGHT I scored all six issues... and two of them were autographed: #4 by Bissette and Totleben, and #3 by Bissette and Veitch. And believe it or not, they were only 25 cents each. (I'm sure they were put in there by mistake.) I'm looking forward to reading them.

I did look through them, and thought it was interesting the way the coloring changed in the last issue... as they were "entering" the Image universe. I was thinking it would be cool if somebody (or lots of folks) got together and finished that issue ... almost jam style. Maybe it'll be up to the indy press to finish that!

I do think it would be a good idea to put a trade together... but they really have to finish it first... 'cause the story leaves you hanging. I wish Valentino (or somebody) would take the initiative to take steps to have this completed. I think it would sell pretty good! Either that, or print up what little Alan did write with notes, sketches... and talk about what might have been.

With all that's gone on with some of the partners (and ex partners) of Image, I know a big problem is being able to use some of the characters they were going to use. With Liefeld's characters, I imagine he wouldn't allow them to use them, or Image may not want to use them. And all of Jim Lee's characters are now Time Warner property. So it would probably be a big legal hazard to do it the way it was being designed. If it did happen, I think they could still accomplish the same thing they were attempting by using the characters (Dragon, Spawn, Darkness, etc.) of the remaining Image partners.

Alas... like Big Numbers... maybe this isn't meant to be.

------------------
http://www.fernandoramirez.com

#459534 - 02/16/01 12:04 AM Re: 1963 Collection
Fernando H. Ramirez Offline

Loc: San Antonio, TX, Bexar
One interesting thought... maybe the original creators could just come up with 'knock-off' characters for the Image ones. I mean, the way they came up with 'knock-off' heroes for the 1963 ones... but come up with similar generic "modern" heroes, and use them for the 80 page giant in lieu of the Image characters. Guys like Veitch, Bissette, Totleben... they could probably do that in their sleep.

I think that would be interesting... seeing their versions of these wild Image-style heroes with that computer coloring style.

------------------
http://www.fernandoramirez.com

#459535 - 02/16/01 07:28 AM Re: 1963 Collection
Rick Veitch Administrator Offline

Loc: Vermont, USA
Ahh, the perennial Sixty-Three question! Sorry, but things haven't changed a bit since the last go around on this.

I think Steve has copies of all the issues for sale at his booth on Comicon.com, though, if you are in need of any.

------------------
Rick Veitch
Invites You To Read THE DAILY RARE BIT FIENDS
updated every day along with news of the world's most popular artform!
THE COMICON.COM DAILY SPLASHis always refreshing!
www.comicon.com/splash

#459536 - 02/17/01 08:23 AM Re: 1963 Collection
Milo George Offline

Loc: Seattle
Quote:
Originally posted by Fernando H. Ramirez:
One interesting thought... maybe the original creators could just come up with 'knock-off' characters for the Image ones.

I didn't get an answer the last time this notion was suggested, so let's ask it again:

Wouldn't finishing the 1963 annual using knockoffs of the Image characters instead of the originals -- and please, no snappy comments from the peanut gallery about how the words "Image" and "original" are mutually exclusive -- be stealing? Does anyone here think that would be plagiarism?

------------------
-- milo
-------
im the überführer du jour and i fear no comics nerd on this planet or any other

#459537 - 02/17/01 08:58 AM Re: 1963 Collection
brent Offline

Only in the same way Supreme was plagiarism.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >