OEMING NAILS NORSE MYTH IN 'HAMMER OF THE GODS'

A couple, hungry and alone with a dying baby on a cold winter's night curses the uncaring gods. Then, a stranger appears at the door, warning them that the gods might be listening after all. The baby boy grows up to be a hero, before tragedy turns him into the man who would destroy the gods.

Sounds like an obscure myth, but it's Michael Avon Oeming's "Hammer of the Gods" miniseries.

"It's basic classical mythology," Oeming told the Comic Wire on Thursday. "Its roots are in the works of Joseph Campbell's book 'The Hero with a Thousand Faces.' It is the root of all mythology and even human psyche, it's a fascinating book. Specifically, it's Norse Mythology which I've always loved. Maybe because I love the snow, maybe I love the harsh view of the world, most likely because I'm a Led Zepplin fan! Robert Plant uses several Norse and Celtic references that haunt me along with Page's music ..."

GETTING DOWN AND DIRTY, INTELLECTUALLY,
IN JON LEWIS' 'TRUE SWAMP'

If you were setting out to create a comic that would get widespread critical raves and eventually attention by one of the world's best-known news magazines, you probably wouldn't start with a concept like Jon Lewis' "True Swamp."

"I suppose one might encapsulate the concept like this," Lewis told the Comic Wire on Friday, "'If animals could think and speak, then they'd be every bit as neurotic and miserable as you or I.' Though I should say that misery and neurosis are as much humorous subjects as dramatic ones for me -- both at once, whenever possible. I guess that by giving animals the power of speech, the burden of memory, and the whole shebang, it gives me the opportunity to explore 'from scratch' the basic issue of just how you manage life with a brain, which has always been the big question in my life ..."

JUST IMAGINE ... A 'JUST IMAGINE ...' UPDATE

Last April it was big news, making the pages of "USA Today," in fact. But all those waiting to see Marvel Comics guiding force Stan Lee's take on DC Comics' characters will just have to keep on waiting a bit longer ...

------------------
Beau Yarbrough,
Writer of the COMIC WIRE,
Published Mondays and Thursdays and when big news breaks
at http://www.ComicBookResources.com/