Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#460361 - 03/08/01 02:48 PM Has David Choe Committed Career Suicide???
Glenn Barbis Jr Offline

Loc: Nowhere, Pa.
This is a letter by artist David Choe, that has been sent out to various sources, and has been verified that it is real.

Be warned...there is alot of swearing, name calling, bad-taste, and slams at other artists.

"David Choe adressesí Marvelís editor in chief Joe Quesada

After working with MARVEL, and then reading heaps of bullshit online spewed online
By Mr. Quesada, Iíve come to the conclusion that the new editor in chief at marvel comics
Is a bitch, liar, pussy, idiot ,shithead, cocksucker, and latent homosexual, not necessarily in that order, but that will be the order in which I address the above claims

Joe is a bitch because: he spends time acting like a tough Italian Guido writing challenges to Wizard Magazine, calling Todd Mcfarlane out to draw comics against him, (when you already know he can draw better than you,who even with his totally fucked up anatomy and rubbery faces could out draw you on his worst "GI JOE or Infinity Inc. days. You already wasted my time donít go around wasting his fucking time too). If weíre gonna sit around and write challenges and bets, I bet his goofy ass one dollar, to grow some fucking balls and put out a great book, called NYX, by me and Brian Wood, Iíll draw it for free , and Iíll donate it too some retards or the special Olympics organization, you know ,the real "mutants" the fuckers with the real genetic disorders. and I am a bitch for even reading Wizard Magazine.

Joe is a Liar because: This Fucking book was his and Bill Jemasí idea, and they talk real big. But hey fuckface, donít go around talking big willy styles, if youíre gonna shrivel up like a scared little turtle when itís time to perform. Donít fucking approve books, and then pussy out, and especially donít go online and spread lieís on how itís a fucking "proposal" . Can you tell me why if itís a fucking proposal, how come we got a colorist, how come Iím sitting in my room with stacks of"MARVEL" paper . I mean how easy is it to just say, hey look Iím canceling a book, because itís too harsh for our Marvel Zombieís. how easy is that, it sucks but itís much better, than beating off in the fucking bush. Yeah sure it still makeís you a pussy, but at least youíre an up front pussy. Just face it youíre a pussy, and a liar. Go look in the mirror, look at what you are, own up to it and let the healing process begin

Joe is an idiot because: FOR WASTING MY FUCKING TIME. I hate it when fuckers fucking do that. For future reference ,to all the idiot;s out there DONíT WASTE MY FUCKING TIME(especially when Iím watching DAWSONís CREEK)When I put out, comics I self publish Ďem put em out exactly how I want .and they sell out and win awards. I can go upstairs into my room right now and draw something, anything, and sell it tomorrow to someone in this country for more , than those idiots were probably gonna pay me to draw that entire book, (which was gonna look better than anything those fuckers put out). This is what I do for a living and that makes me the luckiest happiest guy around, I donít need to do your bullshit, Iím not some fucking kid from the Joe Kubert art school, with a portfolio and ripped off Rob Liefield drawings trying to break into the industry, you just so happened to get a hold of me at a weak moment, and swing the word"x-men" in front of my face, and thatís the only reason I decided to do it. Just to do it. Not for money , not for fame, just for the chance to take a stab at my heroís who I read growing up in the 7-11, like I owed it to myself or some shit. Anyways so I got lured in ,even with all the bullshit I heard about Marvel, and I put aside all my projects and put my heart into the X book. And then the book got approved ,(reminder the book which was your fucking idea to begin with), so donít go around ok ing books that were your idea in the first place if your gonna pussy out, and if you are ,at least own up to it like a man, you fucking pussy.

Show me someone at Marvel Comics that has ever drawn a better Jubilee or Rogue, than the oneís I presented and then show me the idiot whoís gonna sleep on that. Show me the idiot who passed on that book and I bet you an Orangutanís shriveled up nut sack that that fucker looks a lot like a fat Italian dude who is the editor in chief at Marvel .

Joe is a shithead : because he thinks if you get David Mack to drip watercolors and tear expensive Japanese paper and collage it over your drawings, it makes it look "DEEP" .oh and because he gave up doing great books like Kid Fluffy, and firefighting superheroís called ASH, both great contributions to the field of comics , to become the editor over at marvel. Hey everybody, I want the old Joe Back, I Ďm gonna start a petition, we want" ultimate ASH!" "ULTIMATE KID FLUFFY!" oh yeah.

Joe is a cocksucker because: he tryís to claim they got racier shit coming out of marvel. (which maybe they do)but in the meantime he took one look at the character sheets, read that Gambit had been assraped in Prison, that rogue becomes goth after eatingtouching) a an arbieís prime rib sandwhich and has to go vegetarian after that, with her stalking and spying on people having sex and her huge dildo collection because, sheís not allowed to touch. You read that and ran with your tail between your legs you pussy. Which I guess makes him more of a cocksucker than a pussy. But itís still earlyinto the millenium, he could start sucking that cock anyday now.

And finally Joe is a latent Homosexual because: well first off because Iím a full blown faggot, I was born out of the closet, and in the end it takeís one to know when, and the amount of time that man spends with other men, talking about buff men in underwear, and how wet his asshole gets when discussing such topics, Does not look good for the ladies. We could definitly use your big burly eye-talian ass fighting for the pink team.

In closing Iím sorry if this whole thing comes off as juvenile and immature, or like an angry postal worker manifesto, but I just REALLY REALLY hate it when people waste my fucking time, and people who fucking spread bullshit lieís . and so in closing , the point of this whole response I guess is pretty simple, I just wanted to say to Joe, FUCK YOU, and if anyone of you faggotís out there who are too blinded by Mrí Quesadaís jism in there eyeís has anything they want to say about that, a hearty FUCK YOU too you too. Oh and as far as the ultimate line is concerned. Mark Bagley still draws like a bitch."

#460362 - 03/08/01 02:52 PM Re: Has David Choe Committed Career Suicide???
Glenn Barbis Jr Offline

Loc: Nowhere, Pa.
This is the reply from Choe collaborator Brian Wood...

">>From: brian wood (CHANNELBRI) 10:18 am
To: ALL (41 of 96)
13045.41 in reply to 13045.40

Yeah, Choe wrote this. He warned me it was coming.
I gotta admit, i laughed my ass off all the way through it. its classic, pure CHOE, straight up, typos included, and he sure has a knack for this sort of venomous hilarity. and its clear he doesn't give a shit. i sort of admire that in a person.
i think i will go read it again now...

-bri
www.brianwood.com"

#460363 - 03/08/01 02:55 PM Re: Has David Choe Committed Career Suicide???
MarcDeering Offline

Loc: Newport News, VA.
Though there are points that make me cringe, he's just telling it like it is.

Do I agree with what he said? No.

But if your prepared to be a cunt, expect to get fucked.

------------------
Marc Deering
Embellisher
I BLEED black ink.....

[This message has been edited by MarcDeering (edited 03-08-2001).]

#460364 - 03/08/01 10:34 PM Re: Has David Choe Committed Career Suicide???
comic.geek Offline

Loc: Nanaimo,BC
Marc, cribbing from the WEF? [img]/resources/ubb/wink.gif[/img]

How could Choe be killing his career? Unless, of course, he plans at suckling at the Marvel/DC nipple all his life. It's not as if he did a Josh Middleton, he spoke from the hip and the worse an employer could expect is a similar reaction if they screwed him over. Don't screw him over, no problem [img]/resources/ubb/wink.gif[/img].

#460365 - 03/09/01 03:21 AM Re: Has David Choe Committed Career Suicide???
Louis Bright-Raven Offline

Well, gee, Quesada's pretty much an editor now, and really has been ever since he started Event Comics. What editor *doesn't* lie to the talent on some level, whether they want / mean to or not?

Before Joe became E-I-C at Marvel, I sent an email query letter to both Joe and Jimmy Palmiotti re: a proposal I was preparing for a 3 issue Cloak & Dagger miniseries for their MARVEL KNIGHTS imprint. Both gentlemen promptly and quite politely replied that they quote "had no interest in those characters in any capacity whatsoever for their MARVEL KNIGHTS imprint" unquote.

Funny how 4 months later Chuck Dixon's MARVEL KNIGHTS series is solicited and - how incredibly strange! - Cloak & Dagger are in it.

I think it's a fair statement to make that the project was already in development when I queried, and that they knew that the characters were already in play. They couldn't have been honest and said, "Sorry, Marvel has something in development with those characters..."? No specific details necessary, just a "straight up" answer?

This experience is what made me lose respect for Joe Quesada, because his reputation was through the grapevine of being a straight-shooter with the talent. He sure wasn't with me that time. Was I as ticked off about the situation as David Choe appears to be about his situation? You bet.

But then, this is, from my experience and from hearing the stories of talents at all levels, simply the status quo. I've had several projects turned down because of conflicting schedules with works the publisher has already picked up. Some editors are polite (some would claim responsible) enough to tell you, "Hey, this is really good, but we just signed a series to so and so and so we can't take yours." Seems to me most of such editors have gotten out of editing comics to write freelance or got completely out of the field to work in other publishing arenas. Make of that what you will.

As the saying goes, it's about being in the right place at the right time. And then a lot of praying nothing goes wrong between your starting point and the release of the work.

Bright-Raven

#460366 - 03/09/01 05:38 AM Re: Has David Choe Committed Career Suicide???
Samuel Catalino Offline

This Choe (based on the assumption that is his post etc etc) has some serious problems. I wouldn't want him near me in a workplace, convention, the planet. He just sounds like someone who might come in and shoot up the whole place.

#460367 - 03/09/01 06:44 AM Re: Has David Choe Committed Career Suicide???
MarcDeering Offline

Loc: Newport News, VA.
Quote:
Originally posted by comic.geek:
Marc, cribbing from the WEF? [img]/resources/ubb/wink.gif[/img]

Hehehe, just passing on the TRUTH!

Really.

Sam, I wouldn't mind meeting Mr. Choe, and yes this is truely his post. He's an independent creator and Xerix Award winner for Slow Jams. Actually an amazing artist.

------------------
Marc Deering
Embellisher
I BLEED black ink.....

#460368 - 03/09/01 07:05 AM Re: Has David Choe Committed Career Suicide???
Robert Offline

Loc: The belly of the beast
I got the email also and I admit that I was pretty surprised. Not by Choe's language or impetuous spew, of course, only by the fact that he was working (well almost) for Marvel.

I seriously doubt that Choe is committing "career suicide" here, if only because he has a career outside of mainstream comics. He actually has agented representation and is a successful painter and muralist when he's not self-publishing comics. Maybe if someone more dependent on the mainstream, like say Alex Ross, had circulated similar comments about Quesada, it might prove more damaging to their relationship with Marvel. And even then, only on a temporary basis, since Quesada will eventually be shoved out of Marvel's revolving door, and a new figurehead will replace him and wipe the slate clean with any creator he/she believes can move some "units" and satisfy the suits.

On the other hand, it's too bad that Choe reacted in this way, if only because it sounds like something he'd actually like to take a crack at (as he states clearly in his post). Which further explains his hurt feelings.

Frankly, I'm amazed that any Choe proposal even got as far as this one apparently did at Marvel; and if nothing else maybe it shows a slight (and no doubt temporary) philosophical shift in Marvel's editorial.

Nonetheless, I think Choe (and Brian Wood as well) have to be incredibly naive to think that Marvel would greenlight a proposal with the following portrayals of a couple of Marvel's highly valued slurpee-cup characters--

Quote:
Gambit had been assraped in Prison, that rogue becomes goth after eatingtouching) a an arbieís prime rib sandwhich and has to go vegetarian after that, with her stalking and spying on people having sex and her huge dildo collection because, sheís not allowed to touch.

This is something that might fly at DC/Vertigo, (given some of the freedoms carefully doled out to Preacher), but even then most certainly not with any iconic "DCUniverse" characters.

Ultimately, I doubt Quesada really shoulders the blame, because even if he had given such a project the go-ahead, it's hard to believe that his corporate puppetmasters wouldn't have still nixed it (and maybe Quesada, as well).

Really when anyone at Marvel talks about making more mature comics, they're only ever referring to something along the lines of the Hulk battling testicular cancer ("No, too risque make that bone cancer") as a result of gamma ray exposure, over the course of a "very special" 5-issue maxi-mini-series-crossover-super-special.
And when they talk about courting more mature readers, it only means that they've considered upping the violence content to appeal to the newly "important and viable" wrestling fan demographic.

#460369 - 03/09/01 07:33 AM Re: Has David Choe Committed Career Suicide???
brent Offline

Career suicide? HA! Doubtful, extremely doubtful.

This will more than likely help his career as punk kids hear about Choe fighting "the man" and tries to find more of his stuff. David Choe is the Sid Vicious of comic artists. He sounds like he's just trying to get attention. That's how he came off in his TCI interview. I mean, half of what he says is true and half is just nonsense he throws in to be "controversial." Ah, whatever.

Thing is, he doesn't need an attitude. He has talent, and lots of it. So why he puts on this "act" is beyond me. Well, he and Brian find someway to put NYX out. Let's hope it's as good as this hype.

#460370 - 03/09/01 07:46 AM Re: Has David Choe Committed Career Suicide???
Pat ONeill Offline

Loc: PA, USA
Quote:
I seriously doubt that Choe is committing "career suicide" here, if only because he has a career outside
of mainstream comics. He actually has agented representation and is a successful painter and muralist
when he's not self-publishing comics. Maybe if someone more dependent on the mainstream, like say
Alex Ross, had circulated similar comments about Quesada, it might prove more damaging to their
relationship with Marvel. And even then, only on a temporary basis, since Quesada will eventually be
shoved out of Marvel's revolving door, and a new figurehead will replace him and wipe the slate clean
with any creator he/she believes can move some "units" and satisfy the suits.

The real question is, I think, will any publisher or other person likely to make a deal with Choe in the future be turned off by the possibility that he will take all disagreements so personally, and make them public in such profane language.

He comes off as a seriously dangerous person to work with.

[edited to correct ubb coding]

[This message has been edited by Pat ONeill (edited 03-09-2001).]

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >