Page 8 of 10 < 1 2 ... 6 7 8 9 10 >
Topic Options
#461778 - 04/11/01 12:00 AM Re: Frank Cho Agonistes: Print Post Drops Liberty Meadows
Frank Cho Offline

Loc: Ellicott City, Maryland, USA
"This list makes me doubt you know the artists in question or my original statement. First, Moebius and Serpieri are hardly "mainstream" artists."

Moebius did the Silver Surfer vs Galactus with Stan Lee. If that's not "mainstream" than I don't know what is. Serpieri been doing various stories for Heavy Metal and Epic Magazine at Marvel.

"Al
Williamson, John Buscema and Bill Stout are hardly "modern" and their work is not exactly setting the mainstream monthly scene on fire of late (why
not include Jack Kirby too?)".

Well, obviously you didn't read your own post. You DID put that "modern" trail blazer, Robert Crumb.

"Ignoring the couple genuine talents of Jeff Smith, Linda Medley and Mike Mignola I have to laugh at your inclusion of
such noodling stylists as Art Adams and Alan Davis, who you apparently consider superior to Jaime Hernandez AND equals to Al Williamson and
Moebius(!)."

You're the one who's doing all the "equaling". Art Adams and Alan Davis are just examples of artists that I admire who I think can draw just as good or better than your Chris Ware, Xaime Hernandez, and Charles Burn. And for the record, I admire Chris Ware, Xaime Hernandez (only Xaime) and Charles Burns skills and talent.

Take an issue of EXCALIBUR or an X-MEN ANNUAL to your average community college art teacher and compare it to "The Death of
Speedy" (or The Airtight Garage for that matter) and you'll get a quick answer as to who has a greater grasp of anatomy, composition, and
perspective."

Why don't you take do the same with your selection and I guarantee, my man, Moebius will win.

Frank Cho
LIBERTY MEADOWS

#461779 - 04/11/01 12:21 AM Re: Frank Cho Agonistes: Print Post Drops Liberty Meadows
Aaron White Offline

Loc: Birmingham, AL
Just for the record, let me point out that the Backstreet Boys are better musicians than Bob Dylan, Leonard Cohen, Ethel Merman or George Jones, on the grounds that they have superior vocal technique. And The Breakfast Club was far superior to anything that artsy fartsy Godard ever did. Godard can't even hold the camera still, for god's sake!

#461780 - 04/11/01 12:25 AM Re: Frank Cho Agonistes: Print Post Drops Liberty Meadows
U Po Kyin Offline

Loc: AZ
To clarify, Mr. Cho, I was saying that Moebius is a superior artist to Alan Davis or Art Adams, not that Hernandez was superior to Moebius (I do think he's a superior writer to the big M though)

#461781 - 04/11/01 12:38 AM Re: Frank Cho Agonistes: Print Post Drops Liberty Meadows
Frank Cho Offline

Loc: Ellicott City, Maryland, USA
"It's also worth noting that one of the most stalwart defenders of LIBERTY MEADOWS is THE COMICS JOURNAL's own R.C. Harvey,"

You're right, I didn't mean to lump R.C. Harvey and Ron Evry with the pseudo "writers" and "critics" at the Comics Journal. You should thank your lucky stars for R.C. Harvey and Ron Evry because they are the best thing that you guys have at that nasty little magazine.

"so don't try to
play the "THE COMICS JOURNAL always picks on poor Frank Cho" card."

Oh, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to play the "TCJ always picks on poor Frank Cho" card. I was playing "TCJ always picks on poor Frank Cho AND anyone who has a bigger circulated book than the TCJ" card.

"I think your taste in comics is ridiculously middlebrow and conservative, but everyone's entitled to his own taste. There's an element of Pat O'Neill..."

I think your taste for artsy fartsy bullshit comics and promoting them as the greatest thing since sliced bread is ridiculously moronic and sad. But like you said, everyone's entitled to his own taste. For the record, I'm all for experimenting, and pushing the boundaries. But call me old fashioned, I like comics that I can read and understand, and drawn by a person who have some rudimentary grasp of anatomy and perspective. Case in point, I really dig Bill Sienkiewicz and Jeff Jones work.

"...then again, it's possible that you've dutifully plowed your way through at least one issue of every significant alternative comic of the last two years from
ACME to -- er, to some comic that starts with a "Z" -- and hated every single one of 'em."

First I don't hate ALL of them. (You boys at TCJ love to twist words around. Poor journalism.) I hate MOST of them. I have access to most of the alternative comics (people constantly give me free comics and mini comics at conventions) and I've tried hard to read them but most (that's the key word. Not "all" but MOST) are just artsy fartsy crap that a "bored-white-middle-class-with-lot-of-free-time-and-money-for-recreational-drugs" would make.

"Anyway, this is a tempest in a teapot -- the ill will you've stirred up among a certain tiny sliver of comics cognoscenti is unlikely to make the slightest
difference in your battle to keep LIBERTY MEADOWS in the WASHINGTON POST, and my guess is that you'll be successful. It's an awful pretty
strip, it's got a lot of fans, so more power to you. Any comic strip that has a faithful and vocal readership is a good thing, whether I like that particular
strip or not. OK?"

Okay.

Frank Cho
LIBERTY MEADOWS

#461782 - 04/11/01 01:26 AM Re: Frank Cho Agonistes: Print Post Drops Liberty Meadows
Aaron White Offline

Frank Cho wrote: "But call me old fashioned, I like comics that I can read and understand."

Well, you can't run Linux on a Colecovision.

#461783 - 04/11/01 01:39 AM Re: Frank Cho Agonistes: Print Post Drops Liberty Meadows
Aaron White Offline

However, in the interest of fairness, I did think Milo George's review of LM was more performance piece than criticism. It was a hatchet job, not a balanced appraisal.

Please do not misconstrue this as a defense of the derivative eye candy that is LM.

Edited for mild typos.

[This message has been edited by Aaron White (edited 04-11-2001).]

#461784 - 04/11/01 03:06 AM Re: Frank Cho Agonistes: Print Post Drops Liberty Meadows
Matthewwave Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA USA
Frank Cho has named, in that list, a number of artists whose work I enjoy, a few whose work I think is truly superior (Mignolia, for example), and none who I feel are as strong in the draftsmanship department as Chuckie Burns...

Just my O.

Matthew

#461785 - 04/11/01 03:17 AM Re: Frank Cho Agonistes: Print Post Drops Liberty Meadows
Matthewwave Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA USA
"First I don't hate ALL of them. (You boys at TCJ love to twist words around. Poor journalism.) I hate MOST of them. I have access to most of the alternative comics (people constantly give me free comics and mini comics at conventions) and I've tried hard to read them but most (that's the key word. Not "all" but MOST) are just artsy fartsy crap that a "bored-white-middle-class-with-lot-of-free-time-and-money-for-recreational-drugs" would make."

There's also always the chance that your ability to boil MOST alterna-books down to this simple equation is the result of you having really bad taste in comic books.

But, before I could even begin to guess, I'd want terms defined a little more specifically. There's tons of books out there that are indeed "alternative" books -- books from smaller, "independent" publishers, that would find no love among "you Journal people." One could argue that Liberty Meadows is one such book. Yet you singling out TCJ-type folk at all makes me think you are either not referring to these types of books, but instead, say, MOST of any books that have been positively reviewed in the Journal.

You know, those artsy-fartsy wastes of paper, MOST of which are just bad...

Matthew

#461786 - 04/11/01 09:36 AM Re: Frank Cho Agonistes: Print Post Drops Liberty Meadows
JE Smith Offline

Loc: Irving, TX 75038
>>>One gets the impression that Cho's the type who would gladly tear down the Picassos from the museum walls and replace them
with anatomically "correct" drawings of barbarians, women with big tits, and Dinosaurs!

>>>No. I would replace them with Norman Rockwell, N.C. Wyeth, Alma-Tadema, Howard Pyle, Degas, John Singer Sargent, Velazquez, etc...People with real talent.

Frank, I admire the hell out of your artwork. But if you really think Norman Rockwell has more "real talent" than Picasso, then you're not just a poor judge of art, you're a fucking idiot.

#461787 - 04/11/01 10:32 AM Re: Frank Cho Agonistes: Print Post Drops Liberty Meadows
savage Offline

Loc: Minneapolis,MN USA
umm...does anybody arguing with Frank actually know the definition of draftsmanship?

For strong draftsmen his list isn't bad at all.

Page 8 of 10 < 1 2 ... 6 7 8 9 10 >