Page 31 of 32 < 1 2 ... 29 30 31 32 >
Topic Options
#462424 - 04/12/01 06:07 PM Re: Pat O'Neill: Please Explain
Rick Veitch Administrator Offline

Loc: Vermont, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Pete Charles:
Seperately both Peter and Gary are wondering if Rick Veitch set up the whole thing in order to provide fodder for his message board when he eventually created it. The possibilities are endless. (Maybe Dream did it?)

Nah. It was Geppi. Had to be.

------------------
Rick Veitch
Invites You To Read THE DAILY RARE BIT FIENDS
updated every day along with news of the world's most popular artform!
THE COMICON.COM DAILY SPLASHis always refreshing!
www.comicon.com/splash

#462425 - 04/12/01 06:10 PM Re: Pat O'Neill: Please Explain
Gary Groth Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA USA
Kim, these guys are too smart for us. We're gonna have to come clean.

This is a shameful part of our fast and I write this through tear-veiled eyes. I just can't believe we were found out. Now I know what Chuck Colson felt like.

OK, it hapened like this. Peter David. Here was a guy who just seemed to have it all: a respected writer, Wildean wit, bon vivant, not to mention the youthful physique and matinee idol looks. I mean, he wrote Star Trek novels and the Hulk for God's sake! Plus a perfect marriage. (Well, I only knew what I read in his CGB column.) It all just stuck in my craw. Some guys just have it all and PAD seemed to be one of them.

One day I just cracked. Went into a jealous rage. Who the hell did Peter David think he was? Admittedly, this was a low moment, even for me. My mission in life became: Get PAD. Every waking moment, I obsessed.

It was too big a job for me alone, so I called up my buddy Dave Sim, who has a much more refined Machievelian cast of mind than I do, bless him. I explained my need and, as usual, he had a plan. "Didn't you have some psychotic woman working there who quit recently," he asked. "Hey, don't be redundant," I countered, "she was a woman." "Right, right," he corrected himself, "Haven't you established that she stole your rolodex," he asked, that twinkle in his eye practically visible over the phone lines. "Heeeeyyyy," I said, "Are you thinking what I'm thinking?" Of course he was. So, I got to work.

First, plant the Peter David rolodex card in our rolodex with some made-up New York address. Easy to do. Just wait til no one was left in the office. Who would suspect me of al people? Next, write the fake letter. I spent weeks scrupulously studying PAD's distinctive literary style (a pleasure in itself, of course) -- to no avail, according to PAD who pronounced it a flawed imitation. (My heart fell when I read that.) Enlist a friend --to be known as Mr. X-- to mail it from New York.

Then, the ingenious part: I would write a scathing reply for which I would have to apologize! But, wait, I hear your razor sharp minds clickign away, wouldn't writign a scathing reply to a "fake" Peter David letter and having to apologize for it make me look like an ass? Hah! That's where our genius and cunning came into play. Why would I do something that would make me look like an ass? If I provided no motive, I felt I could get away with it. After all, it would entirely irrational to do something this stupid and counter-productive to one's own reputation. Plus, we had a built=-in scapegooat: the embittered ex-employee about whom we already planted the story of the stolen rolodex. Ah, the perfect crime! If only Hitchcock were still alive, I'm sure we could've sold a screenplay.

I would then --and here was to be the coup de grace-- write an apology and sign it "The Editors," cleverly circumnavigating my own culpability in the devious plot. PAD, however, was too smart for me here: he saw through this instantly and called me on it. Naturally, I had to come up with some disingenuous dodge and cobbled together some collective guilt rationale -- obviously ridiculous since magazines are always the responsibility of a single person. PAD saw through this, too. I couldn't get away with anything!

Feeling cornered, I pen this confession in guilt and shame.

Kim, I have not revealed your own part in this, but I urge to do confess. I already feel better, and you will too.

#462426 - 04/12/01 07:09 PM Re: Pat O'Neill: Please Explain
ChrisW Online   content

Loc: Lincoln, Nebraska USA
I've kept my mouth shut for a while, but I just have to say, God that was funny.

"I think ChrisW is the funniest man in entertainment still alive..."
-- the perceptive Tom Spurgeon

#462427 - 04/12/01 07:27 PM Re: Pat O'Neill: Please Explain
Chris Ekman Offline

Loc: Barre, MA, US
Hey, I get what's going on now- Peter is just trying to ratchet up his score on the Enemies List Gary is writing for the 25th anniversary Journal! Awww... in a perverse way, that's really rather sweet.

#462428 - 04/12/01 08:13 PM Re: Pat O'Neill: Please Explain
Jim Hanley Offline

Loc: NYC
Enemies' List? There's gonna be an Enemies' List?

Hey, I should be on that. I've opposed everything that Fantagraphics has ever done.

Except that "speaking truth to power/comfort the afflicted, afflict the comfortable/muckraking journalism" thing. And the "publish good comics even if they have little chance to be profitable" thing. Oh, and the "produce merchandise that will sell well enough that comics retailers don't have to go out and work for a living" thing.

But, I did make fun of Kim's gym shorts at San Diego in 1992. And I made a big deal about Gary being a gun nut after Carol Sobocynski (whose name may not be spoken) brought it up on a panel at Chicago in 1993. Hell, I was mentioned, by name, by Brian Hibbs in Blood and Thunder for selling copies of the Death of Superman for more than cover price. (Well, Gary defended me for that, but it was in Blood & Thunder.)

I just know that I'd better get at least an honorable mention. I have copies of early issues of Fantastic Fanzine with those syncophantic interviews in 'em.

Extortion is such a nasty word.

[Edited because three typos are just too many.]

[This message has been edited by Jim Hanley (edited 04-12-2001).]

[So are four.]

[This message has been edited by Jim Hanley (edited 04-12-2001).]

#462429 - 04/12/01 09:56 PM Re: Pat O'Neill: Please Explain
gene phillips Offline

Loc: Houston, TX
A quick historical question for Peter David, if he chooses to answer it:

Back when I regularly read CBG--early '90's I guess-- I recall you wrote a satirical column in the form of a panel, and one member of the panel was a hypocritical "artsy" publisher who suspiciously resembled certain public conceptions of Gary Groth.

Gary Groth himself referred to certain "shots" you had taken at him in your CBG column in his recent SEQUENTIAL TART interview, and I assume that he read this column and recognized himself as the target.

Do you know the approximate date of this column? I just want to know for my own sense of the history of things. If you don't care to answer that's OK.

#462430 - 04/12/01 11:36 PM Re: Pat O'Neill: Please Explain
Joe Zabel Offline

Loc: Cleveland Heights, OH 44106
Meanwhile at the 'comicon help me write this' thread at http://www.comicon.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/003066.html , the atheism/religion discussion has turned to a consideration of the meaning of idolatry and the existence/nonexistence of consciousness!

And now back to our feud...

#462431 - 04/13/01 07:38 AM Re: Pat O'Neill: Please Explain
Serapion Offline

Loc: Serapionville, USA
Groth wrote in reply to a hypothesis by Peter David:

"That's a pretty good theory. Almost as good as mine, which posits that you flew to Seattle, broke into the Journal offices [...] hid in the attic [...] until the 'coast was clear,' but found the door to the first floor locked, which meant you had to rip your clothes into strips, dangle the 'rope' out the window, and lower yourself out the second story window, and scuttle home [...]"

He followed this statement with the following request:

"(Jeremy Pinkham: Can you provide an illustration of a naked PAD dangling out our second story window, please? Thank you.)"

--

After a period of meditation, I came up with the missing scene in the story as described -- the crucial moment, just after David's decent, when the nocturnal Groth returned to the office after a long day at the shooting range, only to discover his very naked rival in the Fantagraphics parking lot...

DISCLAIMER: This is a parody image, and is in no way intended to represent true events. To complete the noir feel of the parody, a Miller/Varley pistol was included in the image, but in no way do I endorse violence in this or any other human conflict. The image is not intended to threaten in any way, merely amuse. Thank you...

[This message has been edited by Serapion (edited 04-13-2001).]

#462432 - 04/13/01 08:38 AM Re: Pat O'Neill: Please Explain
Peter David Offline

Loc: NY, NY
Quote:
Originally posted by Chris Ekman:
Hey, I get what's going on now- Peter is just trying to ratchet up his score on the Enemies List Gary is writing for the 25th anniversary Journal! Awww... in a perverse way, that's really rather sweet.

Hadn't heard about it.

And yes, Groth's latest effort is quite funny...although the funniest thing is that he'll write *anything* rather than, "I, Gary Groth, am sorry I attacked Peter David" and actually mean it.

PAD

#462433 - 04/13/01 08:39 AM Re: Pat O'Neill: Please Explain
Peter David Offline

Loc: NY, NY
>deleted due to duplication<

[This message has been edited by Peter David (edited 04-13-2001).]

Page 31 of 32 < 1 2 ... 29 30 31 32 >