This week I had the pleasure of interviewing Dean, “Dino,” “Deenie-Weenie,” “Dean-the-Bad-M.-F.” Haspiel. It was a charming, intimate conversation that has led me to reconsider not only my view of comics narrative, but the window treatments of my 5th Avenue townhouse. (Who says that comic book artists aren’t useful members of society?) I’ve edited this epic article down to comments related to Dean’s BILLY DOGMA and his forthcoming work, like OPPOSABLE THUMBS, but there’s plenty here to inspire your worship (or at least interest) for the badboy of comicdom.

Meanwhile, Michael Chabon didn’t write a comic book, but he did write a novel based in the early history of American comics, and for that he’s received something that few would’ve considered likely given the subject matter. This past week his AMAZING ADVENTURES OF KAVALIER & CLAY received the 2001 Pulitzer Prize. So that you might learn a bit about what besides its setting made this book worthy of the USA’s most significant literary award, come by and check out Ross Alvord’s Feature article that we published originally back in Octorber. Geeks of the world unite!

ALSO: It's time once again to cast your votes for the Sixth Annual Firecracker Alternative Book Awards! [Voting booths close next Friday!] The FABs are one of the only book awards that acknowledge categories like Graphic Novels and Zines as well as Fiction, Non-Fiction, and, uh, Sex. Anyone can vote and everyone should!

See ya' there! -p
www.thecomicstore.com