GHOST RIDER BACK IN THE FAST LANE

Marvel Comics fans who have been missing their dose of heavy metal thunder should keep their summer free, when the leaner and meaner Ghost Rider roars back into comic shops.

The six issue miniseries features Johnny Blaze as Ghost Rider, and doesn't address the situation with the other Ghost Rider, Danny Ketch. Writer Devin Grayson told WonderCon attendees on Saturday that the six issue miniseries doesn't have room for the "dense" continuity of Ghost Rider.

"I'm much more interested in biker culture than past continuity," Grayson said ...

FROM KIRBY TO 'KAVALIER & CLAY:'
MICHAEL CHABON'S COMIC BOOK ODYSSEY

Last week, Michael Chabon became a Pulitzer prize-winning novelist.

But the road to "The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay" -- which tells the tale of two Golden Age comic creators -- began when he was just a boy, first discovering the larger than life work of Jack Kirby.

"I've never made a secret of the fact that I am and always have been a huge Jack Kirby fan," Chabon said Friday at WonderCon ...

'HAWKMAN' ONGOING TAKES FLIGHT FROM 'JSA'

This spring, readers of DC Comics' "JSA" series are seeing the return of the poster boy for why continuity is now a dirty word with so many comic creators and fans, Hawkman.

The character, who was more or less dropped into obscurity by the company once his background and identity became hopelessly confused, will actually be getting his own new monthly series, now that "JSA" writers David Goyer and Geoff Johns found a way to deal with the Gordian Knot of his most recent depictions.

"I think we found a way to keep the bulk of everything, and ignored a few stupid things," Goyer said at a "JSA" panel Saturday at WonderCon ...

DC/WILDSTORM WONDERCON ROUND-UP

While fans flocked to WonderCon in higher numbers than last year, the Oakland, Ca. convention was marked by a light industry presence, with DC Comics the only major publisher in attendance ...

COMIC-CON INTERNATIONAL BUYS WONDERCON

In the worst-kept WonderCon secret since last year's worst-kept secret (which was a little something about Frank Miller doing a sequel to "Batman: The Dark Knight Returns"), Comic-Con International announced Sunday that it was acquiring WonderCon ...

------------------
Beau Yarbrough,
Writer of the COMIC WIRE,
Published Mondays and Thursdays and when big news breaks
at http://www.ComicBookResources.com/