Topic Options
#463991 - 04/25/01 05:35 PM Comic Sales Charts - anyone got 'em?
ComicDataBoy Offline

Hello...
I've been searching the internet for the Comic Sales Charts showing the "order index" for each month of comic orders. I'm sure you've all seen them (so you know what I'm talking about).

Anyway, search engines like Google.com always point to a site by John Northey with an Excel Spreadsheet available as a zipped file, "c_sales.zip", but that site is no longer available.

I know that Matthew High and Michael Burns have compiled those charts over the years,
but I can't find the charts themselves.

I need the charts from 1991 to 2001,
can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks!

#463992 - 04/26/01 03:56 AM Re: Comic Sales Charts - anyone got 'em?
UncommonCon Offline

Loc: Dallas, TX USA
The Order Index is a little thingy that Diamond came up with the get retailers to order more X-men (basically). It is ONLY found in their retailer packs, unless someone copies it and puts it somewhere else. You might could get it from them, but you would more likely be able to get it from a sympathetic retailer who knows and likes you. If you can find a good one that has that info from the past few years. It is REALLY unlikely you will find these on the internet since they are published ONLY by Diamond. You might find them on their website, but I'm betting you have to be an account of theirs to get access to that information. What do you need them for?

Sincerely,

------------------
James Echols
james@uncommoncon.com
Festival Producer - UncommonCon, www.uncommoncon.com
Business Coach - Uncommon Solutions
ride the revolution
Business Coach - Uncommon Solutions
ride the revolution

#463993 - 04/26/01 09:10 AM Re: Comic Sales Charts - anyone got 'em?
Jim Hanley Offline

Loc: NYC
I would add that, to the best of my recollection, Capital did it first (though it's possible that Glenwood or Pacific did indices earlier.)

Before 1996, much of the calculation would have been wildly speculative for any but one of the Big Four (DC, Narvel, Diamond, & Capital.) The fact that the multiple distributors sold comics under different terms and in different ratios would be verfy difficult to correct for in any regression or other calculation done by outsiders.

If ICv2 makes statements regarding sales from the early 1990s, I would have some faith in their numbers because they have access to better data than any of the fans doing this do.

#463994 - 04/26/01 10:30 AM Re: Comic Sales Charts - anyone got 'em?
ComicDataBoy Offline

Matthew High (the person who compiled the charts until 1998) worked at Antarctic Press,
so he was able to compare what he knew the print runs for AP books were to the "order index" numbers published by Diamond and Capital City (at that time). Then he put out the Comic Sales Charts using his special insider info. If you search for "Comic Sales Charts" on Google.com, it points to a site once run by John Northey, with data through April 1998. http://www.sentex.net/~jnorthey/comic_sales.html

But that site no longer works...
I'm looking for someone who has copies of those charts, since the site is down now.
It was available as a Microsoft Excel spreadsheet on his site in a file called "c_sales.zip"

Does anyone have these?

#463995 - 04/27/01 07:21 PM Re: Comic Sales Charts - anyone got 'em?
Carl_Henderson Offline

Loc: Dallas, TX, USA
The information you are looking for (comics sales charts based on the Diamond order index numbers) has been posted to Usenet (nearly) every month going back to around December 1995. You should be able to access them via Google (since they've put the old Deja.com archive back to 1995 back online).

Look for postings by Matt High (1995-1998), Michael Burns (1999-present), or myself (mid-2000-present). Those posts cover either the Top 100, 150, 200, or 300 best-selling comics for those months (depending on who compiled them, and when).

You will probably be out of luck trying to find data earlier than 1995. I've looked pretty hard, and have had no luck.

If you can't locate these posts by yourself, email me at the address below. I have collected most of the monthly comics sales charts since late 1995.

#463996 - 04/27/01 07:24 PM Re: Comic Sales Charts - anyone got 'em?
Carl_Henderson Offline

Loc: Dallas, TX, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by UncommonCon:
It is REALLY unlikely you will find these on the internet since they are published ONLY by Diamond.

Not at all, sales estimates based on the Diamond order index numbers have been regularly posted to Usenet for years. Matt High was doing this stuff years before ICv2.com existed. Micheal Burns (and later me) followed in his footsteps.