Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#466161 - 05/27/01 10:41 AM So why DOES Gerhard stay with Dave?
comixfan Offline

Loc: Cleveland Ohio 44124
I have been a big fan of CEREBUS since issue #150 or so.
Recent shocking events documented in the book
show us that Dave is once again ranting and raving instead of focusing on insuring (as he always has in the past) that the remaining 30 some-odd issues see print.
But, then, as it's been seen before, that's
Dave.
He is once again making fresh enemies and
getting talked about throughout the comics community. MAYBE it's just to get CEREBUS
noticed in the home stretch.
My question though is this, IF the recent
people jumping ship are so close to the core creative team of the book (Diane Shultz and Carol West)(Be it on a freelance basis or not) What is it about Dave's rantings and personal windmill fights and whatever else happens in those Canadian offices gets Gerhard to continue to work there?
1 Does he just want to get the rest of the 30 books completed for historic purposes?

2 Does he stubbornly want to just see the project thropugh to the very end for personal reasons?

3 Is he contractually BOUND all the way up until issue 300?

4 Does he SHARE all/most of/ some of the same thoughts and rantings Dave projects?
I am just curious because I have always looked for an interview I could read with the man so we could get some insight but nobody seems interested (or he just refuses)
in landing an interview with him.
I have always admired BOTH Dave and Gerhard for their vision, their stick-to-itivness, and their wrork ethic. (Fer'instence how many other books can REALLY say that the writer and artist have stuck with the book for over a ten year period AND had that same said book hit the stands every single month WITHOUT FAIL over ANY amount of time in recent memory?)
For me, THAT ALONE and the fact that Gerhard does magnificent backgrounds. (AND the fact that lately MOST of the time the backgrounds
must be the most absolute boring-est stuff to have to sludge through on a daily 8 hour basis) (THINK of it, aside from the money, would YOU want to be the background artist of CEREBUS over the last ten years? (LET ALONE the actual number of years he has BEEN the background artist)(We are taliking a daily 8 hour day here folks, day in and day out, aside from his other vice presidential duties for the Aardvark, go back and look at the backgrounds, esp. throughout GUYS, and then look yourself in the mirror and tell the truth. Personnally I liken it to factory work or even (gasp) working retail at KMART this whole time)
Anyway, just wanted to throw that into the fire. Anyone have an answer?
Very curious here. Thanx in advance.

#466162 - 05/27/01 11:48 AM Re: So why DOES Gerhard stay with Dave?
Layla Offline

Loc: USA
Quote:
Originally posted by comixfan:
Personnally I liken it to factory work or even (gasp) working retail at KMART this whole time)

Well, as any illustrator can tell you, it's boring as hell sometimes working on another person's creative vision, but it's a lot better than bagging groceries. My day job is in newspaper advertising, and while sometimes it's an uphill slog through massive amounts of dreck, it does give me a creative thrill from time to time. I'd imagine that it would be even better if you were working on a small, independent project, something you felt strongly about.

I've wondered for years about Gerhard, though. It seems particularly odd, with Dave Sim being so high-profile in the self-publishing field, that Gerhard has managed to stay out of the limelight, not just partially but completely. I used to wonder if "Gerhard" was either a) actually a pseudonym for a team of assistants that changes from time to time, or b) a fictional person that Sim put on the cover to give the book an extra air of legitimacy in an era when self-published, one-creator-one-vision books were extremely rare. Since I don't personally know any of the people involved, I can't really offer an opinion anyhow, but now my curiousity is bestirred once again.

------------------
Layla
http://www.ravenschildren.com

#466163 - 05/27/01 12:37 PM Re: So why DOES Gerhard stay with Dave?
eric hess Offline

a "gerhard" conspiracy theory thread?! fnord!

ok, seriously, i saw gerhard (or "someone who looked like the alleged gerhard in the allegedly unretouched photos in CEREBUS") at a con some years ago (pittstop?), so he really does (or "did at that time") exist.

as for why he stays on the book, that's nobody's business but his. gerhard spends a lot of time and effort to help make the book work, though, up to and including building scenery models to help visualize how the backgrounds will look from any given angle. i would hardly liken it to "working retail" -- anyone who's attended any commercirl art school has probably met people who have gerhard's ability to stay focused on time-consuming, detail-oriented projects like photo-realistic penwork. i suspect gerhard genuinely enjoys what he's doing, and relishes the challenges each new story provides.

#466164 - 05/27/01 04:29 PM Re: So why DOES Gerhard stay with Dave?
Charles Brownstein Offline

Loc: Northampton, Massachusetts, US...
Actually, I did an interview with Gerhard a few years ago for an issue of Feature commemorating Cerebus' 20th anniversary. The interview was conducted when Cerebus 225 came out and discussed Gerhard's attitudes towards the book and methods for creating the mood of each story. It also ran a section of Gerhard's reference drawings for Jaka's Story.

In the interview Gerhard discusses how he got into Cerebus:

"I just always liked to draw. It was something that passed the time and was a form of release...for the longest time drawing was something that, because I enjoyed doing it, I didn't want to do for a living because I didn't want it to become just a job. Then after I dropped out of high school and I started doing real jobs and I thought, 'Jeez, maybe drawing for a living would be a way to go.'...The jobs got more art related as they went along. I started with factory work, running a press that moulded fire-walls for cars. Then running a silk-screen press, then working at an art supply store where I made a few connections and started doing some freelance work. ... I got lots of great jobs like drawing frozen beef pies with pointillism and trying to make it look delicious...I was still working at the art supply store and doing deliveries [at the time he met Dave]. So I would knock on the door, waking Dave at some ungodly hour in the morning, around eleven o'clock. He'd show up at the door in his bathrobe. I'd hand him his Letratone, his Cerebus tone. We'd exchange pleasantries and sometimes indictable substances. Then I'd be on my way. ... He saw some work of mine and he knew I was trying to make a go of it doing freelance illustration. I actually started doing ads for A-V back in their big "Even More in 84" campaign, I did the design and paste up for stuff like that. ... [Then] Archie Goodwin at Epic Magazine was interested in doing some color stories for Epic. Dave, not being too keen on color, asked me that if he laid out the pages, inked Cerebus and the word balloons, would I be able to put in the backgronds and color it up. We gave it a try. They were a big hit. We did a couple more, did a couple cons, one thing led to another and he asked me if I wanted to start working on the monthly book. The rest, as they say, is history."

In an interview Gerhard did in Comic Culture a couple of years previous to mine he said (and I haven't seen the interview in years and am paraphrasing) that there seems to be a curse associated with his interviews because every magazine that's ever run an interview with him has gone out of business shortly thereafter.

As I understand it, Comic Culture ceased about a year after that interview was published. The Cerebus issue ended up being my last issue of Feature. Coincidence, conspiracy, or strange mojo? I'll leave that for someone else to figure out.

CB

[This message has been edited by Charles Brownstein (edited 05-27-2001).]

#466165 - 05/27/01 04:34 PM Re: So why DOES Gerhard stay with Dave?
madget Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Charles Brownstein:
Actually, I did an interview with Gerhard a few years ago for an issue of Feature commemorating Cerebus' 20th anniversary. The interview was conducted when Cerebus 225 came out and discussed Gerhard's attitudes towards the book and methods for creating the mood of each story.

Don't suppose you have a link to it, or could post it? I'd like to read that.

K

#466166 - 05/27/01 04:50 PM Re: So why DOES Gerhard stay with Dave?
Charles Brownstein Offline

Loc: Northampton, Massachusetts, US...
>>Don't suppose you have a link to it, or could post it? I'd like to read that.

K<<

Hit the post button before putting in the excerpt.

Unfortunately the original file for that interview was part of a hard drive meltdown in 99, so I no longer have a reliable electronic version of it to post. I've been meaning to OCR all the old Feature stuff, but don't have enough hours to do so.

I do still have a few copies of the issue left. If you're interested, e-mail me privately.

CB

#466167 - 05/27/01 06:06 PM Re: So why DOES Gerhard stay with Dave?
brent Offline

"Coincidence, conspiracy, or strange mojo?"

Strange mojo. Definitely strange mojo.

#466168 - 05/27/01 10:03 PM Re: So why DOES Gerhard stay with Dave?
comic.geek Offline

Loc: Nanaimo,BC
Quote:
Originally posted by Brent:
"Coincidence, conspiracy, or strange mojo?"

Strange mojo. Definitely strange mojo.

Patrick Kellar has that same curse... Web sites disappear once he writes for them. Although Savant is still going... for now. [img]/resources/ubb/wink.gif[/img]

------------------
----------
ComicGeek - http://www.comicgeek.ca - Daily Comic News, A Week In Review, Interviews and other self-involved tripe...

#466169 - 05/27/01 10:51 PM Re: So why DOES Gerhard stay with Dave?
Chris Breach Offline

Loc: Sydney, Australia
Quote:
Originally posted by comixfan:
[...] IF the recent people jumping ship are so close to the core creative team of the book (Diane Shultz [...]

If the rest of your grammar, spelling and layout didn't display further incoherence, one might suspect this mispelling as being an indication that you were taking the piss...

Quote:
[...] and Carol West)(Be it on a freelance basis or not) What is it about Dave's rantings and personal windmill fights and whatever else happens in those Canadian offices gets Gerhard to continue to work there?

Gerhard doesn't work there anymore, and hasn't for over a year.

According to Sim's recent interview for Diamond Dialogue, Gerhard works at home and comes in one day a week to drop off/pick up pages and do his share of the office work.

Quote:
Personnally I liken it to factory work or even (gasp) working retail at KMART this whole time)

Except that working retail doesn't get you 40% ownership of a constantly-in-print creative property and 50% of the profits of the entire company.

I thought that the dog Gerhard drew in the latest issue was a fantastic addition to the humour and characterisation of the short story, incidentally.

#466170 - 05/28/01 01:22 PM Re: So why DOES Gerhard stay with Dave?
Fernando H. Ramirez Offline

Loc: San Antonio, TX, Bexar
Charles:
Re: FEATURE = just wanted to tell you that I really enjoyed the issue, in particular BECAUSE of the Gerhard interview. It was nicely designed, the questions were good, and the illustrations accompanying it were insightful. I'm sorry your magazine ended... and I have to admit I was wondering why I never saw another issue.

------------------
http://www.fernandoramirez.com

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >