Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#467116 - 06/04/01 12:43 AM Todd about Eclipse
Pol Offline

Loc: Wichita KS
I know your times importent, but why did you buy Eclipse? People can harp on and on about Miracleman, but Eclipse was so much more. You had the DNAgents, Black Terror and Airboy. Many of the other properties that Eclipse published were creator owned (or I think they were) like Scout, ESPers and Tapping the Vein. Then they also did a lot of licenced work like Dirty Pair, Appleseed, James Bond, and the Hobbit. It just doesn't seem worth it. Especially since you've sat on all these charaters except for The Heap, a relatively small supporting character from Airboy which appeared several times in Spawn and got it's own action figure. I know your sitting on several issues of the Terror (formally the Black Terror) and last time I checked Beau Smith said you were waitng for the right time to publish. I really can't wait for this to see the light of day. I loved what Beau did in the BT mini. Then I see something like the Airboy pin up that was done for your Spawn incentive book (of which the name excapes me at the moment) and am glad that nothing ever became of that. I realize that the market isn't what it once was, but to just sit on thee characters is a waste of them. Hopefully some of them will be published once again (please get Chuck Dixon to finish what he started in Airboy 50, it's been almost twelve years).

#467117 - 06/04/01 02:00 AM Re: Todd about Eclipse
Hunk Offline

He's not using Tapping the Vien but making toys with clive barker. i pitty him if he messes with clive

[This message has been edited by Hunk (edited 06-04-2001).]

#467118 - 06/14/01 12:28 AM Re: Todd about Eclipse
BeauSmith Offline

Pol,

Thanks for the words of iron on mine and Chuck's time on The Black Terror. I know I speak for Chuck when I say thanks. That book was a blast to do and I'm still pretty stoked on the character and story that I created for that run on The Black Terror. I would've loved for Eclipse to collect the book into a trade paperback before we went under, but it didn't happen in time.

I aggree with you on Chuck's run on Airboy. That series was way ahead of it's time and is still heads above most of the stuff being written today.

Tim Truman's Scout book was another one that was way ahead of it's time. I think that in the next couple of years a lot of readers are gonna "discover" those books that Eclipse put out and they will become as hot as the search for Miracleman is today. Our print runs on those books weren't huge. They will be kinda' hard to find.

Thanks again, amigo

#467119 - 06/14/01 12:54 AM Re: Todd about Eclipse
paulski Offline

Loc: Adelaide, SA, AUSTRALIA
Quote:
Originally posted by Hunk:
i pitty him if he messes with clive

Fingers crossed. That's something I'd pay to see - Clive kicking Toddy's butt.

Truth be told though, if Toddy actually did toys from the Hellraiser movies, I'd line up for them! [img]/resources/ubb/eek.gif[/img]

------------------
Paul Rogan, scourge of the stupid & arrogant.

#467120 - 06/14/01 01:19 AM Re: Todd about Eclipse
BeauSmith Offline

We are kinda' teaming up with Clive with our McFarlane Toys . We'll be doing Clive Barker's Tourtured Souls figures this year. Ya gotta have a very strong stomach to gaze your eyes on em'.

#467121 - 06/14/01 01:55 AM Re: Todd about Eclipse
paulski Offline

Loc: Adelaide, SA, AUSTRALIA
Thanks Beau, I saw them in the latest Previews. Nasty.
But is there a possibility of doing the actual characters from the movies: Pinhead, Butterball, Chatterer, Camerahead, etc?

------------------
Paul Rogan, scourge of the stupid & arrogant.

#467122 - 06/14/01 11:03 AM Re: Todd about Eclipse
RANDY Offline

Loc: U.S.A.
Now everyone can correct me if I'm wrong about this. According to what I can remember Todd McFarlane gets the winning bid for Eclipse's trademarks and other assets at an auction for the princely sum of $25,000. To me $25,000 is a substantial amount of money. I'm sure that most of the people who post messages on this board would agree but to McFarlane it's got to be chump change in comparison to his real wealth. So why did he buy MM if not to dangle it over Neil Gaiman's head like you would tease a dog. It just goes to prove that the rich really are different.

#467123 - 06/14/01 12:45 PM Re: Todd about Eclipse
BeauSmith Offline

Paul,

We'll see how the new figures go and then Todd and Clive may get together and make some more. They get a along real well so anything can happen.

I know from my days at Eclipse that Clive was always a great guy to work with. A real gentleman.

That's how we got Steve Niles on board at TMP. We worked with Steve in conjunction with Clive and Steve's own Arcane publishing back then. Steve is a real writing machine. That guy is always ahead of schedule and a another real stand up guy to boot.

#467124 - 06/14/01 12:48 PM Re: Todd about Eclipse
BeauSmith Offline

Randy,

Naw, bud. When Todd bought Eclipse I'm pretty sure that dangling Miracleman over Neil was never a thought in his crowded head.

We're gettin' too "comic book good vs. evil" here. There's enough drama in real life without bringing any extra stuff here to comics.

I'm not tryin' to be a smart-ass. Just givin' my thoughts on it.

Beau

#467125 - 06/14/01 01:20 PM Re: Todd about Eclipse
Jim Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by BeauSmith:
We're gettin' too "comic book good vs. evil" here. There's enough drama in real life without bringing any extra stuff here to comics.

"If somebody else thinks that they have control of this, then do something about it. Because I'll be right there on you, right now... If somebody feels as strong about Miracleman as I do, then I invite them to take as hard a stance as I will. If somebody steps that way, then we'll let somebody else decide which of us is right."
--Todd McFarlane

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >