Topic Options
#467990 - 06/09/01 09:04 PM June 2001 "Top 300" Comics, "Top 25" TPBs/GNs, and "Top 10" Magazines Sales Estimates
Carl_Henderson Offline

Loc: Dallas, TX, USA
It's time again for the "Top 300" sales estimates list.

Sorry for the lateness of this month's report. It took me awhile to round up enough actual sales data points to feel comfortable issuing these numbers. As it stands, I only had 8 data points this month--which is lower than I like.

The report can be found at:
http://j_carl_henderson.tripod.com/june-2001.txt

It is also posted to Usenet in the rec.arts.comics.misc and the rec.arts.comics.info newsgroups.

Things may be looking up for the industry--even if you ignore all the flashy x-books at the top of the chart. To see what I mean take a look at position #300. Sales for the "last" slot on the chart were 1,060 in June 2001, compared to sales of 650 for the comic book in position #300 in May 2001. That's a big jump--even accounting for the traditional rise in sales for the summer and fall. Hopefully, this is an indication that Marvel's rising tide is lifting the smaller boats (rather than running over them).

#467991 - 06/10/01 10:35 AM Re: June 2001 "Top 300" Comics, "Top 25" TPBs/GNs, and "Top 10" Magazines Sales Estimates
Robert Boyd Offline

Loc: Milford, CT, USA
This is very interesting, and the only thing I'd like to know that isn't listed but is implicit is a ranking of average sales per title (both in unit rankings and dollar rankings). WHile I don't think there'd be any huge suprises in such a list, there might be a few. And it would provide a more accurate tool with which to compare the realtive success of books from large publishers with many titles and small publishers with fewer titles.

#467992 - 06/10/01 05:37 PM Re: June 2001 "Top 300" Comics, "Top 25" TPBs/GNs, and "Top 10" Magazines Sales Estimates
comic.geek Offline

Loc: Nanaimo,BC
Quote:
Originally posted by Robert Boyd:
This is very interesting, and the only thing I'd like to know that isn't listed but is implicit is a ranking of average sales per title (both in unit rankings and dollar rankings). WHile I don't think there'd be any huge suprises in such a list, there might be a few. And it would provide a more accurate tool with which to compare the realtive success of books from large publishers with many titles and small publishers with fewer titles.

I did a bit of analysis though I'm not sure if that's what you're looking for:
http://www.comicgeek.ca/articles/Junestatistics.htm

What is interesting is the number of titles that DC puts out in comparison to Marvel.

------------------
----------
ComicGeek - http://www.comicgeek.ca - Daily Comic News, A Week In Review, Interviews and other self-involved tripe...

#467993 - 06/11/01 04:44 PM Re: June 2001 "Top 300" Comics, "Top 25" TPBs/GNs, and "Top 10" Magazines Sales Estimates
Chris Knowles Offline

Loc: USA
Great news on the sales front. After 7 years of bad, bad news it's great to see a glimmer of sunshine. I hate to say I told you so, but I did predict this in my "2001- the Comics Comeback begins" thread, a thread where I was subject to incessant attacks by naysayers and smartypants. But this is just the beginning- we've got a culture to rebuild and there's always the looming threat of the self-sabotage that has cursed comics for the past couple of decades. There's a endemic loser mentality plaguing Comics culture- maybe it's just because of recent bad times, maybe not. But seeing sales spike up for the first time in recent memory can only be a welcome relief to the folks whose livelihoods depend on comics. Let's hope the trends hold, and let's hope there isn't undue alarmism if and when sales sag during the traditionally slower fall and winter cycles.